Your XI for November

Keegan

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely fuming with this performance. Lacking creativity is one thing (more than worrying), but playing so sloppy and without care defending so high up the pitch is unacceptable. 

No clue coming forward, dodgy at best in defence. Phoned this one in. Looking forward to an absolute spanking from Mexico. If the players are happy with that we have more problems then just the negative tactics and poor performances.

Absolutely fuming with this performance. Lacking creativity is one thing (more than worrying), but playing so sloppy and without care defending so high up the pitch is unacceptable. 

No clue coming forward, dodgy at best in defence. Phoned this one in. Looking forward to an absolute spanking from Mexico. If the players are happy with that we have more problems then just the negative tactics and poor performances.

Bingo.

What can any manager do when you can't beat a 12 man Cuba?  It's a joke.  USA man handled them 6-1 and we mailed it in.  Guess that's the difference between winners and LOSERS.  We've been losers for 15 years.  Tell you what, if I had the chance to be an Olympian for our nation I would be 1000% in but the mentality of a Canadian footballer is that they're too good and it's a privilege to Canada that they represent us.  

Bingo.

What can any manager do when you can't beat a 12 man Cuba?  It's a joke.  USA man handled them 6-1 and we mailed it in.  Guess that's the difference between winners and LOSERS.  We've been losers for 15 years.  Tell you what, if I had the chance to be an Olympian for our nation I would be 1000% in but the mentality of a Canadian footballer is that they're too good and it's a privilege to Canada that they represent us.  

what can a manager do? They can start by not playing players out of position. Calling up talented players. Not playing a defensive formation against a team you should be dictating play to. 

Thats just a start as to what a manager could do. 

Do you know first hand that every single player who has suited up for us feels like its canadas privelage they play for canada? Stalteri? Hume? Petrasso? Ledgerwood? Edgar? Hutch? 

Sorry not buying it. Those guys dont think theyre "too good"

they have incredible drive to get to where they are professionally. 

Do you think Petrasso has shown enough that he might get a call in Nov?  Looks like a man among boys out there.  He looks like the guy with multiple senior caps, not Peitite.  I nope he gets a chance to tear it up with QPR.  

Let's hope so. We could use the width. 

Petrasso was one of the few shining lights. Definitely worth a look in to me. Depends where he falls in the depth behind Hoilett, Akindele, Frose etc..

Apologies, not sure how I managed to paste my earlier response in here, I wasn't even reading this topic last night. Whoops. 

I like Petrasso a lot, and would love to see how he would play with the big boys. RIght now, I think he is trying to over compensate by dribbling too much at times. Something I think that could be managed with some old heads around.

I like Petrasso a lot, and would love to see how he would play with the big boys. RIght now, I think he is trying to over compensate by dribbling too much at times. Something I think that could be managed with some old heads around.

Dribbling too much, this was one of the complaints about Hoilett. Dribbling and not passing.

He made a couple of nice passes that other players just didn't read last night and other teams quickly identify that he is the danger man and try to mark him accordingly! I would really like to see him get a chance with better quality players around, I think he will fit in well!

Dribbling too much, this was one of the complaints about Hoilett. Dribbling and not passing.

That's what people said about Dero too. Its the Canadian way. If you aren't passing the ball back to the keeper you're holding onto it too much lmao.

But seriously. Im ok if a player with skill holds onto the ball a little bit more than other players do. We have been talking about how we need a guy with pace and skill. Now we might have two in hoilett and petrasso. Something we've been lacking since Dero was in his prime and before Simpson's career ended.

More and more I am wanting to see Petrasso earn a call for November. He continues to look dangerous and actually takes the initiative to attack - something sorely lacking at all levels, especially the senior team. Ricketts has given us a decent return in the scoring department, but I would be happy to see him dropped in favour of Petrasso. If I had to pick one or the other to provide a spark off the bench, I am clear with who I want. With Hoilett and Aird coming in, one would think Ricketts would lose his place in the lineup, but they need to prove they are better this camp first. Also, never bet against Ricketts. Ever.

Exactly. Take Petrasso out of the team, much like Boakai at the Pan-Ams, and we look desperately lacking of any threat whatsoever. It has been much the same in the Mens First XI. I think Petrasso certainly deserves the call, I wouldn't expect him to be anything but a sub though. 

