Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

42 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Okay, that's completely unacceptable and blatantly racist.  You can't pretend to be all for everyone's political views and say something like that.  FWIW I've never voted in my life, don't care that much but just like to call it like it is.  

Actually, Keegan, if you understand how the term is used, it is not inappropriate for MJ.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I am looking forward to the day  when a Team Canada  Hockey team (I know this is a Soccer forum) will consist of Middle Eastern ,Asian and guys even Blacker than PK Subban ., being  successful . Just  to annoy  all the Don Cherry types.

For what it's worth, I think Don Cherry is a redneck in many ways, and I don't much care for his politics, but I don't think he's a racist. He'll always side with a Canadian, white, black, brown, or yellow, over a hockey player of any other nationality. For example, I'm pretty sure he's Jerome Iginla's biggest fan.

8 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Because he's a black immigrant succeeding, especially in this racially and politcally dividing time, especially for a man like Jozy in America. If you have a problem with that, then I don't have time for you.

He's getting this transfer on merit, and he can be a role model for anyone (for myself as a child of latino immigrants, his story is very inspiring). But he is a black player, and for many black youths in sports, who are often marginalized, this is a wonderful story that can inspire them and others.

Black kids marginalized in sports? lmao

2 hours ago, clamlinguine said:

Black kids marginalized in sports? lmao

Uhhhmmmmm, did you not read about how the "Free Footie" program was instrumental in allowing a child of a poor immigrant family (Davies) the opportunity to even play soccer? Sports is a leisure activity. Equipment costs, league fees, etc, can be very expensive. These types of expenses adversely affect poor or otherwise marginalized people (i.e. First Nations), who are statistically most often non-whites, and are less likely to be able to afford the costs. Upper or middle class people (majority white people) don't face the same challenges. Come on people, this is not rocket science.

There is a reason that the NHL's "Hockey is for Everyone" program has Willie O'ree as its ambassador.... 

So to answer your question.... YES!!!

Watch this video:
Edmonton Free Footie soccer league giving underprivileged kids a leg up
https://globalnews.ca/video/4276436/edmonton-free-footie-soccer-league-giving-underprivileged-kids-a-leg-up

9 hours ago, Keegan said:

https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/1025922815483170816/video/1

This strike just shows the difference in confidence and ability of Phonzie.  We all wondered if he could be a threat from distance, well I think we'll see that soon enough.  

Save those all day long but yeah, point well taken.  He's brave enough to try and smart enough to know if you aren't going to have a crack from there you have no business being on the pitch. 

And I know we keep going on about how he's years ahead of his age in so many attributes of the game but one thing he'll never be in front of is his body.  He's a still a kid, he's getting stronger by the day.  Was a bit of venom on that try can you imagine how he's going to hit that in 5 or 6 years when he's IN HIS EARLY 20s.  Weeeee!!!!

4 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Uhhhmmmmm, did you not read about how the "Free Footie" program was instrumental in allowing a child of a poor immigrant family (Davies) the opportunity to even play soccer? Sports is a leisure activity. Equipment costs, league fees, etc, can be very expensive. These types of expenses adversely affect poor or otherwise marginalized people (i.e. First Nations), who are statistically most often non-whites, and are less likely to be able to afford the costs. Upper or middle class people (majority white people) don't face the same challenges. Come on people, this is not rocket science.

There is a reason that the NHL's "Hockey is for Everyone" program has Willie O'ree as its ambassador.... 

So to answer your question.... YES!!!

Watch this video:
Edmonton Free Footie soccer league giving underprivileged kids a leg up
https://globalnews.ca/video/4276436/edmonton-free-footie-soccer-league-giving-underprivileged-kids-a-leg-up

You can say non-white kids statistically account for a higher percentage of "poor or marginalized" kids and you'd probably be correct. 

But the majority of black kids in Canada are probably not marginalized or poor. Nor are the majority of white kids, asain kids, etc.

My guess is that first nation kids are the only exception.

That being said, Alphonso is a great story to all Canadians, especially those who are underprivileged.

I am proud to live in a country where groups like Edmonton footie free soccer exist!

Did anyone watch the NYCFC game last night?

Maybe it was the small field, but Davies struggled to get into the game. He had one brilliant strike later in the second half, but aside from that he wasn't able to impact the game like we've grown accustomed to seeing.

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe it was the small field, but Davies struggled to get into the game. He had one brilliant strike later in the second half, but aside from that he wasn't able to impact the game like we've grown accustomed to seeing.

There's also the fact that he only had 30 minutes to make an impression with a Whitecaps B team lineup. It wasn't his best effort but the attacking thrust of the team did improve with him out there. He's not going to have two goals and two assists every game.

26 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Save those all day long but yeah, point well taken.  He's brave enough to try and smart enough to know if you aren't going to have a crack from there you have no business being on the pitch. 

And I know we keep going on about how he's years ahead of his age in so many attributes of the game but one thing he'll never be in front of is his body.  He's a still a kid, he's getting stronger by the day.  Was a bit of venom on that try can you imagine how he's going to hit that in 5 or 6 years when he's IN HIS EARLY 20s.  Weeeee!!!!

I didn’t think it was a routine save.. a half foot higher and it’s top bins (from the angle I saw).

i agree though.. striking a ball like that at 17.. imagine when he’s matured in a few years.

