Cyle Larin

shermanator

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Same at Moenchengladbach, only they have striking problems, only Raffael and Hazard are scoring for them it seems, and no one off the bench.

Yeah, Gladbach don't really have a striker in the mould of a true center forward, like Larin. Raffael and Lars Stindl generally lead the line but they are smaller, more technical kind of attackers. Kind of like dual false 9's, if that makes any sense. 

Thorgan Hazard generally plays on the right side of midfield. He's been the most consistent scorer of the three, but 4 of his 6 goals in the first half of the season came from the penalty spot. He has 5 assists and when I've seen him play, he's more of a dribbler/passer/crosser/creator type of player. 

Raffael has 6 goals as well, but they've come through 3 different braces (2 goal games). He holds the dubious distinction of receiving some of Kicker magazine's best AND worst-rated performances of the season (I've felt the rollercoaster ride as I have him on my Kicker Managerspiel team).

Stindl has 4 goals, which is off pace from the 11 he scored last season. They also have Raul Bobadilla, the Paraguayan striker, who had a pretty good track record at Augsburg but he has spent most of the first half of the season injured. As someone noted earlier, I can see the appeal of Larin to Gladbach. He's a young, relatively cheap striker in the mould of which they don't really have at the moment (tall, fast and can play as a target man). I'd love to see this move happen.

3 hours ago, ditty said:

Yeah, Gladbach don't really have a striker in the mould of a true center forward, like Larin. Raffael and Lars Stindl generally lead the line but they are smaller, more technical kind of attackers. Kind of like dual false 9's, if that makes any sense. 

Thorgan Hazard generally plays on the right side of midfield. He's been the most consistent scorer of the three, but 4 of his 6 goals in the first half of the season came from the penalty spot. He has 5 assists and when I've seen him play, he's more of a dribbler/passer/crosser/creator type of player. 

Raffael has 6 goals as well, but they've come through 3 different braces (2 goal games). He holds the dubious distinction of receiving some of Kicker magazine's best AND worst-rated performances of the season (I've felt the rollercoaster ride as I have him on my Kicker Managerspiel team).

Stindl has 4 goals, which is off pace from the 11 he scored last season. They also have Raul Bobadilla, the Paraguayan striker, who had a pretty good track record at Augsburg but he has spent most of the first half of the season injured. As someone noted earlier, I can see the appeal of Larin to Gladbach. He's a young, relatively cheap striker in the mould of which they don't really have at the moment (tall, fast and can play as a target man). I'd love to see this move happen.

Thanks for the analysis, I really do not follow them as you do, so your view is appreciated. You are basically saying that they might want to use him even starting (?) as they do have a need for a stronger striker up high. Or that in any case, he does not have direct competition for the kind of player he is? 

In that case, the scenario is even better than Besiktas. A  higher level league, and no direct competitor as he'd have with Negredo in Turkey.

BTW: looking at sources, the only one talking about Larin to BM is that Sun story, so not the most reliable. While Tosun to Everton or elsewhere gives you many different sources. So it sounds to me like they are still negotiating. 

BM is back training after their winter break today or tomorrow I think.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Report: Borussia Monchengladbach win race to sign Orlando's Cyle Larin | MLSsoccer.com
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/01/02/report-borussia-monchengladbach-win-race-sign-orlandos-cyle-larin

That article's only source is the same Sun article that was posted here. That's pretty lazy of MLS given the Sun's reputation.

9 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

That article's only source is the same Sun article that was posted here. That's pretty lazy of MLS given the Sun's reputation.

Disagree with your sentiment that it's lazy.  They labelled it as a report and gave the source, letting the reader judge it on it's merit.  They're a website that collects stories on their players.  It's more lazy not to report it.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks for the analysis, I really do not follow them as you do, so your view is appreciated. You are basically saying that they might want to use him even starting (?) as they do have a need for a stronger striker up high. Or that in any case, he does not have direct competition for the kind of player he is? 

I'm not really sure what Gladbach's immediate intentions for Larin might be (should they sign him). They're having a successful season (currently top 4 in the BL) and I'm not sure they would immediately want to move away from using Stindl and Raffael together up top. My thought is that Larin gives them a different kind of player to use up front than what they currently have and a different kind of option. I would guess that they would slowly bleed him in. Like I said, Bobadilla has been a pretty successful BL striker; he's just been injured this season. I would see him as initially above Larin in the striker pecking order, provided he's healthy. But again, he's a different kind of striker. He's more of a tank, with the same kind of build as, say, Lucas Cavallini. Maybe Gladbach simply see Larin as a young, athletic striker with potential whom they can develop. I really don't know as I haven't yet seen anything in the German media on a potential move. 

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

Disagree with your sentiment that it's lazy.  They labelled it as a report and gave the source, letting the reader judge it on it's merit.  They're a website that collects stories on their players.  It's more lazy not to report it.

