Your 23-Man Roster for Belize series.

Hawkguy

People are only panicking about Bustos' "exclusion" from the team because some website somewhere said he could be an option for Chile's U-20 team. Were it not for that dubious link I don't think anyone who think twice that he wasn't on the roster.

Exactly and honestly if Petrasso breaks into QPR he wouldn't be far off an Italy U21 call so it's in our best interest to cap him.  Same with Adekugbe and Gasparotto to a lesser extent.  

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be a bad precendent to set. Fence sitters/potential defectors get calls and guys loyal to program through youth program get to wait on senior calls?? The endless complaining is astonishing! How many young players can he captie and work into the system in one camp and a 2 game series that we HAVE TO WIN? I look at the roster and the inclusion of Adekugbe (needs to be captied almost as much as Bustos), Petrasso, James, Gasparatto, Crepeau (young guys getting integrated into system) and the return of Hutch, Johnson and Isssy (vets coming back to fold) and I am pretty pleased. He cant make everyone happy and have everyones particular fav player in every camp.

He has a good strong team, and hopefully the mids will kick in some offense spark, we get up a few goals and some of the young guys can get their first cap. Maybe next time Tiebert/Bekker/Issey sits, Osario is rotated back in, Boaki, Babouli, Bustos and Trafford are the young guys getting their first shot. We can hope eh?

How many young players can he work into the system and captie?

Gee, you make it sound like I WANT Floro to bring these young guys in...

I'll say it again, I am not asking for Floro to integrate young players. What I am doing is questioning the rational to bring Petrasso over Bustos. Obviously Floro has already decided to bring these young guys in. One would think that Bustos would be more logical with Chile sniffing around.

Also, you are right that it sends the wrong message to call a guy who's exploring his options over a guy who is commited and deserving. However, that is not the case here (in my humble opinion) because Petrasso isn't any more or less deserving than Bustos.

The arguments I have read are 1) that Petrasso scored in league one as a 19 year old - which is a poor arguement because you don't call guys in based on form from over a year ago and 2) he was called in to senior camp already (with Carriero) and thus has a base to build on - which is also a poor argument because you'd think Floro would spread opportunities around unless 3) he really rates Petrasso over Bustos, which is why I keep asking "does Floro really think Petrasso is THAT much better than Bustos that he's willing to further invest in him at the expense of potentially cap tying Bustos"?

Obinna I don't think you can make a real argument that Bustos is more deserving than Petrasso.  Petrasso's form in League One wasn't over a year ago, he injured his ankle in February and has just returned.  He has 39 professional matches under his belt (including away to Liverpool) and broke into the QPR first team as a teen (imo one of the most underrated feats by a Canadian in recent years, if there was danger of him defecting people would be screaming for him to be called), he was also a leader and star on our U20 team.  

Bustos has one CCL sub appearance and time in USL Pro which is probably Conference/League Two level at best.  Petrasso broke into a much more competitive environment when getting minutes for QPR in the Championship and starring on loan stints, I think Bustos should do the same and then he'll have a call.  

People are only panicking about Bustos' "exclusion" from the team because some website somewhere said he could be an option for Chile's U-20 team. Were it not for that dubious link I don't think anyone who think twice that he wasn't on the roster.

For the record I am not panicking, I am just shaking my head.

You are right that if the Chile link never emerged we wouldn't be discussing this, but it has and here we are yet again.

The Chile link is a reminder that we still have an un-tied prospect who is very promising.

Unlike Petrasso (who could be on the radar for Italy U-21), Bustos has actually attended a Chile camp in the past so the possibility of losing him is very real. Petrasso could be on Italy's radar if he was breaking through with QPR, but he's not and there is no talk of Italy being interested at any level.

In regards to Adekugbe, there is no indication of interest from Nigeria or England, just like Petrasso and no Italy links.

