Jump to content

Alphonso Davies


Northvansteve
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, canta15 said:

Ribery and Robben are going to be 35 this season and that is extremely old for wingers

That may be true, but have to say, in La Liga this year we saw two older wingers have great seasons, starting with Joaquin at Betis, he was absolutely amazing in all respects. Many thought he should have gone to Russia with Spain. He is 37 and going strong.

Jesus Navas, at 32, also was good this year. Both Ribery and Robben are very smart, have a lot of football knowledge, and are great competitors, amongst the most important senior footballers in the world IMO. But true, they are not breaking down defences with speed any more, and play on their opposite wings and turn in anyways, not reaching the endline and crossing in. 

Davies will be a wing, no question. Very interested to see what side they play him. 

The other day, in the great match vs. Minnesota, he was soft and not too present the first half hour, playing on the left side. Then Robbo switched him and he was more effective, less a winger and more an attacking mid down the right side and looking in. All this business of Davies having a lot of assists, and now getting more goals, does not come down to him getting a better scoring touch, or growing as an attacker, all that BS. It comes down to where he is played on the pitch, and in what circumstances. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though they wil be hard to displace them from the first team, I think it is great that Davies will get to play with Ribery and Robben. They are world class, and despite some of their idiosyncrasies, are among the best wingers we have seen over the last decade.  In all likelihood, they will be winding things down pretty soon, and in the meantime I am sure Davies will learn from them.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Give this podcast a listen. https://www.acast.com/futbolgrad/gegenpressingpodcast-alphonsodaviestobayern.done-

There's one particularly interesting bit regarding the negotiations of  Robben and Ribery's new contract s. Apparently the club made it clear that their minutes would be reduced towards the end of this season as the younger generation (which includes Davies) is incorporated into the team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He does not hold defensively, he can actually run in the wrong direction when an attacker dribbles and let someone get by him. He does not mark his man tightly. He rarely knows how to crunch in with a tackle to win a ball or cut off a play. He has no bite defensively, but he's fast as said and can compensate. For me he is a poor back, though could learn. 

I think that just pure training at Bayern will solve this. I think at any top team. Just training if you are not on your man or miss a mark they will chew you out, and even more so at a club that will not treat him like a dear darling sweet little kid but expect him to be there going forward and going back.

This part frightens me a bit if I am honest...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ghostknownunknown said:

Give this podcast a listen. https://www.acast.com/futbolgrad/gegenpressingpodcast-alphonsodaviestobayern.done-

There's one particularly interesting bit regarding the negotiations of  Robben and Ribery's new contract s. Apparently the club made it clear that their minutes would be reduced towards the end of this season as the younger generation (which includes Davies) is incorporated into the team. 

They are so frigging arrogant they just assume they will be miles in front in the league and deep into Champions, with the Pokal final awaiting. Before they even start the season. 

Personally, I hope they go the way of the German national team at the WC, looks like they are ripe for a fall.

That said, Davies sort of looks like your Mbappe or Dembele kind of player,  a type that is rather fashionable lately,  and they are looking for theirs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They are so frigging arrogant they just assume they will be miles in front in the league and deep into Champions, with the Pokal final awaiting. Before they even start the season. 

Personally, I hope they go the way of the German national team at the WC, looks like they are ripe for a fall.

That said, Davies sort of looks like your Mbappe or Dembele kind of player,  a type that is rather fashionable lately,  and they are looking for theirs.

Considering their record over the past half dozen years I would consider it realistic, not arrogant. The only conceivable scenario where they don't make a deep run in both the CL and DFB-pokal is one in which they experience a spate of injuries that decimated their first XI. In that case a spot for Fonzie would likely open up anyhow. 

 

Everything coming out from Bayern management indicates that they plan to incorporate the kid in to the squad as soon as he arrives.  Until we see or hear otherwise, can we not take them at their word?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you guys remember when Davies was mostly "riding the bench" in Vancouver? That really stunted his development obviously...

