2017 Gold Cup

PhillyCanuck

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, matty said:

Just going off what findlay said when he and i spoke he doesn't see himself as a long term coach for canada right now

Opposite of long-term is short-term....Short-term to me is until after the Gold Cup/end of 2017.

Anybody hoping for a new manager to come in before the Gold Cup is dreaming.

13 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Opposite of long-term is short-term....Short-term to me is until after the Gold Cup/end of 2017.

I'm mostly addressing the "he IS the new coach" comment. He did hint that he would be gone before the gold cup but nothing seemed certain.

I am greatly worried that he'll be the boss at the gold cup

27 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Or it could indicate that he IS the new Coach.

He may get the job, he may not.  Just saying that the interim coach being quoted in an article doesn't really indicate anything in my opinion.  

Just on here there seems to be a lot of jumping to assumptions but saying that they're facts or near to being a fact.

All in all.....who thinks its beneficial for there to be a new coach in place before the Gold Cup with minimal time to prepare?

I sure don't.

30% is coaching and tactics, but you need to know who your players are, who are impact players..etc.

2 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

All in all.....who thinks its beneficial for there to be a new coach in place before the Gold Cup with minimal time to prepare?

I sure don't.

I think if they introduce him for the june camp then yes but if he misses that then fuck no

16 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

For me it's not in for the March camp....1 camp isn't enough for a new coach.

I mostly agree but i also have little trust in findlay's tactics. If the new coach has a sound history and puts together a large camp and plays 2 games in june i would prefer them to findlay

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I think you are working backwards from your preconceived notion. You don't think the CSA will hire someone before the Gold Cup, so when you hear someone say "The interim manager doesn't see themself as a long term coach for the team" you think that means he will be around until after the Gold Cup.

Just last week Peter Montopoli was saying they are still hoping to hire someone before the Gold Cup. I am not saying (and neither is Mr. Montopoli) that a coach will definitely be hired before the Gold Cup, but it appears there is a chance. Apologies for repeating myself from the Floro replacement thread, but I think it's relevant.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/tony-fonseca-canadian-soccer-association-1.4007572

"Montopoli says the plan is still to have a new men's coach in place by this summer's Gold Cup. And if things fall into place, the coach could come sooner.

"We're down to a short list," Montopoli said of the search."

Personally, I really hope we have a new coach for the Gold Cup. The sooner the better.

If you look at the picture, Findlay has a half-Windsor knot in his tie, which to me points to the fact that he knows that the new coach coming in is at least part English.  I think that much is obvious.

However, the noticeable five o'clock shadow he has speaks to a habitual use of razor blades with a propensity for shoddy workmanship, which is indicative of a Portuguese razor blade, so I would guess that this new coach coming in would be part English with a latin flair.  More specifically, a Brit with a Portuguese mother who favours a 3-5-2 formation to the 4-3-3 which is de rigeur these days.  I think that's pretty clear in the article.

Either that, or it's just a fucking puff piece after a draw and there are no discernible conclusions that anyone can make at this point.

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I sure don't.

30% is coaching and tactics, but you need to know who your players are, who are impact players..etc.

It would be nice if one was hired today. There'd still be time to get to know the player pool with friendlies. That's not going to happen as we know.

Speaking of friendlies, I think we should strongly consider Texas as a home base for preparation. Ideally, we'd have 7 to 10 days worth of training prior to the opener, with 1 to 2 friendlies. Then we'd fly to new York for match 1. Fly back to Texas, and prepare for match 2. 

59 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

If you look at the picture, Findlay has a half-Windsor knot in his tie, which to me points to the fact that he knows that the new coach coming in is at least part English.  I think that much is obvious.

However, the noticeable five o'clock shadow he has speaks to a habitual use of razor blades with a propensity for shoddy workmanship, which is indicative of a Portuguese razor blade, so I would guess that this new coach coming in would be part English with a latin flair.  More specifically, a Brit with a Portuguese mother who favours a 3-5-2 formation to the 4-3-3 which is de rigeur these days.  I think that's pretty clear in the article.

Either that, or it's just a fucking puff piece after a draw and there are no discernible conclusions that anyone can make at this point.

I am ashamed to admit that when I usually I write LOL, I did not actually laugh out loud.  There, I've said it.   But not this time.

LOL

6 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Can I digress a little?

Anybody hoping for a new manager to come in and bring about/implement serious change for the Gold Cup is dreaming. 

Is it dreaming to hope the new manager can exit the group stage?

1 hour ago, masster said:

2 Canadian cities were going to apply to host Gold Cup games this summer, but there were scheduling conflicts and that did not happen. Montagliani expects Canadian cities to apply for 2019.
http://www.espnfc.com/concacaf-gold-cup/story/3078346/concacaf-gold-cup-considering-venues-outside-of-united-states-victor-montagliani

Why not just get canada to host the whole thang vic?

55 minutes ago, matty said:

Why not just get canada to host the whole thang vic?

Probably because when Toronto hosted the only Good Cup game in Canada it pulled in less than the average attendance for that Worpd Gold* Cup even when Canada was playing at BMO

8 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Probably because when Toronto hosted the only Good Cup game in Canada it pulled in less than the average attendance for that Worpd Cup even when Canada was playing at BMO

You mean the year toronto was focused on the pan am games and canada was focused in the wwc and the game was announced a month prior? Hard to pull a crowd when you don't have the attention of the populous and a proper marketing push.

People who point at how poor the gold cup drew in toronto really need to register that it's hardly a blemish

20 minutes ago, matty said:

True but that seems like something that could be easily worked around

Not if you're suggesting Canada hosts the entire thing like you were.  Other than Saputo and Olympic (and maybe Moncton) any other possible stadium has a tennant (CFL mainly and Jays if they look at Sky Dome).  The CFL isn't shutting down for almost 19 days so Canada can host a Gold Cup.

26 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Probably because when Toronto hosted the only Good Cup game in Canada it pulled in less than the average attendance for that Worpd Gold* Cup even when Canada was playing at BMO

The organization of that gold cup game in Toronto was nothing short of total utter fuckery. 

Archived