2017 Gold Cup

PhillyCanuck

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Why is everyone so confident about getting a good results against French Guiana? There are about 5 or 6 players that play in Ligue 1 or Ligue 2.

No depth. And they have 4 max. 1 in Ligue 1

I think this is a good draw. We avoid the USA and Mexico and we haven't taken points off either in recent memory.

I think Costa Rica is arguably on par with the Americans but I like our chances against them. Had a draw against them in 2015 and beat them in 2007. Did we play them in the Gold Cup in 2013, 11, or 09?

I like the Honduras draw. I think they are weaker than Panama and we beat them in Vancouver without Arfield.

I also like the short trip from Houston to Dallas. All teams in our group are in the same boat, but with our depth being an issue, we want minimal fatigue.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think this is a good draw. We avoid the USA and Mexico and we haven't taken points off either in recent memory.

I think Costa Rica is arguably on par with the Americans but I like our chances against them. Had a draw against them in 2015 and beat them in 2007. Did we play them in the Gold Cup in 2013, 11, or 09?

I like the Honduras draw. I think they are weaker than Panama and we beat them in Vancouver without Arfield.

I also like the short trip from Houston to Dallas. All teams in our group are in the same boat, but with our depth being an issue, we want minimal fatigue.

2015-07-14 Toronto, ON, CAN CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 0 - 0 CRC BMO Field 16,700
2013-05-28 Edmonton, AB, CAN Men's International Friendly CAN MNT 0 - 1 CRC Commonwealth Stadium 8,102
2009-07-10 Miami, FL, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 2 - 2 CRC FIU Stadium 17,269
2007-09-12 Toronto, ON, CAN Men's International Friendly CAN MNT 1 - 1 CRC BMO Field 9,325
2007-06-06 Miami, FL, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 2 - 1 CRC Orange Bowl 17,420
2005-07-07 Seattle, WA, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 0 - 1 CRC QWest Field 15,831
2004-10-13 Burnaby, BC, CAN FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 1 - 3 CRC Swangard Stadium 4,728
2004-09-08 San Juan de Tibás, CRC FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 1 CRC Estadio Ricardo Saprissa Aymá 13,000
2003-07-12 Foxborough, MA, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 1 - 0 CRC Gillette Stadium 33,652

20 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:
2015-07-14 Toronto, ON, CAN CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 0 - 0 CRC BMO Field 16,700
2013-05-28 Edmonton, AB, CAN Men's International Friendly CAN MNT 0 - 1 CRC Commonwealth Stadium 8,102
2009-07-10 Miami, FL, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 2 - 2 CRC FIU Stadium 17,269
2007-09-12 Toronto, ON, CAN Men's International Friendly CAN MNT 1 - 1 CRC BMO Field 9,325
2007-06-06 Miami, FL, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 2 - 1 CRC Orange Bowl 17,420
2005-07-07 Seattle, WA, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 0 - 1 CRC QWest Field 15,831
2004-10-13 Burnaby, BC, CAN FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 1 - 3 CRC Swangard Stadium 4,728
2004-09-08 San Juan de Tibás, CRC FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 1 CRC Estadio Ricardo Saprissa Aymá 13,000
2003-07-12 Foxborough, MA, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 1 - 0 CRC Gillette Stadium 33,652

Thanks!

So friendlies aside, we have 2 draws and a win in the last 3 matches against the ticos. Including friendlies we have 1 win 1 loss and 3 draws since 2007.

Better record than versus the Americans, I believe.

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

No depth. And they have 4 max. 1 in Ligue 1

We really can't accuse any team of having no depth - we have no depth! We play Straith as a CB! Ludovic Baal and Sloan Privat are good players that will lead Guyane Francaise to a win over us unless

A ) we are well organised

B ) All our top guys aren't injured (We need Jr & Arfield)

C ) Hutch doesn't retire and choses to play one more Gold Cup.

I would love for Canada to win this, but realistically we probably won't. Just outperform the US and get further than them, and all is wonderful. Canada has a much better team and potential talent than the US and this group shouldn't be that hard to advance. While we can laugh at the Yanks as they crash the group stage as hosts.

We're still a decade away from getting Star MNT members.  I would say start the youth movement, but even among the young guys, not potential other than Larin and Hoilette.  I'd say let the CSA beg the Caps to play Davies in the tournament, so Larin won't feel all the pressure to score.  Also somebody ask Cavallini to return.  He's playing in a bigger club in Uruguay now.  I'd say the CSA look into nationalizing Ousted as a Canadian, he's probably one of the top three keepers in MLS.  Better than Borjan.

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

A piece of string walks into a bar and orders a drink. The barman says "Sorry, we don't serve strings in here". So the string leaves the bar, twists himself over and under and through, and pulls apart his ends until they are ragged. He then returns to the bar and again orders a drink. The barman looks at him suspiciously and asks "Are you a string?". To which the string replies "No, I'm a frayed knot."

Chuckle. As a former high school teacher, that was one of my go to jokes :)

Now if we have a chance for a chat in Wpg remind me to tell you the one about the baby twin skunks. 

57 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Give me a young MLS based team with Chapman, Osorio, Hamilton, Edwards, Larin, Tabla (if he accepts) Davies etc

I don't want to see a bunch of older, lower league guys who have failed before. Plan for the future.

This. +1

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

I'd say let the CSA beg the Caps to play Davies in the tournament, so Larin won't feel all the pressure to score.  

They can beg all they want, but it won't suddenly make Davies a Canadian.  He doesn't have his citizenship yet, and isn't eligible to play for Canada.

12 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

clearly indicates that he'll be the coach for the Gold Cup.

All I hope is that we bring the best available players, and not some of the have beens.

Or it could indicate that he's the best person to talk about the national team at the time of the article being written...

Archived