Your 23-Man Roster for Belize series.

Hawkguy

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Osorio overreacted a little.  But I think people read WAY too much into 5 seconds of television time.  The DeRo cheque signing gesture comes to mind.  I still am of the opinion that people made WAY too big a deal out of that.

Osorio reacted badly to being taken out of the game. He also played badly, resulting in Floro removing him from the game. I suspect the latter (combined with the presence of Hutchinson and Johnson, as mentioned) is the bigger factor in his absence.

Osorio reacted badly to being taken out of the game. He also played badly, resulting in Floro removing him from the game. I suspect the latter (combined with the presence of Hutchinson and Johnson, as mentioned) is the bigger factor in his absence.

That's fair.  I've advocated him in the past as being someone dangerous and capable of the through ball, but he showed little of that in the small time he was given in the Gold Cup.

That said, there were very few dangerous passers, I think teams like El Salvador did a great job of recognizing which players we DID have that were capable of being dangerous and closed them down HARD.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/jonathan-osorio-canada-belize-benito-floro-tfc-toronto-fc-mls-major-league-soccer-world-cup/

Molinaro now jumping in on the Osorio omission vs Bekker selection and bashing Bekker by adding this particular comment:

As one former national team player and noted Canadian soccer insider recently told Sportsnet: “Bekker is simply not good enough at this level, be it in MLS or for Canada. He hasn’t significantly progressed since his college days.”

That's a pretty harsh thing to say from a former Cdn nat player - wonder who said that - Forrest?

Yes it's a little strange that one of the best Cdn talent in MLS is not called up. But does this justify throwing someone under the bus? Is that Bekkers fault? Do we expect Bekker to say " I don't deserve it, I decline the call, and Osorio should take my place. " unlikely.

Also what's with the hate on Bekker all of a sudden? Yeah he was awful and pretty passive at the GC but three years ago Toronto and media were all goo goo for this guy like he was the next best thing and now they're trashing him. What's with this fallout?

Anyways this whole Osorio not getting picked to go against BELIZE affair reminds me of the Bernier fiasco in Montreal. Everyone there is upset as to why he doesn't play ahead of Donadel and Mallace. I always said the coach must have a valid reason, you'd hope, having the interest of the team first.

All I'm saying is that we, the fans, don't know what goes on inside the heads of coaches and we don't see or hear what goes on in training sessions or locker rooms. Obviously the reason why he's not on the team is because of Floro chose not to pick him for some reason. Why that is we don't know except what he said which was Johnson and Hutch are in. Make what you want of it - cause all what we say is speculative. Does Floro have a good reason not to pick him or is he being a krusty fart that has a grudge who knows! Maybe John instead of complaining should do more investigating and tell us why that is since he is the journalist with sources and access to finding out the truth to it?

I do t think it´s harsh. It s a fair assessment and i m pretty sure some MNT fans feel the same way about Bekker. I prefer reading that than comments failing to make a real evaluation of a player because the journalist or the former player is acting like a cheetleader.

Thats not harsh at all? These are professional athletes. It was an homest evaluation. Not good enough for mls. Hasnt progressed since college. There was no personal attack or bashing.

Heck ive had co workers be let go from their jobs for the same reasoning. Not good enough. Hasnt progressed since hiring.

You say he was hyped up 3 years ago. Yes indeed he was. And molinaro alluded that he hasnt progressed since college. If he had developed he would still be hyped.

Freddy adu was hyped up too... Look at him now. And you think no american outlest has said he "isnt good enough for the NT and hasnt progrssed"

I don't believe Floro is the man who is going to "revolutionize" the CMNT program. We may be better defensively, but it does seem like we are the only team in CONCACAF with such conservative tactics with the aim of trying to pull of a snatch and grab.

If we advance to the 4th round, I hope floro understands he will need the best inform players to succeed. That means calling up OO because if you haven't noticed, CL hasn't scored in the past 6 or 7 games, and MH has 1 goal in 5 games coming into this series. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/jonathan-osorio-canada-belize-benito-floro-tfc-toronto-fc-mls-major-league-soccer-world-cup/

Molinaro now jumping in on the Osorio omission vs Bekker selection and bashing Bekker by adding this particular comment:

To summarize:

- Osorio is one of the best Canadians in MLS because he has scored a goal and plays beside Giovinco and Bradley.  Cyle Larin might have something to say about that, what with playing beside Kaka and all.  De Jong plays beside Benny Feilhaber.  Is that why he got chosen?  He also has a goal too!