Obinna I don't think you can make a real argument that Bustos is more deserving than Petrasso. Petrasso's form in League One wasn't over a year ago, he injured his ankle in February and has just returned. He has 39 professional matches under his belt (including away to Liverpool) and broke into the QPR first team as a teen (imo one of the most underrated feats by a Canadian in recent years, if there was danger of him defecting people would be screaming for him to be called), he was also a leader and star on our U20 team.

Bustos has one CCL sub appearance and time in USL Pro which is probably Conference/League Two level at best. Petrasso broke into a much more competitive environment when getting minutes for QPR in the Championship and starring on loan stints, I think Bustos should do the same and then he'll have a call.

I am not making an arguement that Bustos is more deserving than Petrasso. I already said that I don't believe either are deserving.

What I am saying is that if you're going to call in a young attacker why would you not call Bustos? Because Petrasso made 39 professional appearances in league one and two? Were any of those even in the 2015 calender year? I don't recall Petrasso getting any professional minutes since the U-20's failed to qualify (unlike Bustos).

I am not convinced Petrasso is miles ahead of Bustos at this current moment because at this current moment he isn't getting any professional minutes. What are we gauging Petrasso on here? The past? See what i'm saying?

If Petrasso was at Coventry City right now and getting minutes right now than calling him in over Bustos or Boakai or Carriero or Aleman or Froese would make sense, but he is not. Frankly I don't think any of them have done enough to earn a call (hmm, maybe Froese or Aleman are exceptions?) but like I said if you had to pick one from the equally undeserving lot you'd pick the one at greatest risk of defection would you not?

Obinna, Bustos is just that, promising. He has not proven anything to date, other than a hot streak in a low level of competition. Petrasso hasn't proven a lot more, but he has still shown more over a longer stretch of time, and in a better level of competition. You are right in that Bustos is a higher risk to go to another program, but that should not factor into whether we call a player or not, unless they are of a much higher standard at Bustos' age (think Hoilett at 19).

The reality is that we cannot cap tie every prospect with a little bit of promise that comes along. As well, just because a player is cap tied, it does not mean they will commit to the national team beyond that game. (see Cavallini, Lucas) If a player such as Bustos decides to bolt for Chile because he wasn't cap tied at 19, quite frankly he wasn't that committed to Canada in the first place and arguably wouldn't be committed even if he were cap tied.

They are different players, completely. I think Floro's call up's are based on his formation....

If Tissot was not called, I'd say an in form Petrasso is next behind him on the depth chart for that left flank.
I'm not sure what Floro plans to do with our formation but considering where he has put Akindele.. I'd say the depth for that position is

Tesho
Tissot
Petrasso

So, for what ever reason why Tissot wasn't called, Petrasso must be next on the chart.

I'm guessing Floro sees Atiba and Will in the centre two mid spots of his 4-1-4-1... And is that where Bustos would play in a Floro formation? If so,

Hutchinson   Johnson
Osorio           Teibert?
Bekker           Bustos/Boakai/Carreiro and co.

So, yeah, I'd say Bustos or one of our young attacking midfielders should have been called!

I am not convinced Petrasso is miles ahead of Bustos at this current moment because at this current moment he isn't getting any professional minutes. What are we gauging Petrasso on here? The past? See what i'm saying?

I get what you're saying but you need to put it in context Petrasso just spent all pre-season with QPR and was getting minutes.  They've only played a few games so it's reasonable that he doesn't have time yet, especially since he'll likely be loaned out after the window.  Bustos is 6 months into his season and hasn't broken into Vancouver, a weaker team than QPR and is playing at a level that is closer to semi-pro than professional.  

For all we know Petrasso has been having a great preseason and is rounding into form, time will tell.  

What are we gauging Bustos on exactly?  The fact he's played well in USL Pro?  That's like calling Petrasso based on U21 performances.  He hasn't done enough to get a minute with Vancouver in MLS so I don't see how he can get called over Froese even.  

@ Sherm - You are right that Petrasso hasn't shown a lot more than Bustos. Again, I don't see why we'd bring either at this stage.

If it was Bustos getting the call I would have also questioned it but that would have been followed with a postive spin like "well, it will be an opportunity to cap-tie him".

