2017 Gold Cup

PhillyCanuck

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Not if you're suggesting Canada hosts the entire thing like you were.  Other than BMO, Saputo and Olympic (and maybe Moncton) any other possible stadium has a tennant (CFL mainly and Jays if they look at Sky Dome).  The CFL isn't shutting down for almost 19 days so Canada can host a Gold Cup.

No one is saying shut down but schedule around which is doable.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Toronto hosted in 2015, there were 16,674 fans there.

To cherry pick some stats to point out that American fans haven't always turned out in droves, when Canada won the Gold Cup in 2000, the two semi-final games and the final had a combined attendance of 13,243. That's 4,414 on average over the 3 final and most important games of the tournament.

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Was the Detroit game a few years back well organised? How did the Vs get their own section?

Different Gold Cup....we had a section set up for us by the stadium with the help of the CSA.

We have had other sections as well. Seattle ect.... 

1 minute ago, matty said:

No one is saying shut down but schedule around which is doable.

I think it's debatable that it's doable without shutting down the CFL.  With field quality (for both sports) an issue and how most people don't want football lines on their field I find it hard to believe that it can be pulled off.  The Gold Cup has 13 venues this year and we have two at worst, three at best (forgot Argos were in in BMO in my original post) that have no conflicts that would have to be worked around.

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

When Toronto hosted in 2015, there were 16,674 fans there.

To cherry pick some stats to point out that American fans haven't always turned out in droves, when Canada won the Gold Cup in 2000, the two semi-final games and the final had a combined attendance of 13,243. That's 4,414 on average over the 3 final and most important games of the tournament.

Canada played in that double-header of course. Sadly, Canadian support was minimal apart from the V's. In 2000 the USA was knocked out early and didn't play in the games you mention. If they had been there, the attendance numbers would have many times higher. 

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Did they do this for this Gold Cup? Even if it's only 20 seats at Red Bull or are we on our own?

We can get something set up for sure. 

I'll look into it now. 

8 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

Canada played in that double-header of course. Sadly, Canadian support was minimal apart from the V's. In 2000 the USA was knocked out early and didn't play in the games you mention. If they had been there, the attendance numbers would have many times higher. 

Fine. Here's a list of USA games that drew less than the 16,674 that were in Toronto in 2015.

1991 - USA vs Guatemala (other game Trinidad vs Costa Rica) - 6,344 in Pasadena
1993 - USA vs Jamaica (other game Honduras vs Panama) - 11,642 in Dallas
1993 - USA vs Panama (other game Honduras vs Jamaica) - 13,771 in Dallas
1993 - USA vs Costa Rica (semi-final) - 14,826 in Dallas
1996 - USA vs Trinidad (looks like they didn't do double headers this year) - 12,425 in Anaheim
1998 - USA vs Cuba (other game Honduras vs Trinidad) - 11,234 in Oakland
1998 - USA vs Brazil (yes, f***ing Brazil!) - 12,298 in Los Angeles. That wasn't a double header, it was the semi-final.
2002 - USA vs Canada (semi-final, other game Costa Rica vs South Korea) - 7,241 in Pasadena
2002 - USA vs Costa Rica (final, other game Canada vs South Korea) - 14,432 in Pasadena
2003 - USA vs Martinique (other game Cuba vs Canada) - 8,780 in Foxboro
2003 - USA vs Cuba (quarter-final, other game Costa Rica vs El Salvador) - 15,627 in Foxboro
2003 - USA vs Costa Rica (3rd place match) - 5,093 in Miami
2005 - USA vs Cuba (other game Canada vs Costa Rica) - 15,831 in Seattle
2005 - USA vs Canada (other game Costa Rica vs Cuba) - 15,109 in Seattle
2005 - USA vs Costa Rica (other game Canada vs Cuba) - 15,211 in Foxboro
2009 - USA vs Grenada (other game Honduras vs Haiti) - 15,387 in Seattle
2015 - USA vs Panama (3rd place match) - 12,598 in Chester (Philadelphia)

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Fine. Here's a list of USA games that drew less than the 16,674 that were in Toronto in 2015.

1991 - USA vs Guatemala (other game Trinidad vs Costa Rica) - 6,344 in Pasadena
1993 - USA vs Jamaica (other game Honduras vs Panama) - 11,642 in Dallas
1993 - USA vs Panama (other game Honduras vs Jamaica) - 13,771 in Dallas
1993 - USA vs Costa Rica (semi-final) - 14,826 in Dallas
1996 - USA vs Trinidad (looks like they didn't do double headers this year) - 12,425 in Anaheim
1998 - USA vs Cuba (other game Honduras vs Trinidad) - 11,234 in Oakland
1998 - USA vs Brazil (yes, f***ing Brazil!) - 12,298 in Los Angeles. That wasn't a double header, it was the semi-final.
2002 - USA vs Canada (semi-final, other game Costa Rica vs South Korea) - 7,241 in Pasadena
2002 - USA vs Costa Rica (final, other game Canada vs South Korea) - 14,432 in Pasadena
2003 - USA vs Martinique (other game Cuba vs Canada) - 8,780 in Foxboro
2003 - USA vs Cuba (quarter-final, other game Costa Rica vs El Salvador) - 15,627 in Foxboro
2003 - USA vs Costa Rica (3rd place match) - 5,093 in Miami
2005 - USA vs Cuba (other game Canada vs Costa Rica) - 15,831 in Seattle
2005 - USA vs Canada (other game Costa Rica vs Cuba) - 15,109 in Seattle
2005 - USA vs Costa Rica (other game Canada vs Cuba) - 15,211 in Foxboro
2009 - USA vs Grenada (other game Honduras vs Haiti) - 15,387 in Seattle
2015 - USA vs Panama (3rd place match) - 12,598 in Chester (Philadelphia)

