Your XI for November

Keegan

I am 100% confident all the vets and the players know the importance of winning this HOME game.  No way they are forgetting how close they were to making the HEX last cycle and how they could have had it wrapped up before Honduras away.

I am also confident Floro knows how important winning the 1st game is. That is why he likely brought in the handful of new faces, many attacking options, so close to the 1st qualifier.  Does the timing suck, of course it does, but it gives him more options and arguably increases our quality in front of goal.  Look at the Gold Cup, 0 goals, sure blame Floro. However, I am sure there are many players on the team that are blaming themselves and not Floro for why we went scoreless. PLAYERS miss headers, empty nets and breakaways not the MANAGER, which all happened to us that tournament.  Glad we have more options now and a stronger midfield compared to the Gold Cup. 

I dunno have a good feeling, Hoilett can really open up a game, so can Ricketts with his speed, this will create even more space for Hutch to set up and allow Larin/Cavillini space to bury. :)

I'm keeping the faith until the end, glad Floro got these guys on board from Game 1 of this round.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy Najar probably won't be with the Honduras NT. Big boost for us if true.

This would be huge.  Najar is a killer.  

He hasn't played for Honduras since the Gold Cup.  Apparently Anderlecht refused to release Najar for the September friendlies due to a controversial injury claim.  Then he was not released by Anderlecht for the U23 Tournament and Najar did not play the October friendlies.  

The last Honduran article I've seen on Najar is this one, where Honduras' coach says he will not call up Najar for the November Qualifiers unless Najar speaks to him personally.  

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/890250-99/pinto-condiciona-llamado-de-najar-estoy-esperando-que-me-responda

Ives' tweet today claiming that Najar is gone from Honduras NT due to "personal reasons" is excellent news for us. Losing their best player will affect their whole team psychologically.  While we will be on a high with our new additions.

I am also confident Floro knows how important winning the 1st game is. That is why he likely brought in the handful of new faces, many attacking options, so close to the 1st qualifier.  Does the timing suck, of course it does, but it gives him more options and arguably increases our quality in front of goal.

The only way the program was going to move up the ladder was with a talent infusion, particularly with attackers.  At the time of Floro's arrival I felt his most important influence would be to persuade undecideds to join or re-join the program.  Getting Akindele on board, then the forever courted Hoillet, as well as the return of Cavallini, is a big plus in his favour.  

This would be huge.  Najar is a killer.  

He hasn't played for Honduras since the Gold Cup.  Apparently Anderlecht refused to release Najar for the September friendlies due to a controversial injury claim.  Then he was not released by Anderlecht for the U23 Tournament and Najar did not play the October friendlies.  

The last Honduran article I've seen on Najar is this one, where Honduras' coach says he will not call up Najar for the November Qualifiers unless Najar speaks to him personally.  

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/890250-99/pinto-condiciona-llamado-de-najar-estoy-esperando-que-me-responda

Ives' tweet today claiming that Najar is gone from Honduras NT due to "personal reasons" is excellent news for us. Losing their best player will affect their whole team psychologically.  While we will be on a high with our new additions.

I am happy that he won't be facing us, but at the same time sounds like it is a serious family matter that had led to his withdrawal. Obviously I hope everything works out for him and his family. Kid is one of the most exciting talents from this region.

Looks like Will Johnson should be healthy in time for Nov. 13.  

Johnson, who is returning from a minor surgery to remove two screws from his tibia, was able to partially participate in training today, Caleb Porter told the press, and will hopefully rejoin full training tomorrow, although his lack of fitness will keep him out of at least the match on Sunday against the LA Galaxy. Johnson could potentially make his return against the Colorado Rapids in the Timbers' final regular season match, but even that seems like it could be a stretch, making a potential Timbers playoff berth the most likely time for Johnson to get back in the XI.

http://www.stumptownfooty.com/2015/10/16/9556135/portland-timbers-training-quotes-and-notes-in-and-out

Anyone have an update on Jakovic?  Shimizu S Pulse tweeted back in August he would be out for 6 weeks with a pulled hamstring.  He hasn't played since then.  

Looks like Will Johnson should be healthy in time for Nov. 13.  