So, it is only fair to share the positive in the Petrasso call, isn't it?

That positive is - hopefully Petrasso features, makes an impression and sends a strong message back across the pond. A strong showing internationally could really kick start things on the club side and I hope he has a fantastic showing because things have gotten a little stale. I was expecting him to already be out on loan or making the bench for the first team.

And of course, cap-tying Petrasso would be another benefit, because we can't have him unattached with Italy-U-21 sniffing around, now can we?

I get what you're saying but you need to put it in context Petrasso just spent all pre-season with QPR and was getting minutes. They've only played a few games so it's reasonable that he doesn't have time yet, especially since he'll likely be loaned out after the window. Bustos is 6 months into his season and hasn't broken into Vancouver, a weaker team than QPR and is playing at a level that is closer to semi-pro than professional.

For all we know Petrasso has been having a great preseason and is rounding into form, time will tell.

What are we gauging Bustos on exactly? The fact he's played well in USL Pro? That's like calling Petrasso based on U21 performances. He hasn't done enough to get a minute with Vancouver in MLS so I don't see how he can get called over Froese even.

You're right that context is important for sure, and for all we know he could be rounding into form and we don't know. But, that is the thing, we DON'T know. I suppose the pre-season minutes are a hint but I haven't seen him play and I don't know if anyone else did (gator?). Petrasso is a mystery that I am looking forward to seeing, but the timing is strange that's for sure.

As for Froese, I do think he is certainly more deserving of minutes than both Petrasso and Bustos. I would have liked to see him involved.

And, I wouldn't discount Bustos playing well in USL-Pro. He has what 6 goals in 13 matches? I acknowedge it may be apples to oranges since Petrasso is just starting his season and Bustos is in mid season form, but that's all the more reason why I'd expect him to get called to be ahead of Petrasso in the pecking order right now. Plus that is at least a gauge we can see, as opposed to Petrasso.

They are different players, completely. I think Floro's call up's are based on his formation....

If Tissot was not called, I'd say an in form Petrasso is next behind him on the depth chart for that left flank.

I'm not sure what Floro plans to do with our formation but considering where he has put Akindele.. I'd say the depth for that position is

Tesho

Tissot

Petrasso

So, for what ever reason why Tissot wasn't called, Petrasso must be next on the chart.

I'm guessing Floro sees Atiba and Will in the centre two mid spots of his 4-1-4-1... And is that where Bustos would play in a Floro formation? If so,

Hutchinson Johnson

Osorio Teibert?

Bekker Bustos/Boakai/Carreiro and co.

So, yeah, I'd say Bustos or one of our young attacking midfielders should have been called!

That makes sense, Petrasso is more of a pure winger than Bustos or Boakai, who can play out wide but are more effective centrally.

I dont buy the "you dont call in players to sit on the bench".

This isnt some friendly. Its third round wcq. You need depth. Especially with jdg hutch and johnson getting older and susceptible to injury.

Nations all over the world call good players in who dont see the field.

Also what about team cohesion and having the player perfect floros system.

I dont believe wcq is the time to experiment and call in younger players in place of the more established players so the younger ones can develop.

Once again this is wcq. We should select our best. 4th round wcq is 2 months away. If we have one injury in one of our weaker positions we should have the next best up to take his place.

The time time for players to learn the system for olympic qualifying was the pan ams. Or the upcoming olympic camp. Not wcq. Wcq is time to call your best players to qualify for the world cup.

Very nice post, so emphatic and convincing. Mind you, less than a month ago you already had us in the semis round and were predicting results. Here's your post;:

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

I think 9 points gets us in. A team wont go pointless like cuba did last round when 10 pts wasnt enough (based on head to head) 

Getting at least 6 points at home is a must. win vs ES and and honduras. A draw vs mex at home and 7 pts would be outstanding.

Then scratch 2 draws or 1 win on the road. 

Edited by king1010, 05 August 2015 - 04:34 PM.

•  

So either you think the Belize tie is a walkover and already have us in semis, like you clearly did in early August, or you think now is momentous moment to call in your best squad against Belize because it really really matters.

