Your XI for November

Keegan

I think we need to sacrifice one of our attacking wings to give support to the striker up front. Both Larin and Cavallini seem to need someone with skill and service in close to them, in the first case it's Kaká, the second I am not sure but from reading reports seems this way. 

So an attacking mid close to the striker, and since that weighs us heavy up front, take out a wing, play with one. And have the mid on the other side pick up the slack. 

So it's Larin up high, Akindele or Hoillet whoever is fittest on a wing. And Osorio--you heard it here, I've seen enough TFC in the last few weeks and I am convinced--linking from the midfield into the striker. Since that is unlikely then Hutch, let him play forward as he has the talent and leadership to do so. 

Midfield in that set up, as a sort of diamond 1-2-1, with Teibert and Johnson if fit, and then whoever Floro wants to hold a bit, Piette or Straith, because that is what he'll do. Although I'd prefer Julian de G as again, experience is going to help in the middle breaking down Honduras attack.

I admit I do not pay enough attention to the back, but Edgar and whoever else is fittest, or whoever seems to work best with him (Henry maybe?). Ledgerwood for the experience, not sure about the other side. 

And Kenny, know that is odd pick but he won't screw up, rarely does. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we need to sacrifice one of our attacking wings to give support to the striker up front. Both Larin and Cavallini seem to need someone with skill and service in close to them, in the first case it's Kaká, the second I am not sure but from reading reports seems this way. 

So an attacking mid close to the striker, and since that weighs us heavy up front, take out a wing, play with one. And have the mid on the other side pick up the slack. 

So it's Larin up high, Akindele or Hoillet whoever is fittest on a wing. And Osorio--you heard it here, I've seen enough TFC in the last few weeks and I am convinced--linking from the midfield into the striker. Since that is unlikely then Hutch, let him play forward as he has the talent and leadership to do so. 

Midfield in that set up, as a sort of diamond 1-2-1, with Teibert and Johnson if fit, and then whoever Floro wants to hold a bit, Piette or Straith, because that is what he'll do. Although I'd prefer Julian de G as again, experience is going to help in the middle breaking down Honduras attack.

I admit I do not pay enough attention to the back, but Edgar and whoever else is fittest, or whoever seems to work best with him (Henry maybe?). Ledgerwood for the experience, not sure about the other side. 

And Kenny, know that is odd pick but he won't screw up, rarely does. 

We can talk about this stuff all we want but Floro has never used an AM and it doesn't look like he will. He is set with his 4-1-4-1.

We can talk about this stuff all we want but Floro has never used an AM and it doesn't look like he will. He is set with his 4-1-4-1.

Floro did experiment with various formations when he first took over and he did use 4-4-2 for a few matches before dropping it due to us having crappy forwards. Is he flexible enough to re-visit it? Probably not. But it is fun to think about various possibilities. I wonder how Larin and Cavallini with Hoilett supporting would work? Diamond or flat, the 3 mids behind could be Hutch, JDG and Johnson - thinking flat 3 to protect the backline..

I understand that you go with wings because our skill set is more suited to getting free out wide and crossing in than developing play down the middle. Fair enough. It is also a way to keep the ball, it is easier to look for someone open out wide up the field, even though they may be far from a real attacking position. So I understand Floro would stay with this. 

But you have to make sure your strikers get scoring chances, and if your strikers are more suited to getting a ball through the middle, holding up and turning, then you have a question there. 

What do people think is the best two-man attacking combination including a Canadian? Right now it might be Kaka-Larin, so that is screwed, because we simply cannot approximate anything to that. 

Coming through the USL ranks at fullback are: Guilano Frano (Sounders), Zachary Sukunda (FCM), Chris Serban (VWFC2) and Raheem Edwards (TFC2). The first two would have been better than then out-of-position stopgaps we see on the U23 team currently.

As far as I know Edwards did not play FB for TFC2, that was Kaye.