If Davies makes semi regular sub appearances and the odd start in cup games I will be happy. It will be a big step up from the MLS. To be the best you've got to earn your time. And let's face it, we have hopes of Davies being just as good as Robben and Ribery. So why not let him sit behind them and figure out how to be like them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Symp_Res said:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3584334/jozy-altidore-hopes-alphonso-davies-can-be-role-model-for-black-players

Excuse my apparent ignorance, but how does Davies' signing with FCB have anything to do with him being a role model for "black players", let alone Americans?

Can't Davies and his story just be an inspiration to all kids that they can get to the top levels of club soccer.  Can't it just be a reminder to everyone involved in soccer in Canada (or the US if you wish to take it there) that programs like Free Footie should be the norm and not the exception?

Am I missing something? Why is this a story about race?

Because he's a black immigrant succeeding, especially in this racially and politcally dividing time, especially for a man like Jozy in America. If you have a problem with that, then I don't have time for you.

He's getting this transfer on merit, and he can be a role model for anyone (for myself as a child of latino immigrants, his story is very inspiring). But he is a black player, and for many black youths in sports, who are often marginalized, this is a wonderful story that can inspire them and others.

Edited by Vince193
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Because he's a black immigrant succeeding, especially in this racially and politcally dividing time, especially for a man like Jozy in America. If you have a problem with that, then I don't have time for you.

He's getting this transfer on merit, and he can be a role model for anyone (for myself as a child of latino immigrants, his story is very inspiring). But he is a black player, and for many black youths in sports, who are often marginalized, this is a wonderful story that can inspire them and others.

Black youth in sports are marginalised?  Okay then... LOL.  No this just reeks of an American trying to drag a Canadian into their current "divide" where every single topic inexplicably revolves around race.  

You don't need to attack someone for asking a simple question and all hop on your high horses as if you're right.  It's a totally valid question because there is no history of youth ever being marginalised in sports such as soccer in this country in my lifetime.  What are you even talking about?  Go bring your political crap elsewhere.  I'm tired of race being brought into everything.. Alphonso is an inspiration for EVERYONE no matter if you're a refugee from Ukraine, Syria or Liberia.  Keep skin colour and race out of this because in Canada this sport most definitely has no issue with race.  That's like saying black basketball players are marginalised.  Last I checked out MNT at all levels has been made up of a high proportion of POC.  Just more bullshit hysteria to divide people.  

Why is Jonathan David not an inspiration?  Atiba Hutchinson?  Olivier Occean?  Tam Nsaliwa?  Oh because they're not a big enough name to grab attention to a political cause?  Leave Phonzie alone.

WE AS CANADIANS ARE BETTER THAN THIS.  Do not fall into the trap.

Edited by Keegan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

If you're going to make a comment, at least own up to it...

Fair enough. I did not want to get into this, but here goes.

Davies' story is fantastic! I am not a Bayern fan, but I will be following them come January to see how Alphonso does in place of Ribery or Robben (or Coman, etc.).  It's very exciting for Canadian Soccer. I hope that Alphonso inspires kids in Canada and the United States (mostly Canada to be honest) to follow their dreams.

However the fact is, Davies was part of the Free Footie program in Edmonton. A program that allows families to put their children into soccer  without requiring thousands of dollars to join a high performance program. Without that program, Davies may not be where he is in his career. THAT should be the norm in gassroots soccer, and all sports for that matter. NOT pay to play. That should be the conversation.  How can we give kids the opportunity to develop their skills and passion for the game, regardless of their economic realities. Davies beat all the odds. 

IT'S NOT ABOUT RACE! That was never my intention, and I'm sorry if it came across like that. I am not looking for a political debate.  I obviously did not get my point across in my post, and do not want to get into politics. Here is the last statement I will make on this issue:

1.  ALL kids should find inspiration from Alphonso Davies;

2.  The CSA, provincial associations, and local associations should work together to use programs like Free Footie as a model of how to engage kids and youth, and use that to advance Canadian Soccer. Unfortunately from my experience, that is far from reality; and

3.  This is a question of economic realities.

Again, I'm sorry it came to this and it was never my intention. I just don't understand how this is a racial issue, and how a player - Jozy Altidore - who is making a living in Canada playing soccer can bring race into the conversation.  

