Your XI for November

Keegan

Though he's had a few strong international matches over the course of his career, as I mentioned I have never been sold on Bernier with NT.  That said, at the moment I think I'd rather have him available off the bench for November then one or two of the usual squad options that Floro likes to choose.  

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough call - Keep with the development of players in the squad and long term planning or pick the players in form? Good think Floro gets paid for it.

You have to do a bit of both imo. Question is how much is Bernier on the outside of the set up given his recent squad omissions and is it enough that by picking him it upsets the system. Seems like a no-brainer to use him given his form and experience for an important game. Friendlies can be forgiven and used well for developing younger long term talents but we surely have to pick the best players for the job, provided they fit in the system we will use. Bernier will surely fit in, he is a consummate pro.  

We've never won with bernier before, now in his mid thirties it's gonna all work out? Come on guys.

2006wcq vs Honduras 2 ties

2010wcq vs Honduras 2 losses

2014wcq vs Honduras 1 loss 1 tie

I think these results scream new blood. Even Julian, I love the guy but he's always been in there and we can't get it done. Hutchinson still plays at the highest level and is younger, other than that we need  new blood

I'm not advocating to start Bernier or even necessarily to include him. Point is whether players should be picked on form. Also worth noting that club form doesn't guarantee impact (pun intended) at National level, Hoillett vs. Ghana shows the other side of that coin. With such an important game you want players that you can use effectively imo. Floro has left him out for a reason in the past, it is down to whether he thinks having an in-form player could make a difference of the bench or in the squad.  

We've never won with bernier before, now in his mid thirties it's gonna all work out? Come on guys.

2006wcq vs Honduras 2 ties

2010wcq vs Honduras 2 losses

2014wcq vs Honduras 1 loss 1 tie

I think these results scream new blood. Even Julian, I love the guy but he's always been in there and we can't get it done. Hutchinson still plays at the highest level and is younger, other than that we need  new blood

don't agree with the logic here. Do those results fall squarely on Bernier or de Guzman's shoulders? Without a fact check, I am confident in saying that Hutchinson was a part of those results too.

How can you say we shouldn't call Bernier or de Guzman because we never got results with them, yet exclude Hutchinson from that logic when he was also part of that group? That is a very poor argument to make. 

If you don't want either de Guzman or Bernier called, present a case for an alternative player and provide a supporting argument for why player x is a better choice - but don't say we shouldn't call them because we never qualified for the world cup with them. That logic is extremely flawed.

Floro has his template and the guys he likes to use in it.  Apart from the offensive side of the game, where he's brought in Hoillet or was able to bring back Cavallini, the more defensive side of his player pool is pretty much set with regards to central midfield and the back line.  As BrennanFan said, I don't think he's going to be moved to bring in someone who's been outside the program for awhile because of a two game hot streak,  but by the same token I think he'd continue including one or two in spite limited first team club minutes (or even an underwhelming performance with the NT). 

IMO, players should be called based on the club level and playing time. I can’t say Bernier was regular this year but I think his playing time numbers are ok IMO, and also he plays in MLS which is, I think everybody agree on this, the best league in CONCACAF after the Mexican First Division. I also must say that overall, this year included, Bernier was very good for Montreal Impact but sadly he couldn’t perform with the NT the same way he performed at club level. That’s why I don’t think he should be called.

I should add that following Floro’s logic, he won’t call Bernier since he decided to go with young players and only a few veterans. I don’t have a problem with this approach from Floro. I have a problem with his tactics against weaker opposition but I don’t have a problem calling young players. Floro was particularly good to Larin and Gagnon-Laparé since day 1 and I see where he is coming. The pool was very small when he took charge of the NT and he's trying to grow the pool by promoting young players. 

Wasn't he the one to hit the post (or he had a superb chance) during the 8-1 loss right before it all went to shit?

I don't think the problem was Julian hitting the post from a shot at the edge of the box, it was Ricketts missing the rebound - after he waited too long to bury a cross a few moments earlier.

I don't think the problem was Julian hitting the post from a shot at the edge of the box, it was Ricketts missing the rebound - after he waited too long to bury a cross a few moments earlier.

It wasn't Julian... Jackson hit the post.  Yes, I still have nightmares.

With the roster likely to he released this week, here is my final guess on who will be called and who will start in Vancouver. Going to limit my roster to 20.

GK - Bojan

GK - Stamatopolis 

D - De Jong

D - Morgan

D - Lefvere 

D - Edgar

D -Ouimette

D/M - Aird

D/M - Straith

M - Hutchinson

M -de Guzman

M -Johnson

M - Piette 

M Teibert

M - Hoilett

M/F Akindele

M/F Ricketts

F -Larin

F - Haber

F - Cavallini 

-------------------Stamatopolis----------------

Ouimette----Edgar----Lefvere ----de Jong 

-------------------------Straith ------------------------

Ricketts--de Guzman--Hutchinson--Hoilett 

--------------------------Larin--------------------

With the roster likely to he released this week, here is my final guess on who will be called and who will start in Vancouver. Going to limit my roster to 20.

GK - Bojan

GK - Stamatopolis 

D - De Jong

D - Morgan

D - Lefvere 

D - Edgar

D -Ouimette

D/M - Aird

D/M - Straith

M - Hutchinson

M -de Guzman

M -Johnson

M - Piette 

M Teibert

M - Hoilett

M/F Akindele

M/F Ricketts

F -Larin

F - Haber

F - Cavallini 

That XI is depressingly defensive.

Heres my 23 barring injuries in mind.

GOALKEEPERS (3):

Milan Borjan, Kenny Stamatopolous, Simon Thomas

DEFENDERS (8):

Marcel de Jong, Andre Hainault, Wandrille Leferve, Karl Ouimette, Manjekar James, Ashtone Morgan, Adam Straith, Luca Gasparotto

MIDFIELDERS (9):

Atiba Hutchinson, Junior Hoilett, Julian De Guzman, Fraser Aird, Jonathan Osorio, Tesho Akindele, Tosaint Ricketts, Russell Teibert, Will Johnson

FORWARDS (3):

Cyle Larin, Lucas Cavallini, Marcus Haber

STARTING XI:

----------------------------Borjan-----------------------------

Ouimette-----------Leferve--------Hainault-------de Jong

----------------------------Straith----------------------------

Tesho--------Hutchinson----------De Guzman-----Hoilett

-----------------------------Larin------------------------------

INJURED: David Edgar, Doneil Henry, Nikolas Ledgerwood, Dejan Jakovic

GK - Bojan

GK - Stamatopolis 

D - De Jong

D - Morgan

D - Lefvere 

D - Edgar

D -Ouimette

D/M - Aird

D/M - Straith

M - Hutchinson

M -de Guzman

M -Johnson

M - Piette 

M Teibert

M - Hoilett

M/F Akindele

M/F Ricketts

F -Larin

F - Haber

F - Cavallini 

I don't think you're far off, but what a depressing lineup and roster. Some good options ignored by Floro...

Archived