2017 Gold Cup

PhillyCanuck

9 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Having Aird back there is also a terrible idea as he struggled to play right back at Vancouver as his attacking skills are much better than his defensive ones.

So choose Straith, who I placed as an either/or. Or suggest something better.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/03/2017 at 7:23 PM, Mister215Guy said:

It's ridiculous that the US hosts this every time. They know they won't advance from the group without home advantage. Canada and Mexico are capable of hosting this and a few Central American countries can joint host too.

Ever heard of the Caribbean block? They have a fair bit of control over who hosts and the US makes the most money for everyone

Things might be changing but they do still have a lot of control

Like the 3-5-2 but with Osorio in the middle and Arfiel on the right.

maybe 

larin-akindele

hoilett/Davies-Osorio-Arfield

atiba/Johnson

ouimette-James-Henry/Morgan-Aird

borjan 

bench

chapman

osorio

cavalini ?

virtoria

de jong

straitg

teirbet ?

we actually have attackers now it's great

Larin looks less comfortable with a second striker (or maybe its just tough to play with Rivas).. in either case i think the better way to keep him from being isolated is to play a narrower 433 with one of the advanced mids playing as a false ten and one as an box to box 8 - similar to the korea game where Bustos played as the false 10.. the question is who should play that role given Marco's challenges cracking the starting line-up. Hoilet is one option as he's done ok playing back to goal and has shown the ability to shake defenders during wcq games but i don't think he has the vision. akindele is similar - ie he'd be more of a second striker than a creative force. so, based on a random fifa team sheet test run i think our best option for both strong concacaf humidity defending with awesome counter attacking options from any angle, I'd like to try:

larin

hoilet                                 akindele

davies

airfeild

hutch

de jong                            johnson

james  lefevre

In my dreams I see Davies one day becoming an all round Pogba-esk menace as a false 10, backtracking 8, blazing to catch Larin flick-ons like a second striker.. so hell why not give it a go now and give us a taste of the future today!

i also see us having lots of winger options and few creative box to box guys in our depth chart so seems like a good idea to start grooming him there and leave room on the wings for petrasso, tabla, choniere, edwards, malik, and co in the future.  

Put this on the Scotland thread:

Best current 11 IMO:

-----------MB----------

--WJ--WL--SV--MD--

-----------AH----------

-------JO----SA-------

---TA----CL-----JH---

Fonzie (cap-tie!), Jackson, Ricketts as offensive subs

Doneil in place of Wandrille if he's healthy/match fit by then 

Chapman, Ledgerwood, Tiebert, Bekker as midfield subs

Leutwiler and Thomas as extra GKs

CanadaGoldCup.png.9b3686179966693193780f673ebc08a7.png

In my head I keep coming up with a lineup like this as I feel it plays to many of our player's strengths. Hoilett and Davies are both very capable at running at players and taking them on. Larin can recieve service from out left with de Jong who is our best crosser of the ball imo and Larin is no longer isloated up top with Hoilett in behind him. Defence is honestly a crapshoot with injuries and a lack of depth.

On 3/12/2017 at 8:10 PM, Soccerpro said:

Good forward line and midfield. Very bad defence.

Well, in fairness, putting Johnson in central D was a typo. 

I'd like to see Larin paired with a more skillful and closer-by partner. So I move Hoilett up top.

My goal is to give guys who are earning playing time at a good level the chance to show it on this stage without totally sacrificing competitiveness. Aleman has played a little in DM for Saprissa, So I;m giving him the chance to earn the spot. One day that may or may not be Cristante's spot. If McKendry keeps getting PT, then maybe it's him, instead. 

There's a logjam of possibles-but-not-playing-yet guys at left back. I don't know if any of them will be playing much by June. Teibert is probably too good of a player to be benchwarming. So I would give him first crack at LB and see if he can handle it.

If Johnson locks down RB for Orlando, IT would be OK to put Aird there and move Johnson into the DM role. 

At CB .... beats me. I figure James will be there until someone beats him out. This team might be relying on David Edgar until he's 35. Although Stanese's recent starting appearances in the 3BL are interesting. 

9 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Funny how people forget how ineffective Will was as a wide midfielder for RSL. He has been much better as a CM.

Ineffective?  He was an MLS all-star as a wide mid for RSL.  In the 2009 Gold Cup he played wide for us as well, didn't look too bad there even if the middle is his natural position.  

10 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Funny how people forget how ineffective Will was as a wide midfielder for RSL. He has been much better as a CM.

RSL played a diamond so Will wasn't playing as an out-and-out wide player, but even if he was I wouldn't call his time in Utah as "ineffective". That's where he made a reputation for himself.

If Floro can try and shoe horn Henry into a RB (and we all slag Henry), and coaches before that did the same to Attakora, whats wrong with moving Johnson??  Why shouldnt we be excited about Johnson actually playing RB in MLS.  Lots of CM have moved to the backline as they got older.  Wasnt H.Camara (Montreal) a mid when he came to the impact?  

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

If Floro can try and shoe horn Henry into a RB (and we all slag Henry), and coaches before that did the same to Attakora, whats wrong with moving Johnson??  Why shouldnt we be excited about Johnson actually playing RB in MLS.  Lots of CM have moved to the backline as they got older.  Wasnt H.Camara (Montreal) a mid when he came to the impact?  

Dario Srna one of the biggest examples

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I don't think anyone here has a problem with moving Johnson to RB.  My guess is that Will himself would have a problem with that.  And when Will has a problem with things, things generally don't work out.

Archived