Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

Just now, matty said:

Yay also guessing Daniels to York 9 or Crepeau to Pacific

Crepeau is from Quebec so no go, also he will be battling for the #1 spot.  Melvin on the other hand is from Victoria and has almost no shot at playing a match for Vancouver so that’s a good call. 

Where is Nolan Wirth btw? 

Daniels to York 9 would be depressing as we watch draft pick Dorsey automatically enter frat boy Vanneys lineup.  

Is tfc still talking to Hamilton..maybe sign him and loan him out.  Let him stay in shape in CPL, call him up if they have an emergency.  Watching TFC pick up these mids (haha frat boys) I wonder about any mids that dont want to drop down with the TFC2.  Srbely, Okello Daniels etc wont get much out of being in USL-2.  

23 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Crepeau is from Quebec so no go, also he will be battling for the #1 spot.  Melvin on the other hand is from Victoria and has almost no shot at playing a match for Vancouver so that’s a good call. 

So what if he's from Quebec? Why are people obsessed with keeping teams local? Crepeau is the more costly option for Vancouver so if they're going with MacMath, then it makes sense to send him elsewhere and have him play to keep him fresh.

10 minutes ago, matty said:

So what if he's from Quebec? Why are people obsessed with keeping teams local? Crepeau is the more costly option for Vancouver so if they're going with MacMath, then it makes sense to send him elsewhere and have him play to keep him fresh.

I think PFC has said they want to field a team of only or almost only BC players.

38 minutes ago, matty said:

I agree but as @BuzzAndSting said PFC is likely going for an all BC team.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Is tfc still talking to Hamilton..maybe sign him and loan him out.  Let him stay in shape in CPL, call him up if they have an emergency.  Watching TFC pick up these mids (haha frat boys) I wonder about any mids that dont want to drop down with the TFC2.  Srbely, Okello Daniels etc wont get much out of being in USL-2.  

He would tear this league up...

I'd say Shome to FCE makes sense, Shaffleburg to HFX... Any of the Vancouver kids to PFC...

I could see PFC signing Matthew Baldisimo and then going after Michael on loan from the 'Caps. It is in everyone's best interest for Michael to get minutes this year as he is highly rated, and he most likely wont see them in MLS with the cap space Vancouver has this season and the seemingly obvious push for Simon Colyn to be the next big prospect people want to see on the first team... This is the most obvious move for me. 

Creapeau wont be leaving the caps, he's been tweeting PR tweets for them.

Montgomery is the best defender in the draft and some think he's MLS ready, and Dallas have a huge hole at CB, so I doubt it is him.  

5 hours ago, Kent said:

So far CPL teams have taken a number of L1O players, but it seems PLSQ has gone unnoticed. That seems like a bad oversight. With the publicity L1O gets (at least in anglo circles) this isn't that surprising, but I wonder if anybody caught on to this and scouted PLSQ during the season. If, say, Halifax Wanderers focused on PLSQ, they could pluck the best players from there, and let the other 6 teams fight over L1O players. Seems like that could have been a decent strategy.

jutsesoccer is reporting that 11 PLSQ players are supposed to join CPL. 2 of those were drafted in the USports draft. Also, I think the fact that they've had 2 trials in Southern Ontario vs 1 in Quebec and that you have two clubs in that province, that it meant more L1O players. 

3 hours ago, matty said:

Crepeau didn't go to Vancouver to be loaned out to a CPL team - might as well just have resigned with the Impact and sent back to Ottawa if that were the case.

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

Shaffleburg to Halifax makes no sense. He's not a MLS player anyways. 

I don't see how it doesn't make sense... Other than if TFC need him to play for TFC 2 for multiple years to fill out some sort of MLS homegrown play standard or something like that....

He's from Nova Scotia, Hart knows him, he played and scored the final penalty in the friendly with Fortuna Düsseldorf, and he probably has better shot at developing under Hart... How much has any attacking player gained from playing on one of the worst teams in the league in TFC2.... Attacking players need to see the ball to grow, and TFC2 barely sees the ball. At Halifax he would be guided by a very experienced coach, who plays an attacking style, and judging by recent signings, would surround him with players with significantly more experience than he would be at TFC2. TFC2 have 6 attacking players signed... Shaffelburg is the oldest and has 0 pro minutes played. 

If TFC really rate him, one could argue it makes more sense for them to loan him to Halifax, than keep him at TFC2. 

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

I don't see how it doesn't make sense... Other than if TFC need him to play for TFC 2 for multiple years to fill out some sort of MLS homegrown play standard or something like that....

He's from Nova Scotia, Hart knows him, he played and scored the final penalty in the friendly with Fortuna Düsseldorf, and he probably has better shot at developing under Hart... How much has any attacking player gained from playing on one of the worst teams in the league in TFC2.... Attacking players need to see the ball to grow, and TFC2 barely sees the ball. At Halifax he would be guided by a very experienced coach, who plays an attacking style, and judging by recent signings, would surround him with players with significantly more experience than he would be at TFC2. TFC2 have 6 attacking players signed... Shaffelburg is the oldest and has 0 pro minutes played. 

If TFC really rate him, one could argue it makes more sense for them to loan him to Halifax, than keep him at TFC2. 

I cant argue with most of the TFC2 bashing, but some of this is just wrong.  They were one of the worst teams in USL, but lets not get crazy, they werent blown out and dominated every game.  Plenty of games they were in it and had amateur lapses or mistakes that cost them points, making things look worse than the were.  