Johnson, who is returning from a minor surgery to remove two screws from his tibia, was able to partially participate in training today, Caleb Porter told the press, and will hopefully rejoin full training tomorrow, although his lack of fitness will keep him out of at least the match on Sunday against the LA Galaxy. Johnson could potentially make his return against the Colorado Rapids in the Timbers' final regular season match, but even that seems like it could be a stretch, making a potential Timbers playoff berth the most likely time for Johnson to get back in the XI.

http://www.stumptownfooty.com/2015/10/16/9556135/portland-timbers-training-quotes-and-notes-in-and-out

Anyone have an update on Jakovic?  Shimizu S Pulse tweeted back in August he would be out for 6 weeks with a pulled hamstring.  He hasn't played since then.  

Its all falling together. I'm done with the disappointment. Expect 6 points next International break.

Andy Najar probably won't be with the Honduras NT. Big boost for us if true.

I also want to remind everyone that Roger Espinoza is still a question mark for Honduras. He has been injured for a few months and is still not dressing for SKC. Unsure if he is training yet or not.

Not facing both Najar and Espinoza is a big boost for us. On the other hand, Najar hasn't played since the GC and Espinoza sat out for personal reasons, so their preparations for WCQ won't necessarily be affected. 

--------- Larin -------

-------- Osorio----

Hoilett-Hutchinson-Johnson-Akindele

De Jong-- Edgar---Hainault-- Aird

---- Borjan ----

Ledgerwood is injured, edgar, is he injured still I'm not sure, Johnson is (hopefully) recovered.

A little over 3 weeks to go and this is what I would like to see in Floro's 4-1-4-1.

--------------------Larin-------------------

Hoilett--Osorio--Johnson--Akindele

----------------Hutchinson--------------

De jong--Lefvere--Straith--Ouimette

---------------Stamatopolis---------------

Some of you favour Johnson at the bottom of that triangle rather than Hutchinson, but to me Atiba doesn't express himself very much when playing in advanced positions for us. Too passive. Not willing to make runs into the box like Johnson.

On the other hand, Johnson as a sole defensive shield makes me nervous. He is not as reliable with the ball as Hutchinson and I think the team will play with a more calming influence with Hutchinson as the anchor.

Straith is the other choice as he has proven to be a real good player for us in there, but with Henry out and Edgar/Jakovic still in doubt, I would feel most comfortable with Straith at Centre back. Hainault could slide in after a respectable performance against Ghana but I trust Straith more.

Ouimette over Arid because he has more experience. You give up some attacking possibilities but it's worth it.

Osorio over Teibert. He is just in better for,  although he sat out TFC'S last game. Did he pick up a knock? 

I like the midfield trio of Hutch, Johnson and Osorio.  Hopefully Floro takes Osorio out of the dog house because this game is too important to sit him.

Of the 3 I think Johnson is the most likely DM but I question his match fitness with such an up and down season for him.

Out wide it's definitely going to be Hoilett out left and we have some options with Ricketts and Akindele out right.  To be honest I think they will both play part of the game with the other as a sub for us.

Up top once again we will see Larin start but I suspect he's going to come out in the 2nd half for Haber or Cavalini.  Again it's nice to have  options. 

This is the best set of midfield and attacking options we've had since Josh Simpson went down last cycle.

Nice post baulderdash, the only thing I would change is the midfield trio.  I can't overlook De Guzman in favour of Osorio, he is just too experienced and that is crucial here.  Also, Osorio has been mediocre at best for Canada and while De Guzman isn't the 2008 De Guzman he is still our most capped player with experience in 3 cycles, top level leagues and during the Gold Cup I thought he was one of the few bright spots.  I still think JDG is one of our top players regardless of playing in NASL, if Canadians were domestics he would be in MLS IMO.

I agree with you Keegan - I think de Guzman will start if healthy. That would presumably push Hutchinson up in a partnership with Johnson (assuming he is fit to start). 

Indeed Osorio has been mediocre with Canada but he hasn't had much opportunity to find a rhythm with us either. He started the home leg against Dominica, but aside from that he's been limited to minutes off the bench. I don't know if it's wise to insert Osorio over Johnson for the next match, but I would like to see Osorio start in the future, or at least get more chances.

