Ricardo Ferreira

6 minutes ago, Addona said:

Hmmm ... I hope that you're right, but those look like some amazingly rose-coloured glasses you're wearing!  :)

I know, but I just refuse to lose hope.  I'm thrilled with Miller, Johnston and Kennedy (although the injuries worry me with this one - ahem, Ferreira).  I feel we just need one dominant CB, a leader to really attain the next level. 

Tomori is that girl in highschool you just can't forget.

2 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

It is kinda funny that the Cayman game was probably the last match he'll ever play.

What is funny to me is his one cap for Portugal was:

- against the USA (and he got burned , leading to the US goal)

- a camp where Ronaldo was given some rest and not invited, so he never got to play and train with him.

That the match vs the Cayman Islands might have been his last is just sad.

4 minutes ago, An Observer said:

The thought crosses my mind from time to time. Then again, I still wonder what happened to Brad Parker.

You can rest easy knowing Brad Parker will not be cracking this team going forward😆. Did he win a Gold Cup with the 2000 team??? 

I understand the pessimism but his path thus far is pretty well the exact thing that landed Vitoria as a stalwart in our defence. 

Vitoria: commits to Canada at age 28 after failing to earn a Portugal callup and falling out of favour at a powerhouse club. Bounces around a few clubs, experiences injury and often falls out of favour. Now he is a frequent contributor (sometimes even getting the captain's armband) for both club and country.

Ferreira: commits to Canada at age 28 after failing to earn a Portugal callup and falling out of favour at a powerhouse club. Bounces around a few club, experiences injury and often falls out of favour. Now ?????

Obviously he doesn't currently warrant a callup and I can't say he will definitely bounce back... but I wouldn't write off Ferreira's career or future with the national team program just yet. Sometimes a spell of health and a club that believes in your ability is all you need.

Edited by Pottsy3

3 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I understand the pessimism but his path thus far is pretty well the exact thing that landed Vitoria as a stalwart in our defence. 

Vitoria: commits to Canada at age 28 after failing to earn a Portugal callup and falling out of favour at a powerhouse club. Bounces around a few clubs, experiences injury and often falls out of favour. Now he is a frequent contributor (sometimes even getting the captain's armband) for both club and country.

Ferreira: commits to Canada at age 28 after failing to earn a Portugal callup and falling out of favour at a powerhouse club. Bounces around a few club, experiences injury and often falls out of favour. Now ?????

Obviously he doesn't currently warrant a callup and I can't say he will definitely bounce back... but I wouldn't write off Ferreira's career or future with the national team program just yet. Sometimes a spell of health and a club that believes in your ability is all you need.

Ferreira's injury issues were much worse than Vitoria.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Ferreira's injury issues were much worse than Vitoria.

While based on the games he's missed I would agree, at the end of the day neither you nor I are his doctor. To the best of our knowledge, he's 2 years healthy and 2 years prior to that he was starting at Braga. He might never make it back, but it's not like he just forgot how to football. I won't write it off yet. Just last year he was playing in a league that most of the defenders on our radar would dream of playing in.

He's got a mountain to climb mentally. After two potentially career-ending injuries back-to-back, he's going to have arguably a tougher time overcoming the mental hurdles required to get back to performing at the top level than he will physically. Not impossible, but I would be very impressed with his mental strength if he can get back to a level required to earning a place in Canada's team right now.