Jump to content

Alphonso Davies


Northvansteve
 Share

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Just watched the All-Star Extra time live show. Hercules Gomez impresses me yet again. When interviewed about Davies, he actually focuses on what it means for "Canadian" soccer.

Not "Canadian and American" soccer.

Not "North American" soccer.

"Canadian" soccer.

Later on in the show they interview DeRo for more Davies discussion.....I am now satisfied :)

Yea he has been great for boosting Canadian soccer on the website. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, canta15 said:

Yea he has been great for boosting Canadian soccer on the website. 

Probably because he's actually lived in Canada and played with some of the CanNT lads, so it means more to him.

Edited by Obinna
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In fairness to the Bobby Warshaw criticism in particular, last summer during the Gold Cup he admitted that he didn't know much about the Canadian team and hadn't paid attention to our team or players for years, prompting Matt Doyle to chide him for being an "Ameri-snob". Of course, that was a year ago and things may have changed with his interests/opinions since then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

In fairness to the Bobby Warshaw criticism in particular, last summer during the Gold Cup he admitted that he didn't know much about the Canadian team and hadn't paid attention to our team or players for years, prompting Matt Doyle to chide him for being an "Ameri-snob". Of course, that was a year ago and things may have changed with his interests/opinions since then.

Matt Doyle is an unapologetic Jay Chapman fan. I'll always love him for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

In fairness to the Bobby Warshaw criticism in particular, last summer during the Gold Cup he admitted that he didn't know much about the Canadian team and hadn't paid attention to our team or players for years, prompting Matt Doyle to chide him for being an "Ameri-snob". Of course, that was a year ago and things may have changed with his interests/opinions since then.

I mean its not rocket science to figure out the alphonso davies is a big thing for Canadian soccer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Far more irritating is watching the the US feed of the all-star ga e and hearing Max Bretos and Kasey Keller talk about how Davies is a trend-setter for American players and not even mention that he is Canadian. I will take the mlssoccer.com guys over that any day of the week (or Wileman and Caldwell calling the game in TSN studios for that matter).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Far more irritating is watching the the US feed of the all-star ga e and hearing Max Bretos and Kasey Keller talk about how Davies is a trend-setter for American players and not even mention that he is Canadian. I will take the mlssoccer.com guys over that any day of the week (or Wileman and Caldwell calling the game in TSN studios for that matter).

they literally said he was a great thing for mls, usl.... basically everything but Canada

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just tuned in, he's playing at LB for the MLS All-Stars. What a waste. Made a 40 yard run with the ball to get out of danger in his own third just to show what he's capable of...

...and he's out of the game in 62' along with Giovinco. Meh.

Edited by jpg75
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Just tuned in, he's playing at LB for the MLS All-Stars. What a waste. Made a 40 yard run with the ball to get out of danger in his own third just to show what he's capable of...

He had a run pretty much every time he had the ball and still did a good job at wingback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So in the ESPN broadcast they called Elis an Honduran, Calvo a Costa Rican, Murillo a Panamanian but they never called Davies a Canadian.....

Who is this Wacky Flacky twit in the booth who just said Atlanta is known for "sports, music, movies and soccer"?

Please TSN, if you have any choice in the matter, no more ESPN feeds for the All Star game.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

So in the ESPN broadcast they called Elis an Honduran, Calvo a Costa Rican, Murillo a Panamanian but they never called Davies a Canadian.....

Who is this Wacky Flacky twit in the booth who just said Atlanta is known for "sports, music, movies and soccer"?

Please TSN, if you have any choice in the matter, no more ESPN feeds for the All Star game.....

Wacka Flocka was a short cameo guest appearance in the booth with Twellman and Healy(who I prefer over Wileman and Caldwell) .... He's is a well known hip hop artist in Atlanta, who was giving his take on the changing culture in his city. 

I'm going to assume you are near or over 40 to say that lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Perhaps the Whitecaps fans could weigh in here, but from what I've seen he's been a far more useful player since Robbo stopped using him in the back line.