TFC2 helped Hamilton along, Edwards and Telfer are 2 examples of unheralded guys who came in and after a season with TFC2 stuck with the big club.  Okello and Srbely, Akinola are progressing nicely.  Its not a dumpster fire.   If you are looking at this upcoming year (lower level of competition) then the other complaints about TFC2 being terrible wont apply because most of these USL-1 teams will have young rosters and they will be on a more even playing field.  As for being the oldest Srbely is 20 and Hundal  is 19. And I think TFC signed him so that Halifax couldnt have him (being pricks).  He could have waited and signed with halifax, but he didnt.   

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I think PFC has said they want to field a team of only or almost only BC players.

damn if they're doing that. sorry @Keegan for snapping

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Crepeau didn't go to Vancouver to be loaned out to a CPL team - might as well just have resigned with the Impact and sent back to Ottawa if that were the case.

he went to battle for #1 against a more experienced vet. if he ends up behind macmath, he likely won't want to ride the pine

Edited by matty

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I cant argue with most of the TFC2 bashing, but some of this is just wrong.  They were one of the worst teams in USL, but lets not get crazy, they werent blown out and dominated every game.  Plenty of games they were in it and had amateur lapses or mistakes that cost them points, making things look worse than the were.  

TFC2 helped Hamilton along, Edwards and Telfer are 2 examples of unheralded guys who came in and after a season with TFC2 stuck with the big club.  Okello and Srbely, Akinola are progressing nicely.  Its not a dumpster fire.   If you are looking at this upcoming year (lower level of competition) then the other complaints about TFC2 being terrible wont apply because most of these USL-1 teams will have young rosters and they will be on a more even playing field.  As for being the oldest Srbely is 20 and Hundal  is 19. And I think TFC signed him so that Halifax couldnt have him (being pricks).  He could have waited and signed with halifax, but he didnt.   

I'm not sure we can chalk up a -35 goal differential to amateur lapses... they were a very bad team. They didn't create a lot of chances and were bottom third of the league in goals for with 42 goals. MLS players loaned to the team who you mentioned (Hamilton and Akinola) had 13 of those goals and obviously don't train with TFC2, just take minutes away from TFC2 players (Obviously I don't mind this, but from a TFC2 players point of view i'd imagine it's not great). 

Hamilton really hasn't made a jump up unfortunately, even with more MLS minutes through injury... Although is obviously very good at the USL level, we knew that already though from his time with Wilmington. It hasn't impacted his MLS play much though. Telfer started at TFC2 at 23? Then he had a hot start burning Will J at right back, but a lot of people do that, he then fizzled out. Akinola spends more time at US youth camps than with TFC2. Edwards I will give you, although he's only really shined as a wing back, not a forward outside of a select few performances in MLS. 

I did forget about Srbely, and Hundal and Shaffelburg are the same age, I was wrong there. Although for the most part my point stands, super inexperienced... 17, 16, 14 year olds on the roster, if they are all super prospects playing like Davies when he was 16 then great! Otherwise, not ideal competition for players around them.

With TFC2 dropping down a league, obviously some of these issues will be less of an issue, but with that also comes the fact that its pretty much an MLS reserve league, and the matches really don't matter. So, matches that matter, in front of real paying fans vs 200 people in a reserve league? 

Although it really is a moot point because, I do agree TFC signed him so Halifax couldn't and I highly doubt TFC would be willing to loan him.... Even if it might make the most sense for everyone involved. 

26 minutes ago, matty said:

he went to battle for #1 against a more experienced vet. if he ends up behind macmath, he likely won't want to ride the pine

I agree he wont want to ride the pine, the problem is if he was with a CPL team, he couldn't be called up in the event of an injury or suspension. If the insides are to be believed, I'm pretty sure they are saying CPL has said only half and full year loans, no moving up and down freely like USL offers. Don't want to be viewed as a reserve league.... If only 2 keepers will be on rosters, as is the rumour, CPL teams can't afford an early loan recall for a keeper. 

He would be the best keeper in the league though, I just can't see it happening. 

19 minutes ago, BradMack said:

I agree he wont want to ride the pine, the problem is if he was with a CPL team, he couldn't be called up in the event of an injury or suspension. If the insides are to be believed, I'm pretty sure they are saying CPL has said only half and full year loans, no moving up and down freely like USL offers. Don't want to be viewed as a reserve league.... If only 2 keepers will be on rosters, as is the rumour, CPL teams can't afford an early loan recall for a keeper. 

He would be the best keeper in the league though, I just can't see it happening. 

Vancouver pays a fee to end a loan early (it's pretty common elsewhere I believe), Pacific picks up a tier 3 guy ASAP for emergency and signs replacement in the window.

15 minutes ago, matty said:

Vancouver pays a fee to end a loan early (it's pretty common elsewhere I believe), Pacific picks up a tier 3 guy ASAP for emergency and signs replacement in the window.

Then youre stuck with a backup starting, and a tier 2 backup until you can bring someone in mid season, when you're not sure who might be avaliable.... I mean yes, your solution to this problem is a possible solution, but why invite the opportunity for the problem to occur in the first place? Rosters are already going to be small, injury problems will cause major issues, why risk this on top of it? The only way I can see a keeper loan happening is if an MLS team has 4 keepers.