- Apparently Teibert is one of Canada's most dangerous attacking youngsters.  I love the guy to death, but I prefer his defensive game to his offensive game.  It's a sad state of affairs when your two most dangerous attacking youngsters have a total of one goal between them.

- Osorio has logged more minutes in MLS than any other Canadian.  While that's true, if that's the basis for selection, where is the other piece about Morgan who has the third most and was dropped in favour of De Jong and Adekugbe?

- Herculez Gomez has encyclopedic knowledge of Canada's midfield depth and formation.  He is a good resource for all things Canadian footy.

- Bekker hasn't lived up to his third-pick overall status.  Nevermind the fact that he was supposed to go mid- to late-first round by every mock draft out there.  But that's okay, let's hang Payne's incompetence on Bekker.  That makes sense.

- Unknown Canadian insider sources are the best kind of sources and everything they say should be taken as gospel.

- Apparently, Canada's problem has never been defence and should concentrate more on offence.  Hmm...interesting take for a team that surrendered 8 goals in a single game.

That's why it's so annoying to see runaway freight train threads like this one: because the "mainstream media" picks it up as an actual talking point.  I'm fine that they asked the question.  It's a good question.  But because Molinaro has actually turned this into a discussion topic, he's now disgruntled the player, the coach and any other casual fan who is too ignorant of Canada's depth/formation to know that Bekker will most likely be stapled to the bench.

That 8-1 drubbing in Honduras is a small sample size and had more to do with crumbling under heat and pressure than not having solid defence. Our defence has been our strong point no question.

We have trouble scoring goals EVERY game. One game we crumbled and let in 8. Its not out of the question for molinaro to say we should concentrate on offence.

That 8-1 drubbing in Honduras is a small sample size and had more to do with crumbling under heat and pressure than not having solid defence. Our defence has been our strong point no question.

We have trouble scoring goals EVERY game. One game we crumbled and let in 8. Its not out of the question for molinaro to say we should concentrate on offence.

And to who do you attribute our strong defence?  Could it potentially be the new manager who is picking the squad?  So maybe, just maybe, our defence isn't a problem because the manager might have a clue as to what he is doing?

Also, we didn't have trouble scoring goals against Dominica.  Or against Puerto Rico or St. Lucia or St. Kitts or Jamaica last year.  If you are going to just treat each and every game as of equal importance, then it doesn't hold water.  Also, we have scored 17 goals in our last 14 games.  So, I don't think we have trouble scoring goals every game.

And to who do you attribute our strong defence?  Could it potentially be the new manager who is picking the squad?  So maybe, just maybe, our defence isn't a problem because the manager might have a clue as to what he is doing?

Also, we didn't have trouble scoring goals against Dominica.  Or against Puerto Rico or St. Lucia or St. Kitts or Jamaica last year.  If you are going to just treat each and every game as of equal importance, then it doesn't hold water.  Also, we have scored 17 goals in our last 14 games.  So, I don't think we have trouble scoring goals every game.

no question floro has instilled strong defensive tactics and "pressuring" I don't think anybody here would deny that. Our defensive setup however was in better shape than our scoring prior to Floro taking over, which is what we still need to address.

Just saying even before Floro, defence hasn't been an issue. Scoring against mid to top tier Concacaf opposition has been.

So scoring has been MORE of an issue than Defense across all games the past 2 cycles.

Ps. I would argue that we still did have trouble scoring against Dominica. A team of our caliber should have put away more chances. Especially that away leg in Dominica.

- Apparently Teibert is one of Canada's most dangerous attacking youngsters.  I love the guy to death, but I prefer his defensive game to his offensive game.

Really? My impression was that (ever since his move inside) he has been quite good at quick, short passing/distribution, which a much needed skill for us. Admittedly, that's based on seeing very little playing time (and much of it from internet feeds with pop-up ads covering half my screen).  :-)  Anyway - not questioning your comment, so much as my initial impression. I need to watch him more closely, going forward. Cheers!