Really depends where Floro see's him in comparison to Froese. 

I'll be optimistic and say Johnson will be ready in a month, so will Edgar. And Jakovic. It's about time we get some luck. 

My 11 to slaughter Honduras at a bumpin' BC place:

-----------------------Larin---------------------
Hoilett---------------Osorio------------Akindele
------------Johnson-------Hutchinson--------
De Jong------Edgar--Jakovic-----Ledgerwood
----------------------Borjan----------------------

Cavallini
Teibert -> on for Akindele in the 60' when we are up 2-0
Ricketts
De Guzman -> on for his cap in the 85' for Osorio 
Bekker
Petrasso -> on for a tired Hoilett in the 75'
Adekugbe
Henry
Hainault
Ouimette
Straith
Stama

Canada embarrasses Honduras 3-1 in front of an obnoxiously loud Voyageurs' section. 
Goals: Larin 5'
           Larin 45'
           Hoilett 74' - who finds a messy rebound, Ricketts style, and proceeds to cry for forgiveness in front of the     Voyageurs. 

I'll be optimistic and say Johnson will be ready in a month, so will Edgar. And Jakovic. It's about time we get some luck. 

Cavallini
Ricketts
Bekker
Adekugbe
Henry
Hainault
Ouimette
Straith
Stama

Canada embarrasses Honduras 3-1 in front of an obnoxiously loud Voyageurs' section. 
           Larin 45'
           Hoilett 74' - who finds a messy rebound, Ricketts style, and proceeds to cry for forgiveness in front of the     Voyageurs. 

You beat me this prediction. All of it....except I believe we will be up 3-0 when Akindele is subbed off for Teibert, 

Petrasso is quickly becoming my favourite player.  People think he dribbles too much?  I like the way he attacks.  Takes on the defender.  Who has done that recently?  Put him on the senior team with more talent and they can't focus on him.  I have never been this excited for a qualifier and those that have met me know I get pretty pumped for every game.  With the new additions it's an exciting time for Canadian soccer.  We don't actually have threats to score? Do we?

Cavallini
Ricketts
Bekker
Adekugbe
Henry
Hainault
Ouimette
Straith
Stama

Larin 45'

Is Henry healthy? If so I would think he gets some minutes.  How about Aird?  I would think Aird would be included in that roster.

Pardon my ignorance here, watched the Vancouver Whitecaps game last night, one of the few games I have watched at BC place. 

WOW that ball was bouncing and flying around like crazy on that field/turf, the speed of the ball on the ground seemed so fast.

With that being said, I really think Teibert needs to be considered for a starting role in the home game. His pace, a nice first touch and ability to dribble in tight places along with the familiarity of the field.  Just from watching yesterday, players that did not have great dribbling skills or a poor first touch are exposed on that turf, and can easily turn over the ball. Might hurt Canada with are constant back passing. :/

Kinda contradicting myself here with  regards to dribbling skills, but I could honestly see Floro go with Ricketts to get a start here. Just based on his pace, he could end up really opening up that game.  I really think you would need to consider Petrasso (dribbling and pace) also, I hope Petrasso has another good showing Saturday and Floro puts him in the November roster.

Nice to have more options on the wings. :) My starting 11 still undecided.

Formation: 4-4-2

---------------------Larin---------------------------
--------------------------------Cavallini-----------
Hoilett------------Hutchinson-------Osorio/Akindele
------------------------Johnson------------------
De Jong------Edgar--Jakovic-----------Arid
----------------------Stama----------------------

Depth

M:
Akindele/Osorio
Teibert
Petrasso
De Guzman
Samuel Piette

D:
Henry
Hainault
Ouimette
Straith
Levfluer

F:
Fisk
Petrasso (as needed)

G:
Milan

23 For WCQ Matches Against Honduras & El Salvador 

21370936351_b5021da38a_z.thumb.jpg.c0e87

What a time to be a Voyageur. 