Coming through the USL ranks at fullback are: Guilano Frano (Sounders), Zachary Sukunda (FCM), Chris Serban (VWFC2) and Raheem Edwards (TFC2). The first two would have been better than then out-of-position stopgaps we see on the U23 team currently.

Gabriel Boakye is the RB to watch. Plays for TFC2. Very impressive and comparable to Adekugbe but on the right. 

I am just happy we are able to toss all these new players into the mix. After how we looked at Belize away, (very fortunate to escape with a tie). I was not very confident of finding a way to advance to the HEX. 

Yes, would have been great if these players could have had more time to gel and play together but is what it is, and in my opinion better late then never! 

The depth and more attacking options, gives me some hope going into this round. Part of me feels maybe Floro realized that also, and this is why he is bringing in all these players to have a look at now.

I agree with most, I will need to see how these players look after the Ghana game for my starting XI. Hard to judge based on a friendly, but Ghana has quality and I am sure the players know they are fighting for roster spots.  I expect a 100% effort, if not, see you later.

I also feel Cavallini could have a huge value for us in away games.  Lone striker, plays like a bull dog, can chirp back at the defenders in Spanish. Not 100% sure, but I'd imagine there would be some similarities in defending tactics, playing styles, and dirty defending between Central American and South American defending. I feel like a hostile environment on the road could actually play into Cavallini's favor and even bring his quality of play up. Just my 2 cents.  Time will tell. 

----------------------Cavallini----------------------
Akindele------------Osorio---------------Hoilett
----------Hutchinson---------Teibert------------
Morgan------Edgar------Jakovic---------Henry
----------------------Borjan----------------------

I am so shocked that multiple posters have Cavallini ahead of Larin ... wow.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I think Lucas is a great addition to the squad.  But right now, I don't see how anyone can have him ahead of Larin.

I am so shocked that multiple posters have Cavallini ahead of Larin ... wow.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I think Lucas is a great addition to the squad.  But right now, I don't see how anyone can have him ahead of Larin.

It has been some time since we've all seen Cavallini play, so I am hoping that he has improved since then. Last time he did play he was surprising everyone on here with the engine he had on him and was quite involved in the play. I really think that its a toss up on which to start, whether it be Cavallini or Larin.

Also banking that Cavallini will have more experience playing South/Central Americans, and hoping that him being friends with Osorio, would have some chemistry to start off already

-------------------Larin

LW---Hutchinson---CM-------------RW

----------------deGuzman

deJong-------CB-------Edgar-------Ledgerwood

-------------------Borjan

The way I see it, there are only 4 starting spots up for grabs in November, with 2 of them only being available due to injuries to Johnson and Jakovic.  

Floro, as we know, loves to play his favourites.  If he sticks to his status quo, we will see the following: LW Issey, RW Ricketts, DM Piette (deGuz moving up to CM) and CB Straith.  Hope he keeps and open mind and considers all options, and realizes that the team has not played up to its potential thus far with his usual selections.

Id like to see:

LW: Osorio -  He has been on fire the last few weeks, dribbling and passing his way out of tight spots and creating chances for team mates.  He is used to being out on the left.  He is an MLS veteran at this point and brings creativity that Issey and Akindele simply do not. 

CM: Teibert -  He is a more reliable and consistent footballer than Piette and Bekker, and of course has the home field advantage.  He is the logical choice with Johnson out.  

RW: Hoilett - If he is committed, in halfway decent game shape, and has a decent game against Ghana, he is an automatic starter.  We can't keep trying the same things with the same players and expecting different results.  Hoilett is a gamble, but one we must take if we want to retain possession in the final third and score goals.  

CB: Hainault: Experience counts in WCQ.  He is playing regularly at a good level, in a more competitive league than Straith.  Straith has never impressed me at CB.  He was burned badly on the goal away to Belize, and I've seen that happen to him before, specifically in the friendly against Bulgaria I think it was.  I would have liked to see Jakovic or Henry in this spot, but with neither likely available, it's rightfully Hainault's.