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/davies-difference-whitecaps-draw-nycfc/

According to Sportsnet he changed the game.

42 minutes ago, jonovision said:

There's also the fact that he only had 30 minutes to make an impression with a Whitecaps B team lineup. It wasn't his best effort but the attacking thrust of the team did improve with him out there. He's not going to have two goals and two assists every game.

I think the players around him were definitely a factor. IIRC that one chance Davies fashioned for himself was after Reyna came on the field.

On 7/31/2018 at 2:52 PM, Tg11 said:

Real recognizin' dat real y'all...real talk keepin dat it all the way 100 with dat y'all but it seem more and more dat world class elite players dat takin' notice of dis kid dat and his talent dat which says dat a lot in the dat game of dat soccer

I noticed you forgot to put your favourite new word in that post, so I fixed it for you.

Da f*** is this shit? Time for me to set this board straight.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

White people cannot tell non-white people who their role models are and why. I hate to break it to you but race is constantly brought up because it is relevant. There is systemic racism/sexism/homophobia/you name it throughout Canada and Canadian institutions. 

Fuck this is derailing fast... Let's get back on to news about Alphonso!

I don't recall Keegan saying anything of the sort. You got emotional by your own doing.

No, race isn't relevant. I know Matty and I will disagree a little here (I still love you brah). Anyhow, it's only brought up by the left when they partake in their identity politics, which IMO further divides us.

Systemic racism/sexism/homophobia? If there is, please tell me the institution and how its being racist, sexist and/or homophobic.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:11 PM, gigi riva said:

Why are  talking  race here  Davies is a good player black white or Asian . lets end this here. Who cares what espn  says screw them. I hear enough racial talk at work  etc. I do not want to hear  it here . If people here want to bring racial stuff  then go to Rebel Media , The Sun papers, or the Conservative party website

Those medias only offer countering points of view as a reaction to again said identity politics played by the left. The right do not like talking about race, the right want to treat people like individuals and judge people based on merit, not race. The left like to group people based on identity and make victims out of them, which doesn't need to happen in this day and age.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, gigi riva said:

I am looking forward to the day  when a Team Canada  Hockey team (I know this is a Soccer forum) will consist of Middle Eastern ,Asian and guys even Blacker than PK Subban ., being  successful . Just  to annoy  all the Don Cherry types.

Don Cherry has never shown any disdain to players of colour so leave the man alone. I only recall a few incidents in the early 90s where he said some awful things about the first Soviet defectors like Pavel Bure and Sergei Federov and yes, those things were pretty racist. He's attacked Europeans and Quebecois actually quite a bit in the past decade but I guess it was okay considering he said it about white people and all....

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:20 PM, gigi riva said:

First  of  all Trump is a d bag  Jordan is a  carded Republican and in my opinion a Uncle Tom  who  only answers to  Nike.  While James  is neither a Republican or a democrat  to my  knowledge .  but LB has  criticized both  Trump and Fox News

Calling a black man who is conservative an uncle Tom is the most tiresome play in the race book. Why is he an Uncle Tom? Because he can think for himself? Because he doesn't follow the masses like the left want him to? The fact he doesn't tow the line and act accordingly like democrats want him to makes him the exact opposite of an uncle Tom.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually, Keegan, if you understand how the term is used, it is not inappropriate for MJ.

I don't recall MJ being a low class, sub-servient person to anybody no matter how the much the left want him to be.

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

Those medias only offer countering points of view as a reaction to again said identity politics played by the left. The right do not like talking about race, the right want to treat people like individuals and judge people based on merit, not race. The left like to group people based on identity and make victims out of them, which doesn't need to happen in this day and age.

Imagine defending the fucking Rebel under the guise of setting the board "straight."

GTFO with this BS.

EDIT: Can't wait for the incredibly brilliant response to this post, which will consist of a blown up version of your board avatar.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

@admin

You need more mods. That's how a thread gets derailed and gets out of hand

The thread was already derailed, then got back on track until someone decided to set us all straight. I wasn't going to let such stupidity stand, but that'll be the last from me on the off-topic posts in this thread.

Geez.

It was so nice to be off the computer for a few days.  On my phone now.   

Won't be home for a few hours yet, driving.

I'll catch up in the morning.  If something needs to be deleted call me I'll stop somewhere.

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

Da f*** is this shit? Time for me to set this board straight.

No, race isn't relevant. I know Matty and I will disagree a little here (I still love you brah). Anyhow, it's only brought up by the left when they partake in their identity politics, which IMO further divides us.

Systemic racism/sexism/homophobia? If there is, please tell me the institution and how its being racist, sexist and/or homophobic.

This is soooooooo wrong and ignorant, BUT, in the interest of getting the topic back to footy I'll say let's agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, RS said:

Imagine defending the fucking Rebel under the guise of setting the board "straight."

GTFO with this BS.

EDIT: Can't wait for the incredibly brilliant response to this post, which will consist of a blown up version of your board avatar.

How am I supposed to respond to a deflection?

2 hours ago, RS said:

The thread was already derailed, then got back on track until someone decided to set us all straight. I wasn't going to let such stupidity stand, but that'll be the last from me on the off-topic posts in this thread.

And this ad hominem....?

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

This is soooooooo wrong and ignorant, BUT, in the interest of getting the topic back to footy I'll say let's agree to disagree.

It's alright brah, we can talk about these things.

Archived