I get where you are coming from, but there is something a bit funny about this situation given that MLS holds Larin's contract, and this is from their official website.  They may be an aggregator, but they are also in a position to confirm or deny.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get where you are coming from, but there is something a bit funny about this situation given that MLS holds Larin's contract, and this is from their official website.  They may be an aggregator, but they are also in a position to confirm or deny.  

Not sure of the MLS website specifically but most of the other major sports websites try to let their news parts have a repeated editorial control over the news section. Now I'm sure the conspiracy folks won't buy it but I personally give the money the benefit of the doubt. 

On 2017-12-31 at 7:03 PM, jpg75 said:

I'd be happy with either Gladbach or Besiktas. Guessing Gladbach (a shrewdly run club) caught wind of how low the fee is going to be for Larin and see an opportunity for investment.

I thought the DUI would have scared them off. I hear German clubs are really strict when it comes to those kind of things...even cutting youth players if they smoke. Granted, Larin isn’t a youth player.

On 2018-01-01 at 12:08 PM, Wingback6 said:

Generalization perhaps. Different for Turkish players than for non-turkish players. But I struggle to think of a single non-Turkish player who has launched his career in the Superlig. In Contrast..... Van Persie, Eboue, Drogba, Ba, Hutch, Pepe, N. De Jong, Isla, Anelka, Babel, Menez, Sandro, Eto'o, Nasri, Djourou.... I could go on, and that is only a list of players who are on Turkish teams atm, or were recently. I could go on.

Not all of them have, or will end their careers in Turkey, but all went there in the twilight of their careers. Not the dawn of them. 

nevermind...badname22 already made that devil’s advocate post.

On 2018-01-01 at 6:04 PM, badname22 said:

Whilst I agree for the most part,  There have been instances of players spending the prime of thier career ( or younger) and moving to a top 5 league before 30. Some instances include:

-Nani to Valencia  (28 at the time) 

-Simon Kajer to Sevilla (27 at the time) 

-Nordin Amrabat to Malaga (26 at the time) 

-Bruma to RB Lepzig (21 at the time) 

So if Larin can preform well in Turkey than he will most likely get offers from teams in a top 5 league.

You can add Jason Denayer to that list...sort of. Man City clearly see it being a good league for that particular individual to develop in.

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, ditty said:

I'm not really sure what Gladbach's immediate intentions for Larin might be (should they sign him). They're having a successful season (currently top 4 in the BL) and I'm not sure they would immediately want to move away from using Stindl and Raffael together up top. My thought is that Larin gives them a different kind of player to use up front than what they currently have and a different kind of option. I would guess that they would slowly bleed him in. Like I said, Bobadilla has been a pretty successful BL striker; he's just been injured this season. I would see him as initially above Larin in the striker pecking order, provided he's healthy. But again, he's a different kind of striker. He's more of a tank, with the same kind of build as, say, Lucas Cavallini. Maybe Gladbach simply see Larin as a young, athletic striker with potential whom they can develop. I really don't know as I haven't yet seen anything in the German media on a potential move. 

Stindl is a great player. Maybe they foresee him wanting to leave abroad at the end of this season.

On 1/1/2018 at 5:04 PM, badname22 said:

Whilst I agree for the most part,  There have been instances of players spending the prime of thier career ( or younger) and moving to a top 5 league before 30. Some instances include:

-Nani to Valencia  (28 at the time) 

-Simon Kajer to Sevilla (27 at the time) 

-Nordin Amrabat to Malaga (26 at the time) 

-Bruma to RB Lepzig (21 at the time) 

So if Larin can preform well in Turkey than he will most likely get offers from teams in a top 5 league.

So. The first two don't count. Because they did not launch their careers in Turkey. What I said was that Turkey is where you end your career, not begin it.

The other two... never heard of them. Bruma would be the only one, since he was 21, when he made the move. So... you got one.

One guy. Kinda. Cause I am sure most people on here haven't heard of him. Leipzig is hardly a big club... and I am sure most people have heard of the people on my list.

To everyone else. Let it go. My comment would not even be considered controversial to most football fans.

If he goes to Turkey, it will be a waste of his prime years. 22 is plenty old in world football.

1 hour ago, Wingback6 said:

So. The first two don't count. Because they did not launch their careers in Turkey. What I said was that Turkey is where you end your career, not begin it.

The other two... never heard of them. Bruma would be the only one, since he was 21, when he made the move. So... you got one.

One guy. Kinda. Cause I am sure most people on here haven't heard of him. Leipzig is hardly a big club... and I am sure most people have heard of the people on my list.

To everyone else. Let it go. My comment would not even be considered controversial to most football fans.

If he goes to Turkey, it will be a waste of his prime years. 22 is plenty old in world football.

What are you trying to say then? That first, you can't be a Turk, they don't count. Then, you have to go to Turkey really young, launching age? You basically cannot have started yet. You have to be an amateur going pro. Fine. Then you have to move through the Turkish ranks and burst onto the scene somewhere else. And become well-known enough for it to count for you. 

