Your 23-Man Roster for Belize series.

Hawkguy

Man you all are rough on John. I had a nice chat with him on the subway a couple months ago and he seemed like a really down-to-earth and genuine fellow. I was pretty intoxicated too, so he had every right to give me the cold shoulder. In fact, we almost exclusively talked CMNT.

Further, don't reporters only basically get one question to ask? Try writing a story when there's like four or five reporters and all are only allowed to ask a question. I forget where I read that, but I didn't previously know that and it really provided some insight into the information available for articles.  

As for being too negative - he's a reporter! I'd prefer if he wasn't some CSA doorknob jizzing fuzzy rainbows just to keep our hopes up and try and raise the profile of Canadian Soccer. That's not his job, nor will it work because the Canadian public doesn't know who John Molinaro is, or give a shit about what he says (no offense John ;))! It's only us bozos that pick apart his articles. I expect reporters to give their fair and honest assessment of the CMNT and based on our gold cup play we deserve to get shit kicked in the press for how lifeless we were.

Lastly, to those trying to spin Bekker as a player underappreciated due to <paraphrasing> 'the casual fan not knowing what he does'; that's absolute horeshit and akin to when Bargnani said "I do more complicated things than playing defense and rebounding." The reality is Bekker won't be a professional for very much longer because he doesn't have the fitness, consistency, quality or all-around ability to play the game at a high level. He has some skills that are top quality (dead ball delivery, passing accuracy), but those skills aren't good enough to overcome all th overwhelming deficiencies that are schoolboy level. Frankly, this is sad for me to write as I really liked what Bekker could provide to the game when he was drafted, but he just never developed - exactly what was said in the article.

^^^It seems we had the same idea 1996

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with the Molinaro article is he thinks by aping and trying to appease a few Greater Toronto fans with his comment on Osorio he is doing a press service to the Canadian soccer readership. That is weak will and cheap reporting. 

But many on this board seemed to want this. Which is why I call it out and call it whining and worse, and think I am justified. The fans also have to participate positively in supporting the ones in the call up and on the pitch.

You don't get engaged, say I do, go home, and start calling up your old girlfriends. You just married a beautiful girl, show her some love and respect.

If anyone thinks any team, club or country, can prepare for a WC qualifier with the media focus on someone not there or signalling one there as undeserving, they have no idea how modest and even mediocre teams get good results. One of those is to have a group that is unified and with the coach. Another is to feel it is a team project and everyone is involved. Another is for there to be strong supporter backing and a climate of cohesion.

No team works if you think for a second about absences, or question merits of those training with you. Honestly, anyone who has even played beer league: can you play properly thinking the whole time about the one who has a cold and is home in bed, or the one ON THE BENCH you think should not be there. Nobody competes that way because no one can.

But the Vs have decided with this assinine case that is what should be happening.

So, are we all in this together to beat Belize? Obviously not, it is all hindsight and dirty shots and inspiring muckracking journalism and taking the publication of the cheap talk it like the real victory. 

If you are happy about what you as a Voyageurs have helped to create, then great, let that be the win, congratulations. 

Just do us a favour and don't bother bringing your bad blood to BMO on Friday eve.

Criticize his arguments all you want. That's what analysis pieces are out there for. But attacking him personally--which some have done--is offside.

That is a rule you just made up squizz, it has no grounding at all. Especially since that particular article denotes poor character on his part.

With all my respect, I write and publish in a different field and the character, tone and attitude you express in your writing means you are subject to being judged on that as well as the opinions or analysis. There is no rule in journalism that somehow journalists are exempt for having their character, motives and ethics commented upon on by readers, that is simply active reading.

PS. I don't count what I write here as part of my CV and certainly don't write thinking it is, but if I am attacked I usually assume it has to do with something that came across in what I wrote.

Criticize his arguments all you want. That's what analysis pieces are out there for. But attacking him personally--which some have done--is offside.

I really don't think anyone has, at least no more than he has attacked Bekker for not being good enough in some people's eyes.  The fact of the matter is that publishing some confidential source's opinion that Bekker "isn't good enough for this level" has no bearing on the argument that Osorio should be with the team.  Also, pronouncing that Bekker had a "less than impressive showing" at the Gold Cup when he played almost the same number of minutes as Osorio and neither really affected the game when they were on, seems petty and unnecessary.

He's going on past experience with Bekker, and so are those on here when discussing him (Molinaro).  Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast when you choose to make your living based on sharing your opinion with the masses (not trying to be a douche as I know you already know all this, just trying to make a point).  To say that someone on here has attacked him personally is a little much.  He could be a super nice guy and a lot of fun to have a drink with, but I don't respect his opinion on topics such as these due to past experience and this article just reinforced that.