He can clearly play both positions well, but at the moment I feel it is too easy for him to become a peripheral player if he is a wingback, while playing as a winger seems to keep him engaged for the entire game. This might have as much to do with how the Caps play as it does his own maturity and experience in these roles. Who knows? All I can say is that he did not look out of place tonight at all. He seems like the sort player that rises to the level around him. We'll see how he adapts and learns at Bayern, but if what we've witnessed these last few years is any indication, I think he's an excellent shot at sticking with the first team all year. Especially because he can play more than one position, and well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Perhaps the Whitecaps fans could weigh in here, but from what I've seen he's been a far more useful player since Robbo stopped using him in the back line.

He was never really used on the backline. There was a few games when Brek Shea was scoring and when he was subbed in Davies was moved back but it was more of a full back with license to get forward. The theory was Davies was more effective when he has space to run at people. It was more of a complement to Davies thatas opposed to being subbed he was better off somewhere on the field. The experiment ended when Shea was no longer viewed as a good option off the bench when we needed a goal (because he sucks) and Davies started to prove that he was dangerous with space, without space, whenever wherever. If memory serves me i think Davies only started 1 game at full back, maybe 2

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

He can clearly play both positions well, but at the moment I feel it is too easy for him to become a peripheral player if he is a wingback, while playing as a winger seems to keep him engaged for the entire game.

To me, he's a winger in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 (like M'Bappe with France at the World Cup, though I don't know how he is used with PSG).  He might even develop into an Thierry Henry type of striker (also a former winger in his younger days).  But perhaps the brain trust at Bayern have other ideas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, this kid should not be playing LB.  His dribbling is too good, he's effortless out there and would be a waste at LB.  He was the best dribbler on the park tonight even in just 30 minutes and made the $15M man Barco in front of him look very average in comparison.  

He's improving at a lightning pace, the last thing you do is put him anywhere near the backline - Doyle is nuts.  And MLS is nuts for not putting him in an attacking spot like what is this?  He's the biggest story on this side of the pond, you're playing Juventus and you put him back there?  He still made an impact but was staying back and the times he made runs he was looked off by the useless Barco.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Check out Doyles take away about Davies from the all star game.  

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/01/armchair-analyst-four-quick-takeaways-2018-mls-all-star-game

...he's wise beyond his years with regard to ball security on the build-up.

I think he has really improved in his decision making this year (where and when to pass and dribble).  I'd like to see him be a more consistent crosser, which is another key thing you are looking for from an attacking LB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

No, this kid should not be playing LB.  His dribbling is too good, he's effortless out there and would be a waste at LB.  He was the best dribbler on the park tonight even in just 30 minutes and made the $15M man Barco in front of him look very average in comparison.  

He's improving at a lightning pace, the last thing you do is put him anywhere near the backline - Doyle is nuts.  And MLS is nuts for not putting him in an attacking spot like what is this?  He's the biggest story on this side of the pond, you're playing Juventus and you put him back there?  He still made an impact but was staying back and the times he made runs he was looked off by the useless Barco.  

I don’t think Barco looked that bad out there actually, but Davies looks like he has a much higher ceiling. I think it bodes well for Davies that he can still get up and down the field and blow past players, Juventus players, while at left back. That is a positive for me. He was so much better than Murillo and he’s not even a wing back.

Davies, even in he All star game, looks like he can beat players with ease. He looks like he has another gear still, which is frightening for everyone who is not Vancouver, Bayern, and Canada. Still has to tighten a few things up but no doubt he’ll do so in Germany.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Have said before in this or another thread that I think in the spirit of getting the best 11 on the pitch at the same time, Davies will see time at left back for MNT. 

While I like what you're saying, it would require us to play an attacking style/formation that we haven't seen for almost a decade or at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, soccer.shocker said:

Have said before in this or another thread that I think in the spirit of getting the best 11 on the pitch at the same time, Davies will see time at left back for MNT. 

I'd be surprised if we see that any time in the foreseeable future. I think we can get our best 11 on the field without him playing there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...