Alphonso Davies is a reason to celebrate, and a reason to hope that kids will look up to him and want to follow in his footsteps.  But that takes everyone involved in Canadian Soccer and has NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE! 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Black youth in sports are marginalised?  Okay then... LOL.  No this just reeks of an American trying to drag a Canadian into their current "divide" where every single topic inexplicably revolves around race.  

You don't need to attack someone for asking a simple question and all hop on your high horses as if you're right.  It's a totally valid question because there is no history of youth ever being marginalised in sports such as soccer in this country in my lifetime.  What are you even talking about?  Go bring your political crap elsewhere.  I'm tired of race being brought into everything.. Alphonso is an inspiration for EVERYONE no matter if you're a refugee from Ukraine, Syria or Liberia.  Keep skin colour and race out of this because in Canada this sport most definitely has no issue with race.  That's like saying black basketball players are marginalised.  Last I checked out MNT at all levels has been made up of a high proportion of POC.  Just more bullshit hysteria to divide people.  

 Why is Jonathan David not an inspiration?  Atiba Hutchinson?  Olivier Occean?  Tam Nsaliwa?  Oh because they're not a big enough name to grab attention to a political cause?  Leave Phonzie alone.

You would be shocked, but it still happens here. It's true that people see a story like Davies here and just ask about black hockey players and it happens to soccer players here. Look at the Givani Smith story. It still happens in 2018. It's still an issue here in Canada. If you don't think it is, you clearly are missing the point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

You would be shocked, but it still happens here. It's true that people see a story like Davies here and just ask about black hockey players and it happens to soccer players here. Look at the Givani Smith story. It still happens in 2018. It's still an issue here in Canada. If you don't think it is, you clearly are missing the point. 

Okay, no I wouldn't be shocked at all.  You know why?  Because the whole reason I'm on this board, the whole reason I love Canadian soccer started with racism.  I was the only white kid at a tennis academy of kids in CANADA from Mexico, Bolivia, Guatemala, Spain etc. you name it and I was told that because I was Canadian I couldn't play soccer and didn't belong.. I was a "gringo" that's all.  I haven't seen any messages to Givani Smith but I imagine they were along the same tones re: belonging in regards to your race in that sport.  That made me research and figure out what this was all about and I fell in love this was 15 years ago.  

Does that mean I need to write a story about Liam Millar and how he's an inspiration?  HELL NO.  We all have our own story, we all face adversity, we all face challenges and some face harder ones than others but that doesn't correspond to some big message about racism.  TWO KIDS FROM WEST AFRICA HAVE TRANSFERRED TO BARCELONA AND BAYERN IN THE PAST YEAR.  How any white/asian/middle eastern kids??  

Edited by Keegan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would think it is possible for Davies to be an inspiration BOTH to young athletes in general and to young black athletes in particular.  And although he is Canadian there is no reason he shouldn't inspire young black American soccer players too.

Don't understand the negative reactions to Altidore, he made a simple statement of the sort athletes make to the press and people seem to be reading all kinds of things into it.

American history is such that race will always be at the forefront there, and even more so in a time when the President makes irrational Twitter attacks on the greatest basketball player of all time, and seems intent on deepening social and racial rifts of all kinds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's ESPN. It's an American viewpoint. There is an underrepresentation of African Americans in soccer in the U.S.

Just compare the national teams of Canada and the U.S. There a more black players on the Canadian teams even though we have a lower black population than the US.

I get their viewpoint but it's sort of weird (though maybe also telling) they used a Canadian player to make this example..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

White people cannot tell non-white people who their role models are and why. I hate to break it to you but race is constantly brought up because it is relevant. There is systemic racism/sexism/homophobia/you name it throughout Canada and Canadian institutions. 

Fuck this is derailing fast... Let's get back on to news about Alphonso!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I would think it is possible for Davies to be an inspiration BOTH to young athletes in general and to young black athletes in particular.  And although he is Canadian there is no reason he shouldn't inspire young black American soccer players too.

Don't understand the negative reactions to Altidore, he made a simple statement of the sort athletes make to the press and people seem to be reading all kinds of things into it.