Goose and gander and all that.

But many on this board seemed to want this. Which is why I call it out and call it whining and worse, and think I am justified. The fans also have to participate positively in supporting the ones in the call up and on the pitch.

You don't get engaged, say I do, go home, and start calling up your old girlfriends. You just married a beautiful girl, show her some love and respect.

If anyone thinks any team, club or country, can prepare for a WC qualifier with the media focus on someone not there or signalling one there as undeserving, they have no idea how modest and even mediocre teams get good results. One of those is to have a group that is unified and with the coach. Another is to feel it is a team project and everyone is involved. Another is for there to be strong supporter backing and a climate of cohesion.

+1 in my years watching Canada I've never seen such negativity and such a disdain for the players called to the team and love fest for those left at home.  

If we had scored ONE goal at the Gold Cup we wouldn't even be talking about this, so that's why I think it's sensationalist journalism.  I've seen Squizz and others say that "he's one of our 3 writers" okay so even more so, that means that 1/3rd of our CMNT media is being sensationalist and doing more harm than good.

This isn't the Gold Cup, it's WCQ and so far in WCQ we have 2 wins with 6 goals for and 0 against.  Turn the page folks and let this team find it's feet and get results.  Gold Cup = over and just like 10 other teams that were in the tournament we didn't win.  Move on, we get it you don't like Bekker and you like Osorio you could have put that in a blurb. 

The reality is that we had the media go on a high after the WCQ against Dominica, then we crashed down after the Gold Cup and now we've carried over the negativity to WCQ again... two different competitions.  

Don't mind my sarcasm - Lefevre has played in only 6 MLS games and has scored 1 goal as well and he wasn't selected either. And missing on a good chance to cap tie him too just to add some depth.

Ok but it s not like we are going to lose him to France.

Keegan I see what your saying about the focus on players not included. However, the bright side to this is that we have depth and that is evidenced in the complaints you are reading.

Are some people pissed that there is no Osorio (mainly), Morgan, Henry, Tissot, Occean etc? You bet. That is actually a fantastic thing. It's not like we have a weak squad going into the match tonight, despite all the players missing though injury or coach's decision.

So personally, I am excited today and am happy we have a good squad (not our best squad) to face Belize. I am sure I am not alone! Perhaps those who are critical are not as negative as you think...

Keegan I see what your saying about the focus on players not included. However, the bright side to this is that we have depth and that is evidenced in the complaints you are reading.

Are some people pissed that there is no Osorio (mainly), Morgan, Henry, Tissot, Occean etc? You bet. That is actually a fantastic thing. It's not like we have a weak squad going into the match tonight, despite all the players missing though injury or coach's decision.

So personally, I am excited today and am happy we have a good squad (not our best squad) to face Belize. I am sure I am not alone! Perhaps those who are critical are not as negative as you think...

Yup ... certainly getting to a point where some MLS starters are bubble players for us is a good sign.  Let's hope that continues!

Mr. Molinaro write as you see it and I know you will don't change. I know you read this forum, I enjoy your writings I don't always agree with what you write but then I know you don't expect everyone to agree with everything you write. This national team will do well because of good coaching and players performing, if they don't succede it will be on the coaching staff and the players not because of what the two or 3 writers that actually cover the team had to say.

What bugs me about articles like Molinaro's is that it comes from the perspective of MLS and TFC. We already get that from mls.com, and TFC & VWC broadcasts are bascially info commercials. Many of these articles are basically fluff pieces stroking the egos of MLS players or coaches for any little accomplishment. 

So, I actually appreciated it wasn't a fluff piece about the CMNT. But given we're talking about 2 players who aren't likely to be in the starting lineup, i would question Molinaro thinking it points to a serious flaw about Floro. 

Don't mind my sarcasm - Lefevre has played in only 6 MLS games and has scored 1 goal as well and he wasn't selected either. And missing on a good chance to cap tie him too just to add some depth.

Holy shit Black Ops! Good to (sorta) see you bud!

I agree, Lefevre is someone who should also be on this roster and has been overlooked. In the end, Floro can only call so many guys for this tie. Perhaps we'll see him and Oso on the next roster.

And as for the stuff with Molinaro - people keep your pants on. Are we so fragile when it comes to talk of the MNT we can't handle journalist opinions?

Lineups should be tweeted out in an hour or so.

My guess would be:

Akindele - Larin - Ricketts

W. Johnson - Hutchinson

deJong - deGuzman* - Ledgerwood

Straith - Edgar

Stamatopoulios

* If deGuzman isn't healthy enough to play, then Piette gets the start at DM.

Archived