----------------------Cavallini----------------------
Akindele------------Osorio---------------Hoilett
----------Hutchinson---------Teibert------------
Morgan------Edgar------Jakovic---------Henry
----------------------Borjan----------------------

Any reason why you have Hoilett on the right and Akindele on the left?

I like the idea of Osorio at LW. I also like the idea of Hoilett at LW.

However, I think in Floro's 4-1-4-1 it's more appropriate to have Hoilett out there than Osorio. With TFC, Osorio is not running at defenders and playing high. 

Hoilett (and Petrasso) are exactly the type of players you'd want out there. On the right,  Ricketts and Akindele, although I prefer the later as he makes better use of the ball, generally.

Just cause I was surprised to see folks picking Cavallini ahead of Larin, checked out his recent performances. A goal Saturday in a 2-0 win over the last place team, but Fenix is just behind the perennial monsters after 8 games. He's in the featured pic.

http://www.ovaciondigital.com.uy/futbol/villa-teresa-fenix-apertura.html

Sounds like his performance was good, scored on open play. Take away penalties and he's tied for third overall in Uruguay scoring so far. 4 goals, three from his foot and a header.

I think Floro needs to watch him play a bit, to see how he works. Maybe all of us need to catch a Fenix game, otherwise I don't see how we can pick him over Larin who is also on fire and deserves the spot. 

I just threw it out there to be devils advocate. There is no way anyone could justify Lucas starting ahead of Cyle, if not only for the fact he has been with the squad and the program and stuck with us. Floro has to be careful not to send out the wrong message as much as I'm sure Lucas will expect, if not demand the starting spot. Of course Larin has also been on fire for his club. 

I do however think Larin needs some protecting, he wasn't an automatic starter in the Gold Cup every game for this reason IMO. So would it shock me to see Cavallini in there if he has a good game against Ghana, no. 

I just threw it out there to be devils advocate. There is no way anyone could justify Lucas starting ahead of Cyle, if not only for the fact he has been with the squad and the program and stuck with us.  

I do think that perhaps Cavallini can offer more against teams from Central America. Larin hasn't done something against those teams, so that's why it can be justified.

I do think that perhaps Cavallini can offer more against teams from Central America. Larin hasn't done something against those teams, so that's why it can be justified.

Well I agree with this. 

Lucas will have Ghana to prove himself.

Is it unlimited substitutions against Ghana?  If so you have to give cavallini and Hoilett at least a half to try and prove they belong.  Then Floro can have a better idea how they fit in with the core group going into Nov.  If they show well and really are commited Hoilett starts in Nov and Cavallini is probably ahead of Haber as the first attacking option off the bench.  

Between the fence sitters (Aird.Hoilett), the naturalized guys (Lefevre, eventually Camara) and the young guys (Larin,Petrasso,Froese,Bustos etc) I think we have seen the last of ISSEY, REB, and maybe even Pachs and Ocean.  Funny how the  "get ocean on the roster" contingent has gotten very quiet the past month or so.  

Is it unlimited substitutions against Ghana?  If so you have to give cavallini and Hoilett at least a half to try and prove they belong.  Then Floro can have a better idea how they fit in with the core group going into Nov.  If they show well and really are commited Hoilett starts in Nov and Cavallini is probably ahead of Haber as the first attacking option off the bench.

Between the fence sitters (Aird.Hoilett), the naturalized guys (Lefevre, eventually Camara) and the young guys (Larin,Petrasso,Froese,Bustos etc) I think we have seen the last of ISSEY, REB, and maybe even Pachs and Ocean.  Funny how the  "get ocean on the roster" contingent has gotten very quiet the past month or so.

Since its a FIFA "A" friendly the max number of substitutes is 6.

I still think it's a mistake not to take a look at OO who s been excellent with his club the whole summer. That being said, it's obvious that Floro won't call him, so I won't bother asking for OO to be included every time their a roster announcement.

Archived