Cool. Very comprehensive! I'll just say that I doubt there were 16k at BMO but the same can probably be said for many of those games too. 

my selections for 

GOLD CUP 2017 (23 MAN SQUAD)
GK Leutwiler 1
GK Borjan 18
GK Crepeau 22
DEF Dixon 12
DEF Henry 5
DEF Edgar 15
DEF Victoria 19 
DEF James 4
DEF De Jong 17
DEF Tissot 3
DEF Aird 2 
MID Osorio 6
MID Arfield 16
MID Atiba 13
MID Johnson 8 
MID Piette 14 
MID Hoilett 10 
MID Teibert 20 
ATT Ricketts 11 
ATT Larin 9 
ATT Davies 21
ATT Akindele 23 
ATT Jackson 7 

Just now, DannyFromToronto23 said:

my selections for 

GK Leutwiler 1
GK Borjan 18
GK Crepeau 22
DEF Dixon 12
DEF Henry 5
DEF Edgar 15
DEF Victoria 19 
DEF James 4
DEF De Jong 17
DEF Tissot 3
DEF Aird 2 
MID Osorio 6
MID Arfield 16
MID Atiba 13
MID Johnson 8 
MID Piette 14 
MID Hoilett 10 
MID Teibert 20 
ATT Ricketts 11 
ATT Larin 9 
ATT Davies 21
ATT Akindele 23 
ATT Jackson 7 

I feel this is a very versatile squad with Dixon, tissot, DeJong being full backs who can play On the wings,  Hoilett can play in the middle as a CAM or as a LW , Osorio can play on the wings or anywhere in the midfield also RICKETTS can play multiple positions up top or on the wings and if our midfield has Arfield and Atiba playing in deep positions and Osorio in front of them with Larin as a striker with Hoilett & RICKETTS on the wing that can be deadly if they jell quickly and this summer being most likely Atiba's last time playing competitively for Canada I feel like This  squad can go far this summer 

6 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

my selections for 

GK Leutwiler 1
GK Borjan 18
GK Crepeau 22
DEF Dixon 12
DEF Henry 5
DEF Edgar 15
DEF Victoria 19 
DEF James 4
DEF De Jong 17
DEF Tissot 3
DEF Aird 2 
MID Osorio 6
MID Arfield 16
MID Atiba 13
MID Johnson 8 
MID Piette 14 
MID Hoilett 10 
MID Teibert 20 
ATT Ricketts 11 
ATT Larin 9 
ATT Davies 21
ATT Akindele 23 
ATT Jackson 7 

Edgar won't make it. Henry is a big question mark because of his injury. So, Lefevre and Straith would be better picks. Davies is also a question mark for other reasons. I think Haber would be put instead.

First, good of you to put number suggestions, DannyFromToronto23,  that was a hell of a lot of work. Setting yourself a high posting standard.

That squad suggestion, with Edgar still injured, points to our major weakness right now: centre defense. 

I feel that our keeping is fine, usually we have gotten acceptable performances from keepers at lower levels and leagues.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First, good of you to put number suggestions, DannyFromToronto23,  that was a hell of a lot of work. Setting yourself a high posting standard.

That squad suggestion, with Edgar still injured, points to our major weakness right now: centre defense. 

I feel that our keeping is fine, usually we have gotten acceptable performances from keepers at lower levels and leagues.

NANA ATTAKORA is my pick to play instead of edgar  then my second pick is  ADAM STRAITH

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I like the possibilites, we're starting to have more depth.

could a guy like chapman or wright or Awuah make it ?

i know kwame i go to high school with his bro and he went to high school with one of my relatives  i have played pickup soccer with him so i  would like for him to make it  

On 3/10/2017 at 7:29 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

What we went with some version of a 3-5-2?

------------------------Akindele - Larin ----------------------

------------Junior ----------Arfield ------------Ricketts---------

-----------------------Hutch ------Johnson-----------------------

----de Jong / Adekube----Jakovic --------Aird / Straith------

------------------------------Borjan--------------------------------

I don't imagine all of these guys will be coming, and it's not perfect, but what about the essence of the formation? Three key issues we most need to address are Larin being too isolated, our sudden surplus of high-quality attacking players and our general weakness on defense. This formation puts some of the high-work rate guys in places where the extra terrain covered might make up for some of the imbalances.

5 minutes ago, nolando said:

As a general rule, yes. Just working with what we have. I was tempted to slot in James on the left but was a little wary of pairing him with Jakovic.

Having Aird back there is also a terrible idea as he struggled to play right back at Vancouver as his attacking skills are much better than his defensive ones.

Archived