2017 Gold Cup

PhillyCanuck

Johnson is our best DM after the departure of Hutchinson which is now or in max 3-4 months and must play there. Was great at tfc as he covered very well for Bradley when he went forward. We became bad at right back when Floro decided to permanently play Henry at that spot while he had no place there instead of a solid, consistent and experienced Ledgerwood. There is still Ledgerwood and then some players who could fight for a back up or even starter spot at RB.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Keegan said:

Ineffective?  He was an MLS all-star as a wide mid for RSL.  In the 2009 Gold Cup he played wide for us as well, didn't look too bad there even if the middle is his natural position.  

The game was played in SLC and he was called in as an injury replacement. Not really an All-Star at that point yet.

While he wasn't garbage he was nowhere near as good going forward on the wing as he has been in the middle. He seems reluctant to take defenders on one-on-one out on the wing and tends to play it safe, in the middle Will seems less inhibited somehow. I wouldn't expect much offensively from him at RB unless he's wide open - especially with even less cover behind him.

I'm with Big M, i'd rather see Will in the middle and live with Ledgerwood at RB instead of Piette in the middle.

5 hours ago, jpg75 said:

The game was played in SLC and he was called in as an injury replacement. Not really an All-Star at that point yet.

While he wasn't garbage he was nowhere near as good going forward on the wing as he has been in the middle. He seems reluctant to take defenders on one-on-one out on the wing and tends to play it safe, in the middle Will seems less inhibited somehow. I wouldn't expect much offensively from him at RB unless he's wide open - especially with even less cover behind him.

I'm with Big M, i'd rather see Will in the middle and live with Ledgerwood at RB instead of Piette in the middle.

Yeah I know what you are saying, and although he had an easy time being selected as he was injury cover in his home city, he still had to get selected, so good on him for that. He also won goal of the year that season, let's not forget.

I like Will better in the middle too, but it's not that he become some offensive dynamo once he moved inside with Portland. A lot of his goals came from PK's so if you take those out you get a true measure of what his offensive output was from open play.

I think Ledgerwood has to be cover for RB and not a starter. I am fine if he has to start but I'd much prefer Will to play in that position if he's already playing there for Orlando in MLS and doing well (which I think he will). With Arfield and Osorio as centre midfielders already, I think we can shift Will up there and bring on Ledgerwood or Aird to fill in if we need.

I don't see Piette being a part of this whole equation. I don't think he should be a starter regardless of where Will is playing. 

7 hours ago, Big_M said:

Orlando has plenty of right backs and recently signed one from europe. Johnson will probably be and is better off fighting for a CM spot with Carrasco, Nocerino and Rocha, who only moved up from usl last year.

We will see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Just got back from the Haiti vs Nicaragua game (at Stade Sylvio Cator stadium in Haiti). Lots of fun. Haiti better not shit the bed on Tuesday and lose 0-2.

20170325_010256.jpg

What was the score? Can't find it online

I know we still have over 3 months to wait, but here is who I think will be select as of today.

GK - Leutwiler 

GK - Thomas

GK - Borjan

D - De Jong

D - Tissot

CB - James

CB - Straith

CB - Vitoria

D - Ledgerwood 

D - Attakora

M - Osorio

M - Teibert

M - Piette

M - Johnson

M - Arfield

M - Hoilett

M - Aird

M - Bustos

F - Larin

F - Akindele 

F - Ricketts 

F - Haber

F - Jackson

14 hours ago, Ruffian said:

To me Bustos did not show well in the Scotland game and he does not even make the Whitecaps first team so therefore should not be called in for for the top Canada team.

I agree, would much rather Osorio or Chapman in that role

15 hours ago, Ruffian said:

To me Bustos did not show well in the Scotland game and he does not even make the Whitecaps first team so therefore should not be called in for for the top Canada team.

I didn't see the game but others disagree, and think Bustos was very good vs. Scotland. Maybe you are attracted to different attributes than others are?

But your point is correct - if he isn't playing in MLS he shouldn't be in the GC. 

@Fastfeet2 you agree Bustos shouldn't be in the GC roster because he isn't playing but then say Chapman should be in the GC. Chapman won't likely be playing every week in MLS either unfortunately.

That said, I see no issue with calling-up guys who are playing every week as a 19-20 year old in USL as a sub for the GC. Bustos is an MLS player so this won't apply to him. I don't follow TFC too closely but I believe Chapman is in the same contract position as Bustos.

@Obinna your roster looks good to me. 

On 3/14/2017 at 3:33 PM, Big_M said:

Johnson is our best DM after the departure of Hutchinson which is now or in max 3-4 months and must play there. Was great at tfc as he covered very well for Bradley when he went forward. We became bad at right back when Floro decided to permanently play Henry at that spot while he had no place there instead of a solid, consistent and experienced Ledgerwood. There is still Ledgerwood and then some players who could fight for a back up or even starter spot at RB.

I agree. With Hutch winding down (someone remind me if he has retired from Canada - I assume GC will be his swan song?) Johnson has to be played in CM. Has to. Full stop. He's our best CM/CDM with Hutch gone. Ledg is a career RB, so he has to play there. Not Henry, please not Henry. What was Floro thinking?

1 hour ago, ThiKu said:

I didn't see the game but others disagree, and think Bustos was very good vs. Scotland. Maybe you are attracted to different attributes than others are?

But your point is correct - if he isn't playing in MLS he shouldn't be in the GC. 

@Fastfeet2 you agree Bustos shouldn't be in the GC roster because he isn't playing but then say Chapman should be in the GC. Chapman won't likely be playing every week in MLS either unfortunately.

That said, I see no issue with calling-up guys who are playing every week as a 19-20 year old in USL as a sub for the GC. Bustos is an MLS player so this won't apply to him. I don't follow TFC too closely but I believe Chapman is in the same contract position as Bustos.

@Obinna your roster looks good to me. 

I dont think he should be in the roster because he's not good enough. Canada always has senior players not getting significant club minutes. And TFC rate Chapman highly, people forget he took Johnsons spot last year, but got injured and lost his place in the rotation.

12 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

I dont think he should be in the roster because he's not good enough. Canada always has senior players not getting significant club minutes. And TFC rate Chapman highly, people forget he took Johnsons spot last year, but got injured and lost his place in the rotation.

When? The only time he got playing time was when we had a lot of injuries (Like Johnson). Cooper took Johnson's spot

5 minutes ago, canta15 said:

When? The only time he got playing time was when we had a lot of injuries (Like Johnson). Cooper took Johnson's spot

Johnson injured himself June 29, 2016. Cooper signed for TFC 18 August 2016. Those dates seem to line-up with Chapman's playing time increase.

Archived