Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

39 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

My hope is, and I know this is asking A LOT, that Davies becomes just ever so slightly better than Pulisic

I think Davies and Pulisic are worlds apart technically but you never know. I think Davies is far superior physically and that means a lot in international play and especially in the CONCACAF. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, koolvid said:

I think Davies and Pulisic are worlds apart technically but you never know. I think Davies is far superior physically and that means a lot in international play and especially in the CONCACAF. 

What about a 16 year old Pulisic ?

i think Davies is underrated techinically.

also did he start the game and play the 90 ?

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

What about a 16 year old Pulisic ?

He was very technical and setting the US U-17 on fire as if he were a striker with 28 goals in 34 appearance. He drew Dortmund's attention at such a young age for a reason... 

3 minutes ago, koolvid said:

He was very technical and setting the US U-17 on fire as if he were a striker with 28 goals in 34 appearance. He drew Dortmund's attention at such a young age for a reason... 

Is Davies close to that level ?

to be fair United did call about him.

5 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Is Davies close to that level ?

to be fair United did call about him.

After watching some clips on youtube when he was around that age, they're very different. I think the biggest gap between both in the technical department is in passing in the final third/ vision. Pulisic I believe is already taking corners/set pieces for the senior team so you can tell he's gifted in that part of his game. 

8 hours ago, koolvid said:

Wait, he had 34 appearances at the U17 level! For Canada I see our players only having like 8 appearances. Is this because the US just has more money to bring these teams together more?

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

Wait, he had 34 appearances at the U17 level! For Canada I see our players only having like 8 appearances. Is this because the US just has more money to bring these teams together more?

Yes, the US U17's spend the year together in Bradenton training and playing friendlies to prepare for the qualifiers.

1 hour ago, SCF08 said:

No, Davies is nowhere near the level of Pulisic. Pulisic is an amazing talent. 

Let's see where Davies is in two years

6 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Let's see where Davies is in two years

Exactly. Pulisic was born in Sept. '98 so he's 26 months older than Davies. Summer 2015 Pulisic was playing PDL for Reading before joining the Dortmund U19 program around his 17th bday. Davies will have finished a full MLS season by his 17th bday. Of course that means in the next 18 months Davies has to impress a club of similar stature to Dortmund and then jump right into their starting lineup in the winter of 2018-19 right after his 18th bday and then proceed to kill it.

These exact comparisons aren't doing Davies justice. He is a winger, Pulisic is a CM. The skill sets of those positions are completely different. Pulisic is an amazing player and he is very suited to the CM role with great vision and passing. Davies is also an amazing player and is very suited to the winger role with great speed and deception. Saying that Pulisic is a better passer is like saying that davies beats more people 1 on 1. Both are true, but both are more specific to the position they play. Because they play different positions it is very hard to tell who is "better". Davies still needs to develop is final pass but back when Pulisic was Davies age he needed to develop some things too, it just wasn't his passing. Obviously Davies still needs to develop more, but he has time to do that and he has a better opportunity to do that because he is playing at a higher level than Pulisic was. Davies is an incredible talent, and he could get to the level that Pulisic is, but he plays a different position!

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

These exact comparisons aren't doing Davies justice. He is a winger, Pulisic is a CM. The skill sets of those positions are completely different. Pulisic is an amazing player and he is very suited to the CM role with great vision and passing. Davies is also an amazing player and is very suited to the winger role with great speed and deception. Saying that Pulisic is a better passer is like saying that davies beats more people 1 on 1. Both are true, but both are more specific to the position they play. Because they play different positions it is very hard to tell who is "better". Davies still needs to develop is final pass but back when Pulisic was Davies age he needed to develop some things too, it just wasn't his passing. Obviously Davies still needs to develop more, but he has time to do that and he has a better opportunity to do that because he is playing at a higher level than Pulisic was. Davies is an incredible talent, and he could get to the level that Pulisic is, but he plays a different position!

Pulisic has played well all around the pitch for Dortmund this season. And if you want to be exact, he plays in a center attacking midfielder role (CAM) so he attacks more compared to a regular CM when played in the center

I feel like Pulisic's speed is going unnoticed. He is incredibly fast. As fast as Davies is, I don't even know if he's that much faster over 30 or 40 yards than Pulisic is.

It would be great for Davies to get into a European first team and have an impact in the next few years. A Davies versus Pulisic rivalry for best young CONCACAF player would ignite the American-Canadian rivalry, which is rather dull at the moment. 

Just now, matty said:

If IIRC he' can't transfer till 18 right? Does that include loans?

He'll have to show his dominance with the Whitecaps (or could possibly play anywhere in MLS) until November of 2018. It's not the worst thing in the world (great for me because I get to watch him for another season an a half). 

It will be hard to judge how good he is on a global stage with him playing in MLS but let's hope he's an automatic starter next season in MLS, wouldn't be bad for a 17 year old.

Guys this is a ridiculous comparison. Pulisic is light years ahead of Davies technically.

Why do we have to compare Davies to one of the best young players in the world? He isn't at that level. Can we wait until he gets an assist or goal against MLS competition before we compare him to one of better players on a top 10 team in the world? 

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I feel like Pulisic's speed is going unnoticed. He is incredibly fast. As fast as Davies is, I don't even know if he's that much faster over 30 or 40 yards than Pulisic is.

Davies might edge out Pulisic in a 40 yard dash or other speed tests, but I'd take Pulisic in every agility test. Pulisic left Marcelo in the dust in the Champions League two separate times with a head juke and a body feint.

Davies hasn't yet shown he's capable of beating defenders with anything but raw burst, that doesn't work against Real Madrid defenders. Hell, it doesn't work in MLS after he starts to tire out.

If Davies has 9/10 physical traits, Pulisic has 8.5/10. If Pulisic has 9/10 technical traits, Davies might have 6/10. 

20 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Guys this is a ridiculous comparison. Pulisic is light years ahead of Davies technically.

Why do we have to compare Davies to one of the best young players in the world? He isn't at that level. Can we wait until he gets an assist or goal against MLS competition before we compare him to one of better players on a top 10 team in the world

I'm now curious, who are your top 10 teams in the world?

29 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

More ridiculous is why of all the players in the world is he being compared to Pulisic?,,,I haven't watch much of Pulisic but I don't even think they are similar types of players for comparison.

Obviously because his success at a very young age and the fact that he's from s country that has never developed that type of player before 

4 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I was just going off of thier CL finish, but from last season? Real, Barca, Athleti, Chelsea, Tottenham, Man City, Bayern, BvB, Juve, Monaco. 

Awww alright. Thought it was maybe based off something else. Like I'd put like 8 of those in mine

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Davies might edge out Pulisic in a 40 yard dash or other speed tests, but I'd take Pulisic in every agility test. Pulisic left Marcelo in the dust in the Champions League two separate times with a head juke and a body feint.

Davies hasn't yet shown he's capable of beating defenders with anything but raw burst, that doesn't work against Real Madrid defenders. Hell, it doesn't work in MLS after he starts to tire out.

If Davies has 9/10 physical traits, Pulisic has 8.5/10. If Pulisic has 9/10 technical traits, Davies might have 6/10. 

I'd probably give Davies a 7/10, but otherwise yes I agree with that.

Archived