But not both, that is plain gratuitous and unconvincing. What exactly is this coherent position defended by you and so many others who were also predicting results in the semis round?

Will is a BEAUTY!

Glad he is back firing on all cylanders for Portland. Things could've been a lot worse with that injury of his.

I was reading MLS boards yesterday and there were a few people calling Johnson one of the dirtier players in the league. Could have been Sounders fans, not sure. What is that opinion based on, does Will really have a nasty MLS reputation? I for one was not aware of it.

Very nice post, so emphatic and convincing. Mind you, less than a month ago you already had us in the semis round and were predicting results. Here's your post;:

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

I think 9 points gets us in. A team wont go pointless like cuba did last round when 10 pts wasnt enough (based on head to head)

Getting at least 6 points at home is a must. win vs ES and and honduras. A draw vs mex at home and 7 pts would be outstanding.

Then scratch 2 draws or 1 win on the road.

Edited by king1010, 05 August 2015 - 04:34 PM.

So either you think the Belize tie is a walkover and already have us in semis, like you clearly did in early August, or you think now is momentous moment to call in your best squad against Belize because it really really matters.

But not both, that is plain gratuitous and unconvincing. What exactly is this coherent position defended by you and so many others who were also predicting results in the semis round?

You detective you. Wish I had that time on my hands.

Believe it or not. Its ok to predict how we would do in the 4th round and still want us to call up our best squad for third rd wcq and take nothing for granted.

So no i dont think belize is a walkover, yes i want our best squd called and yes I am still allowed to predict what would get us through in the semi round.

Heck i can even predict now how many points may get us throuhh the hex or even world cup group stage.

Crazy talk i know. But hypothetically predicting what would get us through doesnt mean im saying belize is a cake walk.

So by your logic since i predicted how many points we would need to advance in the 4th round. Im not allowed to say we should call up our best squad for third round and take nothing for granted.... Makes sense.

Nice try though.

Ps. I think 5 points gets us through the group stage at russia 2018.... But i want us to call up the best available squad to this third round Wcq in order to get there.

Uh o. Does me predicting wc group stage results mean i have no say on calling up the best possible squad for the rest of our wcq and ive taken concacaf for granted????

Exatly. Tbh i am sure Chile has plenty of quality ahead of bustos to choose from.

I was reading MLS boards yesterday and there were a few people calling Johnson one of the dirtier players in the league. Could have been Sounders fans, not sure. What is that opinion based on, does Will really have a nasty MLS reputation? I for one was not aware of it.

I'm not sure he's really dirty, but he's extremely whiny and generally disliked by a lot of MLS fans. I find him to be annoying with his constant complaints to referees.

Looking at the roster that has been picked it is worth noting that every single player has been in camp with Floro before. Though they haven't all seen game time with him, or in some cases, at all, yet, for the CMNT. I imagine this was part of the rationale for his selection. As others have already pointed out, this is no longer the time to experiment with new faces.

Though It may seem he is experimenting with some of the young guns, they in fact know his system, and they have played minutes in fully professional leagues. If not at a level that everyone here would like. While I doubt any of them will start, they will give depth and support to the vets, and be expected to go in and do the job the coach has brought them in for, should the need arise. I wouldn't be surprised if several are able to earn their first full caps.

Regarding Bustos specifically, I don't think he was ready for a call up, a few years ago, which is when he would have needed to be first called, if he was likely to see the field at this stage of WCQ. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he gets called for a winter friendly. But as far as the Chile thing. Floro has already made it clear that he will not be held hostage by fence sitters. And  frankly, Bustos hasn't a hope in hell of making the senior Chile team. At this point in his career he ought to have figured that out by now. Which I think he has.

...And  frankly, Bustos hasn't a hope in hell of making the senior Chile team. At this point in his career he ought to have figured that out by now. Which I think he has.

No kidding.  His own teams' DP Pedro Morales isn't good enough for Chile - that reality check is right in his face daily.

Archived