American history is such that race will always be at the forefront there, and even more so in a time when the President makes irrational Twitter attacks on the greatest basketball player of all time, and seems intent on deepening social and racial rifts of all kinds.

Here is where I'm confused though... he attacked Lebron but praised Michael Jordan.. so how is that a racial issue relevant to this topic?  Is that not you creating a racial divide?

It was a stupid comment but I just don't understand some of the thought process here that makes EVERYTHING racist.  Whether the idiot in chief says it or not.  Anyhow, yes he can absolutely be an inspiration for people of all races but I just find it a double standard when you know for a fact that if anyone wrote an article about Liam Millar being an inspiration for white athletes it wouldn't go down well.... the bottom line is no one should be used for a political message.  Jozy has been a tool in that regard.  

I think a lot of people are at the debate phase and I'm at the phase where I realise the only way forward is to absolutely stop all this nonsense if we ever want it to be done.  

Anyhow, back to being CANADIANS.  Alphonso is the greatest athlete we've produced in this sport and no one cares about the colour of his skin - if they do they're trash.  

 

Edited by Keegan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why are  talking  race here  Davies is a good player black white or Asian . lets end this here. Who cares what espn  says screw them. I hear enough racial talk at work  etc. I do not want to hear  it here . If people here want to bring racial stuff  then go to Rebel Media , The Sun papers, or the Conservative party website

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gigi riva said:

Why are  talking  race here  Davies is a good player black white or Asian . lets end this here. Who cares what espn  says screw them. I hear enough racial talk at work  etc. I do not want to hear  it here . If people here want to bring racial stuff  then go to Rebel Media , The Sun papers, or the Conservative party website

I am looking forward to the day  when a Team Canada  Hockey team (I know this is a Soccer forum) will consist of Middle Eastern ,Asian and guys even Blacker than PK Subban ., being  successful . Just  to annoy  all the Don Cherry types.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Here is where I'm confused though... he attacked Lebron but praised Michael Jordan.. so how is that a racial issue relevant to this topic?  Is that not you creating a racial divide?

It was a stupid comment but I just don't understand some of the thought process here that makes EVERYTHING racist.  Whether the idiot in chief says it or not.  Anyhow, yes he can absolutely be an inspiration for people of all races but I just find it a double standard when you know for a fact that if anyone wrote an article about Liam Millar being an inspiration for white athletes it wouldn't go down well.... the bottom line is no one should be used for a political message.  Jozy has been a tool in that regard.  

I think a lot of people are at the debate phase and I'm at the phase where I realise the only way forward is to absolutely stop all this nonsense if we ever want it to be done.  

Anyhow, back to being CANADIANS.  Alphonso is the greatest athlete we've produced in this sport and no one cares about the colour of his skin - if they do they're trash.  

 

 First  of  all Trump is a d bag  Jordan is a  carded Republican and in my opinion a Uncle Tom  who  only answers to  Nike.  While James  is neither a Republican or a democrat  to my  knowledge .  but LB has  criticized both  Trump and Fox News

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

 First  of  all Trump is a d bag  Jordan is a  carded Republican and in my opinion a Uncle Tom  who  only answers to  Nike.  While James  is neither a Republican or a democrat  to my  knowledge .  but LB has  criticized both  Trump and Fox News

Okay, that's completely unacceptable and blatantly racist.  You can't pretend to be all for everyone's political views and say something like that.  FWIW I've never voted in my life, don't care that much but just like to call it like it is.  

Edited by Keegan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

 First  of  all Trump is a d bag  Jordan is a  carded Republican and in my opinion a Uncle Tom  who  only answers to  Nike.  While James  is neither a Republican or a democrat  to my  knowledge .  but LB has  criticized both  Trump and Fox News

Michael Jordan has very dubious politics and since his player days has only been committed t the marketing version of himself, his self-centred immaturity is a huge part of his legacy. It took me a long time to figure that out, to see it. As it took me a long time to like Lebron, or at least respect him, but I now I very much do. 

Why do Canadians stand for the US national anthem, since as we have seen with the knees in NFL, the original version of the lyrics, now edited out, celebrated not only the death of former slaves fighting with the British, but the British too, that is, early Canadians?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...