Ricardo Ferreira

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, costarg said:

So I'm guessing Ricardo is unable to pass a physical?  How else is it possible no one would take a chance on his pedigree?

To think he enters the peak age for a CB, commits to CANMNT, and vanishes.  Rather Keyser Soze wouldn't you say?

"peak" is a relative term for him. By the time he committed he couldn't get any gametime anywhere.

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The reality is that he may not want to play for for the $50-$80k a team may be able to pay him.  I love CPL but there are certain players it simply can’t get.   

Which is the problem with the CPL, they need a DP or something like that. So they can get a bigger name or keep a young talent. The majority of owners have money. 

Edited by SpecialK

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

The reality is that he may not want to play for for the $50-$80k a team may be able to pay him.  I love CPL but there are certain players it simply can’t get.   

I don’t know $80k is better than 0 if you love to play…a lot of low end MLS players get less than that…there must be an injury that’s stopping him, because if he was healthy, he should be able to play for one of the Canadian MLS teams…

3 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I don’t know $80k is better than 0 if you love to play…a lot of low end MLS players get less than that…there must be an injury that’s stopping him, because if he was healthy, he should be able to play for one of the Canadian MLS teams…

Yeah but he probably has more options than play in CPL or be homeless and destitute.  

Besides the question of him wanting to play in the CPL or not, ff he is not fit enough to land a contract in Portugal I doubt he's fit enough to land a contract in Canada with a CPL side, right? The level of play is lower, but the physical demands would be similar as it's professional soccer. Some clubs and countries may have different standards for medicals, I don't know, but I find it hard to believe he could train and play regularly at any professional level for a sustained period of time, otherwise he would signed to a club in Portugal right now. 

It's werid we haven't heard anything about him though. No word on official retirement, I don't think. Nor have we heard stories of him remaining in the professional game on the coaching side. That's where I thought he would crop up, on a coaching staff somewhere in Portugal or even Canada, why not? Maybe he's quitely just getting his UEFA coaching credentials and laying low?

15 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

He may just want to keep his life in Portugal. Maybe his family has no interest in moving to Canada and he has no interest in being away from them in pursuit of a small amount of money.

Without speculating too much, I think that’s probably the case- you can live a life in Portugal, spend your days with your wife at the beach and live in amazing weather, or you can take whatever is left of your knees and go try and carve out a soccer career in Edmonton, York or like Winnipeg, while knowing that it’s not like you’re auditioning for a higher league- he’d realistically play a couple seasons in Canada before retiring since I don’t know what the appetite in Europe is for an older player who had a number of serious injuries as well as a mid career 18 month break.

• 2 months later...

Given the small cult-like following we have for Ricardo and the tease of seeing him play for Canada vs Cayman, is there anyone  in Portugal than can put this story to bed and confirm he is done with soccer? 

Wondering if he and Vitoria have any links coming from GTA to Portugal youth set-up?

Edited by Razcle