Molinaro is such a trash reporter, I can't believe in this country we don't have someone better than him.  The guy spends more time on twitter talking about how classy he is and how into cooking and jazz he is than reporting on football.  And when he does show up to do reports he's in a bowling shirt looking like a slob anyhow, keep it classy John.. I'm sure he'd get all dressed up and pull out his Italian-English dictionary if the Bianconeri were in town.    

I wonder what he does all day?  His articles are clearly 20 minute jobs.  As BlackOps said, how about some real insight and questions as to what the specific attributes are that Bekker has... another nice question could have been "what would you like to see Osorio add/do in order to get a call back to the team?" even if Floro isn't available have your "former MNT" source tell you.

Anything other than "Osorio has played more minutes, therefore deserves to be called" and then somehow he brings our goalless streak into this article... HINT JOHN: Osorio has ZERO goals for Canada at any level and just one this season... clearly not the answer to our woes anyhow so it's irrelevant to this article.     

Quotes from Herculez Gomez?  Seriously?  The guy has been here a couple weeks and apparently he knows our pool inside and out.

I like it let's bash actual soccer reporters who actual give a crap about our national team, really. No one in the media  cares about this Canada Belize WC qualifying series. They had like 3 reporters in the conference call 3 lol! If the manager of the Canadian team in the recent kids Little World series  held a conference call he would surely have more than 3 reporters. But we come out here and bash a reporter who actually gives a shit!

Molinaro is such a trash reporter, I can't believe in this country we don't have someone better than him.  The guy spends more time on twitter talking about how classy he is and how into cooking and jazz he is than reporting on football.  And when he does show up to do reports he's in a bowling shirt looking like a slob anyhow, keep it classy John.. I'm sure he'd get all dressed up and pull out his Italian-English dictionary if the Bianconeri were in town.    

I wonder what he does all day?  His articles are clearly 20 minute jobs.  As BlackOps said, how about some real insight and questions as to what the specific attributes are that Bekker has... another nice question could have been "what would you like to see Osorio add/do in order to get a call back to the team?" even if Floro isn't available have your "former MNT" source tell you.

Anything other than "Osorio has played more minutes, therefore deserves to be called" and then somehow he brings our goalless streak into this article... HINT JOHN: Osorio has ZERO goals for Canada at any level and just one this season... clearly not the answer to our woes anyhow so it's irrelevant to this article.     

Quotes from Herculez Gomez?  Seriously?  The guy has been here a couple weeks and apparently he knows our pool inside and out.

Are goals the only thing that matters to you? Look at his assists buddy. We need creative and pass accurate players to help link up the strikers and our midfield. Having Osorio at Cam will definitly give our strikers a lot better service than they recieved in the Gold Cup.

Are goals the only thing that matters to you? Look at his assists buddy. We need creative and pass accurate players to help link up the strikers and our midfield. Having Osorio at Cam will definitly give our strikers a lot better service than they recieved in the Gold Cup.

Possibly, but Floro thinks (and I do, too) that Hutchinson and Johnson can do that job better.

GEEESHHH!!! What a load of DOOM and GLOOM in here,  Is there no positives to look forward too?  I am pumped to see WILL JOHNSON back in CDN colors after almost 2 years.  I am super excited to see if Hutch and Johnson can provide some service to LARIN and TESHO and maybe we drop 4-5 on Belize.  I am ecstatic that Borjan is back.  I am anticipating seeing Gasparatto, Adegube and Petrasso maybe getting their first caps.  I dont remember seeing such a sh*tstorm over 1 guy getting picked over another.  Especially when neither has played very well for canada.  Cant wait for the game!!

I side with 1996 on this one. Don't think it's particularly fair to trash Molinaro. I certainly don't agree with all his points or perspectives but he is one of the few reporters in this country that takes an honest interest in the national team. I wouldn't object if there was a rebuttal saying it's his job or he's compensated for it but how many reporters do we really have that take time to get in on conference calls and comment/provide insight and opinion on the national team? Probably a handful. And as a result due to the lack of media attention/interest many of our questions or talking points on this forum are not addressed. Many of us want more info on the national teams and points we bring up on this forum to be addressed and he does bring attention to that. Already this week he has brought attention via Twitter/Sportsnet website on issues that have been talked about at length on this forum like Bekker inclusion/Osorio snub, attendance numbers, and Will Johnsons commitment to the national team (read on Twitter story coming later today).

Archived