All the while ignoring that Larin has already launched his career in MLS, three years ago. Which makes us wonder what exactly you are trying to argue.

Why don't you just keep up with this generous line of logic and offer to buy us all a drink if Borjan scores in his next outing for Canada. We'll all go home saying what a generous guy you are, no doubt.

1 hour ago, Wingback6 said:

The fist too didn't really end their careers in turkey though, they came  to Turkey develop  and because of that they got moves to big teams in big leagues. 

In terms of the last two, you not knowing the players doesn't make my arguement any worse, Amrabat went on to sign for Watford and Bruma has been a starter for Lepzig this year.  

If you want more examples I got you with that too: 

-Gabriel Tamas to Spartak (aged 20). He went on to play at the top of England,France and Spain as well as the Champions league.

-Jay-Jay Okocha to PSG (24 at the time). His legacy is well known. 

12 hours ago, badname22 said:

The fist too didn't really end their careers in turkey though, they came  to Turkey develop  and because of that they got moves to big teams in big leagues. 

In terms of the last two, you not knowing the players doesn't make my arguement any worse, Amrabat went on to sign for Watford and Bruma has been a starter for Lepzig this year.  

If you want more examples I got you with that too: 

-Gabriel Tamas to Spartak (aged 20). He went on to play at the top of England,France and Spain as well as the Champions league.

-Jay-Jay Okocha to PSG (24 at the time). His legacy is well known. 

badname22 just wait for it. We will soon find out that those guys really don't count either. We are going to have to do some more research, this is going to be a hard argument to win.

I say, just go to the Wiki page of foreign players who have been through Turkey. Makes you wonder if it is an alright place for an emerging player who has already launched his career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Süper_Lig_players

As just reported there, according to CNN Turkey this morning, Larin confirmed to Besiktas. 

https://www.cnnturk.com/spor/futbol/cyle-larin-istanbula-geliyor-son-dakika-besiktas-transfer-haberleri-8-ocak-2018

Article also says that they could not pry Slimani away from Leicester, that Torres might be on their list now that At Madrid has repurchased Diego Costa, and that they are also looking at an Arda Turan loan. I agree that it makes little sense for Besiktas to replace Tosun with Larin, who is not proven, they seem to want a bit more experience to be sure.

This is the translation for the paragraph on Larin in the linked article:

Besiktas is claimed to have signed a 4 + 1 year contract with Orlando City's Canadian striker Cyle Larin. It was suggested that the player would not be paid, but the contract of the player ended on 31 December 2018. 3.5 million euros are mentioned. Larin's annual salary will be 1.5 million euros. The 22-year-old goalscorer is expected to come to Istanbul and sign the contract and join the Antalya camp on Wednesday.

Let's hope Besiktas  or Orlando make it official soon.  That Tosun to Everton move seemed to take forever after it was presented as a given.  Makes me think that Besiktas are the sort to negotiate right until the final t is crossed, and willing to risk jeopardizing a deal with those who are used to calling a deal finalized once you shake hands.  Either way great move for Larin.  

First, from reading the Turkish press (translated), it does seem everyone agrees that the deal is done, that he is to be presented on Wednesday. Other papers are doing profiles of him, some not very well researched. Even with this purchase Besiktas is about 25 million euros ahead and has money to spend. The article also suggests they are going after Leicester City's Iheanacho. 

For those who are doubting whether this is a done deal or not still: there are about a dozen videos in Turkish on youtube already on the signing, some with 20,000 visits just today.

What I am not sure about in that translation is where it says he won't be paid. Do they mean he does not get a signing bonus? I can't think of any other logical explanation for that line.

The team is training in the south in Antalya, where teams from Germany often do a winter camp as well. 

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First, from reading the Turkish press (translated), it does seem everyone agrees that the deal is done, that he is to be presented on Wednesday. Other papers are doing profiles of him, some not very well researched. Even with this purchase Besiktas is about 25 million euros ahead and has money to spend. The article also suggests they are going after Leicester City's Iheanacho. 

For those who are doubting whether this is a done deal or not still: there are about a dozen videos in Turkish on youtube already on the signing, some with 20,000 visits just today.

What I am not sure about in that translation is where it says he won't be paid. Do they mean he does not get a signing bonus? I can't think of any other logical explanation for that line.

The team is training in the south in Antalya, where teams from Germany often do a winter camp as well. 

Saw the youtube videos also and yeah, plenty of views. I am confident this is already done and I expect the offical annoucement on wednesday.

Speaking of Iheanacho, his fellow club and super eagles teammate Musa is also being linked with a transfer to Turkey, but to which club is anyones guess. His agent said he'll remain in England though.

Although Musa can play centre forward, he's more of a wide player, while Kelechi is actually more of a centre forward, so he'd drastically cut into Larin's playing time. They just bought him for 25 million Euros though, so I would be surprised if it wasn't a loan, if it even happens at all.