The players who have been consistent starters for us have also been the most consistent (no surprise): de Guzman, Straith, Edgar, Jakovic, Hutchinson, even Ricketts.

Players like Teibert and Osorio rarely start for us and neither has really put on a good show. While Teibert has been the more consistent of the two, Osorio has been more up and down - but still has had good moments.

I do still remember that excellent through ball he played to Ricketts for the Dominica goal at BMO. Fantastic. That is what gets me excited about him and it something we are definitely lacking. Johnson may give us more steel in the midfield but he doesn't have that eye for a pass.

Just thinking to myself today... It really is incredible isn't it?  I remember thinking to myself Canada may have a shot if Larin can develop into a MLS starter early on, Hoilett commits, Cavallini comes back etc.... all the pieces are really falling together even better than I could have dreamed.  We have no results to show for it but it really does seem that this program is back from the dead.  Now it's time to give Honduras our seat on the couch.

So many "ifs" but really we find ourself in the best situation that we could have hoped for *knocks on wood*.  Now we need to hope we can take advantage.  

------------------Borjan

Ouimette-Lefevre-Jakovic-DeJong

-----------------DeGuzman

Akindele-Hutchinson-Osorio-Hoilett

--------------Larin

Subs

Kenny S

Ricketts

Hanauilt

Aird

Petrasso

Johnson

Cavallini

Not sure if Johnson and Edgar be fit in time.

Having Hoilett now means we can bring on Ricketts as a sub, if needed. I know he's not technically the greatest but, I think would be pretty damn useful as a 80 min sub. 

Contrary to his lack of popularity on this board, Ricketts has been a core member of Floro's squad since he's taken over the program. I wouldn't be surprised if Ricketts has started every game during this time, so I doubt that he would suddenly be dropped to the bench at the last minute.

If Hoilett has managed to force his way into our starting lineup, I suspect that it would be as Rickett's wing partner, rather than as his replacement. Akindele might be the one left out here or a rotation might be created between the three, to keep legs fresh.

------------------Borjan

Ouimette-Lefevre-Jakovic-DeJong

-----------------DeGuzman

Akindele-Hutchinson-Osorio-Hoilett

--------------Larin

Subs

Kenny S

Ricketts

Hanauilt

Aird

Petrasso

Johnson

Cavallini

Not sure if Johnson and Edgar be fit in time.

jakovic may not be fit either

jakovic may not be fit either

Yeah, my biggest worry looking ahead are the injuries to our back line (centre and right back). It is possible that Edgar, Henry, Ledgerwood and Jakovic will all be unavailable for these very key games and that scares me. The next quartet (of centre/right backs) of Straith, Hainault, Ouimette and Lefevre are a considerable drop from the injured foursome. Fingers crossed for some good news.

EDIT:

1 - Clarification added (re: "next quartet of centre/right backs" - I wasn't talking about defenders in general), in response to Keegan's comment below. Cheers!

2 - Great to read Floortom's update on David Edgar below, that he is on the mend and should be good for our November matches.

Yeah, my biggest worry looking ahead are the injuries to our back line (centre and right back). It is possible that Edgar, Henry, Ledgerwood and Jakovic will all be unavailable for these very key games and that scares me. The next quartet of Straith, Hainault, Ouimette and Lefevre are a considerable drop from the injured foursome. Fingers crossed for some good news.

Luckily the backline is our deepest area of the team.  To say that those four would be the next quartet isn't exactly correct considering none are left backs, De Jong is healthy and undoubtedly our starting LB.  So really you are dropping 3 from Edgar to Straith/Lefevre, Jakovic to Hainault and Ledgerwood to Ouimette (?). I really don't see that drop as severe.. when you consider that a drop of 3 midfielders would be disastrous.  Regardless, Edgar will be healthy and ready to go in November, it is quite likely that Jakovic will be too (if he's even called, with the emergence of Lefevre I doubt it) and it's even likely that Ledgerwood will be healthy as well.  This is WCQ after all, time to strap on our playoff hockey brains.  

Archived