With the U-23 Olympic qualifiers coming to a dismal end, and the senior mens teams impressive recent result against Ghana maintaining their undefeated streak since the Gold Cup. Benito Floro and his staff, and "us" the supporters have had the ability to watch, and analyze over 40 players in the past few months. This has presented the opportunity for a lot of players to show their worth to the CMNT program - few have, a lot haven't. However the reality is we are in a special time where a lot of quality players have re/joined the program. It also presents a time where we have a lot of players who have not only been released from Unattached FC, but getting substantial minutes in quality leagues. Going into the opening match of the 4th round against Honduras, Canada has the potential to start off with a bang in Vancouver going after the full three points which would provide momentum and confidence going into San Salvador. Below are my 23 that I would go to war with.

* denotes player is currently injured and may not be available for selection

GOALKEEPERS (3)

Milan Borjan, Kenny Stamatopolous, Maxime Crepeau 

Outlook - Milan is the clear number one keeper right now, with the trusted deputy Kenny backing him up as the number two for these upcoming matches. Young Maxime’s impressive displays at the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying has put him in this team over the likes of Thomas.  

Missed the Cut: Quillian Roberts, Simon Thomas 

______

DEFENDERS (8)

David Edgar, *Doneil Henry, Wandrille Lefvere, Marcel de Jong, Ashtone Morgan, Manjekar James, Karl Ouimette, Fraser Aird

Outlook - This group of defenders provide the combination of experience, youth, athleticism, and speed to deal with the Central american attacks. Marcel has the LB position locked, and Edgar has one of the CB position down too. With Doneil coming back from injury, Lefvere’s impressive debut performance, Ouimettes continued rise in development, and the young prospect Fraser - the second CB and RB position are up for the taking. 

Missed the Cut: Andre Hainault, *Dejan Jakovic, *Nikolas Ledgerwood, Luca Gasparotto

______

MIDFIELDERS (9)

Junior Hoilett, Atiba Hutchinson, *Will Johnson, Tesho Akindele, Jonathan Osorio, Russell Teibert, Adam Straith, Tosaint Ricketts, Michael Petrasso

Outlook - This dynamic group of midfielders provides Canada with quality in every position - something that we haven’t experienced. The addition and excellent debut of Junior Hoilett showed what Canada has been bitterly missing, but with the ability to pair him with Tesho on the other side can create a formidable attack on the wings. In the middle of field I would have Atiba, Will, and Osorio or Straith controlling and dictating the play for Canada. Some would call for the likes of Ricketts to NOT be called up, but to me I can’t neglect the fact thats he's Canada’s top active goal scorer. With the combination of experience, leadership, speed,  and individual skill this group will be the start of something special for the CMNT program starting with the game in Honduras.

Missed the Cut: Julian De Guzman, Kianz Froese, Maxime Tissot, Mason Trafford, Samuel Piette

______

FORWARDS (3)

Cyle Larin, Lucas Cavalini, Marcus Haber

Outlook - The runaway favourite for the rookie of the year in the MLS, Cyle Larin is arguably one of the best young players in CONCACAF. With 15 goals in 25 games, he is having the best season as Canadian forward and would look to him to lead the line. However not far behind him is the return of the skillful Luca Cavalini; he too is having a breakout season with 4 goals in 8 games making him one of the top young scorers in the Uruguayan Primera Division. To complete this group, you can’t forget about the loyal servant in Haber. He’s not having the same kind of season as his fellow compatriots, however Haber has demonstrated that everytime he puts on the red and white he’s going to give 110%.

Missed the Cut: Simeon Jackson, Anthony Jackson-Hamel

_____

STARTING XI

1350664_Canada.jpg

OR

barring any injuries

1350666_Canada.jpg

I think there's universal consensus that our ideal midfield is Hoilett, Osorio, Johnson, Hutchinson and Akindele with Larin upfront alone.

I can't remember when we've had such quality  across the midfield and striker position at the same time.  That lineup should really be good enough to take the 4th CONCACAF spot IMO

For me the midfield has to include Julian De Guzman.  He is still one of the best performers we have had (not to mention the most experienced which is crucial here) and I'd take him over Osorio.  And I can't see Ricketts being dropped from RW.  

---------Larin-----------

JH----------------Ricketts

------WJ*---Hutch--------

----------JDG-------------

* If injured I'd replace him with Osorio or Teibert

Archived