Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

So 41 players signed so far.  Rosters estimated at 20-23 players which would put the league around 151 players total.

That leaves us with around 110 players to go and around 50 days until training camp (assuming its first or second week of March).. we should be averaging around 2-3 signings a day from here.  

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Or 3-4 a week from every team. Should be lots to follow on the app ;)

How many people are using it btw?

The CPL Centre Circle Mobile App (if that's the one you mean) has been downloaded like 100 times according to Google Play. A lot of CPL and CPL related social media and online numbers are pretty shit. Kind of concerning TBH.

Edited by matty

Yeah I only knew about it from someone posting here. There is no clear link to it on the website and they haven't pushed it enough. That said maybe they are using these first few months to iron out the kinks and test it out before pushing it hard just prior to season start. 

Just 100 people. That makes me more sad I didnt win the "one of the 5 signed training jerseys" competition. I doubt even half of that 100 even entered lol. 

26 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Yeah I only knew about it from someone posting here. There is no clear link to it on the website and they haven't pushed it enough. That said maybe they are using these first few months to iron out the kinks and test it out before pushing it hard just prior to season start. 

Just 100 people. That makes me more sad I didnt win the "one of the 5 signed training jerseys" competition. I doubt even half of that 100 even entered lol. 

It says 100+ downloads. When does it change? 1000? Crazy that you have to give your phone number also.

6 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

It says 100+ downloads. When does it change? 1000? Crazy that you have to give your phone number also.

when it reaches 500 downloads. it's possible there are like 499 downloads atm

also to give into this, when was the last time we heard stef cebara? he's been without a deal since september 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Takes time. Just got my hat from Pacific FC after earning every point possible and spending them all.

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

So 41 players signed so far.  Rosters estimated at 20-23 players which would put the league around 151 players total.

That leaves us with around 110 players to go and around 50 days until training camp (assuming its first or second week of March).. we should be averaging around 2-3 signings a day from here.  

I would guess that many of the international players will show-up in camp looking to earn contracts. Caps got Camilo out of nowhere this way. A couple of those guys could really move the league forward quickly.

27 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I would guess that many of the international players will show-up in camp looking to earn contracts. Caps got Camilo out of nowhere this way. A couple of those guys could really move the league forward quickly.

don't forget guys from the open trials coaches might want to get a better look at

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, Ansem said:

His older brother Jamaal Smith was the one trialist who passed the open try out/publicity stunt of over 1000 players for Toronto FC at their pre season in December 2006 before their inaugural 2007 season.    

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports07/06tfc018.htm

Edited by Rocket Robin

Firstly, I am not too worried about the amount of players still needed. I do not doubt that most teams probably have multiple signings lined up/completed, but are just stalling for marketing purposes. That just makes sense, as frustrating as it is for us fans. In addition, as a few people have noted, most teams will have spots (maybe 3 to 7ish?) open going into camp for random internationals and open trial guys, 

It is also really unique to consider that seven teams are building a roster from scratch. Most established teams in a transfer window or offseason make maybe 1/3 of a roster turnover. Obviously it varies with the circumstances. It will certainly make for a very interesting first few weeks in the league. 

I recently noticed there's quite a few decent Canadian goalkeepers out of contract right now:

• Angelo Cavalluzzo (previously at TFC II)
  • Tomer Chencinski (Shamrock Rovers)
  • Nathan Ingham (Pittsburgh Riverhounds)
  • Callum Irving (Ottawa)
  • Darrin McLeod (Swope Park)
  • Quillan Roberts (LAFC)
  • Jonathan Viscosi (TPS)

Some of these guys could definitely be CPL starters, and any of them would be solid signings.

Edited by Zem
Can't forget Chencinski!

20 minutes ago, RickC said:

What about Roberto Stillo, last season's joint GK of the year in L10? With his experience in Italy too, one would think he'd have a shot with a CPL club.

Definitely, although I was focusing on guys who recently played professionally. It's not surprising that L1O guys are out of contract, although I'd love to see Stillo complete the comeback.

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Not surprising if you're Hamilton. With TFC not bringing Jansen back, Ricketts leaving and not being replaced, and Altidore getting older (and continuing to be injury-prone), he should have a good opportunity to see some good minutes this season.

It will be up to him to run with this opportunity, and hopefully get a starting role the following season if one of/both of Altidore and Gio don't return to TFC. Never really thought he would end up in CPL this season.

2 hours ago, Zem said:

I recently noticed there's quite a few decent Canadian goalkeepers out of contract right now:

• Angelo Cavalluzzo (previously at TFC II)
  • Tomer Chencinski (Shamrock Rovers)
  • Nathan Ingham (Pittsburgh Riverhounds)
  • Callum Irving (Ottawa)
  • Darrin McLeod (Swope Park)
  • Quillan Roberts (LAFC)
  • Jonathan Viscosi (TPS)

Some of these guys could definitely be CPL starters, and any of them would be solid signings.

Nice list! Also:

- Mark Village (FCC)

- Nolan Wirth (Phoenix - now in VMSL)

- John Smits (where is he??)

- Marcel DeBellis 

Plus guys who should be looking for a loan.. Melvin, Pantemis and Busti.  

Including Stillo, who @RickC mentioned that’s about 15 keepers that could be potentially on CPL teams.  Assuming there are 2 keepers a team and Oxner will end up with HFX, there are about 10 spots remaining.