Your 23-Man Roster for Belize series.

Hawkguy

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They said that about Owen Hargraeves when he was 20 and at Bayern Munich. He'd never make the senior squad, he'd never make the English squad.... as unlikely as it is for Owen it's just as unlikely for Bustos.

Hargreaves started in the Champions League Final at 20 years old as Bayern won so he was already in the senior squad at Bayern and actually broke in at 19 earlier that season.  Meanwhile Bustos is trying to get minutes with Vancouver in MLS.  

Mmm, wonder if anyone here has actually watched Bustos play. He is a sparky run-at-defenders mid, with a low centre of gravity and quickness in bursts. Seems to have a decent handle on the ball. Typical of most of our better PanAm squad or U-20s, young and confident but very inexperienced. Tactically still naive. Works well with other more technical players like Blasco on the Caps USL squad. I would love to see him play a bit more, I mean in person, only way to get a real idea. 

That said, I don't think you get anything more with Bustos than you would with Alemán, I'd say they are similar. For me neither is close to being serious CMNT starting material.

Comparing Bustos with Aleman, in terms of talent I believe they are more or less equal. In terms of fooball IQ I believe Bustos is better than Aleman. However, last time I saw Aleman on the field was 2 years ago in the GC with Collin Miller, probably my references aren't good anymore (hope Aleman has improved).

Some updates on the roster from Squizz and Molinaro: 

"Floro says “the only reason” he didn’t call Osorio is that Hutchinson and Johnson are both healthy and ready to play." (https://twitter.com/DanielSquizzato/status/638780424546873344)

"Floro says Atiba and Johnson were fit--that's why he didn't pick Osorio. Also said he believes in Bekker-that's why he picked him." (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/638776688713814017)

Some updates on the roster from Squizz and Molinaro:

"Floro says “the only reason” he didn’t call Osorio is that Hutchinson and Johnson are both healthy and ready to play." (https://twitter.com/DanielSquizzato/status/638780424546873344)

"Floro says Atiba and Johnson were fit--that's why he didn't pick Osorio. Also said he believes in Bekker-that's why he picked him." (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/638776688713814017)

Oh nooooo! This means that Bekker starts right?

But doesnt believe in Oso?

I guess tfc fc dallas and mtl have made mistakes with bekker.

Bekker has been (sometimes unjustly) made out to be a whipping boy (guilty as charged), and I think mtl in partucular have made a mistake by not giving him a chance. Fcd and tfc? Well, he did get chances with both and while he never excelled, he was never an abomination. What was is, 30 league appearances with tfc in two seasons and 8 with dallas in half a season? those are not exactly terrible numbers. Take away the fact that he went 3rd overall and we'd probably be happy that we have a 24/25 year old depth guy in the pool with that profile.

Really want to know if him and Osorio are vying for the same spot though. Chances are you'd think so.

Osorio might actually have something to offer as a LW in the formation that Floro is currently offering in the future. Akindele wasn't particularly impressive in the games he played and he seemed to run out of gas easily, might be a spot to try him as he's very been effective for TFC in that position, but at that point he is competing directly against Tissot and that's a tough one as they both bring a lot to the table[/quote

I agree that Akindele did not impress at GC and I don't think he is a starter in this team, except in the minnow rounds. I would rather see Tissot or Issey start there this time.

Since JDG has been added.....

-------------------------------Larin----------------------------

Akindele--Hutchinson--Johnson-------Ricketts

--------------------------de Guzman-----------------------

De Jong------Straith-------Edgar--------Ledgewood

-------------------------------Borjan-----------------------------

Teibert for Johnson

Piette for de Guzman

Issey for Ricketts

What I expect if deguz is healthy but I don't think betting against Bekker is wise. Maybe he is in there as a sub for Johnson instead of Teibert.

Since JDG has been added.....

-------------------------------Larin----------------------------

Akindele--Hutchinson--Johnson-------Ricketts

--------------------------de Guzman-----------------------

De Jong------Straith-------Edgar--------Ledgewood

-------------------------------Borjan-----------------------------

Teibert for Johnson

Piette for de Guzman

Issey for Ricketts

What I expect if deguz is healthy but I don't think betting against Bekker is wise. Maybe he is in there as a sub for Johnson instead of Teibert.

I agree. I hope we are both wrong and see Issey out there instead of Ricketts.

Hilarious that TFC fans are crying bias since if it weren't for their extremely rose coloured glasses this thread would never have been hijacked into an Osorio love-in. 

As I see it Osorio had a very mediocre game vs. Costa Rica, last time out, and was dissappointing.

Re: mediocre performances, if Floro was to not call players back because of mediocre performances in the Gold Cup, there should only be about 4 players from the Gold Cup squad picked for this series - Stamatopolous, Edgar, Jakovic and Straith would be the ones that could have been said to have played well in my view. Others played okay if unspectactular, while a number of players were poor & certainly performed less effectively than Osorio did (despite having more chances to play) and have been called back into the team regardless.

Re: mediocre performances, if Floro was to not call players back because of mediocre performances in the Gold Cup, there should only be about 4 players from the Gold Cup squad picked for this series - Stamatopolous, Edgar, Jakovic and Straith would be the ones that could have been said to have played well in my view. Others played okay if unspectactular, while a number of players were poor & certainly performed less effectively than Osorio did (despite having more chances to play) and have been called back into the team regardless.

Thanks, that is exactly the reason I don't think there would be reason to  complain if any of those 7-8 players were not called now. Thing is, I can think of only one player posters here would be complaining about if left off with equal zeal (Larin) which suggests whining about Osorio is out of place. 

Just spent the last hour reading through the Osorio love fest here as if he was Messi. With Bekker hardly getting any play time yes it's a no brainer why people here are crying for Osorio. If that is the case then just think - what does that say? I too saw the poor reaction when getting sub off. Could it be that Osorio is being grounded for his poor attitude and bringing a bad morale to the squad? It's possible. We don't know what else could've been said on the bench or the locker room. Why should Floro tolerate dissent? Don't like it? Wanna be a shittt disturber then F off! About Bekker now. Try to be in his shoes. You're not playing and get the call for the National team. What would you do? What would be your attitude and work ethic? I can only suspect Bekker is working his butt off and trying to do all he can to please the boss. How about Floro - and his mentality? He has a player not playing that he sees potential in. Hmmm Bekker is desperate. He'll do anything I tell him. He'll give me all he can cause he's hungry. Floro is using Bekker to his max. Now the fact that Bek's keeps shittting the bed and gets on the field still makes me scratch my head but with Bek's Floro has a dedicated hungry and loyal servant.

I don't get why it's so difficult for you to understand why fans are "whining" about Osorio?

People like this player. He is 23 years old and playing (well) with one of the better teams in MLS and has more or less held down a place in the starting 11 for 3 years. He is dynamic and contributes to his team offensively and seemlessly blends into a front 6 that contains some of the leagues best players (Bradley, Altidore, Giovinco, Cheryou).

Has he been dynamite for the national team? No, but who has? Larin has been hot and cold, as has Akindele. Teibert has been subpar (but arguably better than Osorio), Hutchinson has been the star as expected but it's not like he's been winning us games singlehandedly.

As long as he continues to do well at his club, people are going to want him to keep getting chances with the national team. This is normal. Who are you to determine whether whining about Osorio is out of place or not? If you have an issue with people crying for him (or any player) to be included, perhaps you're the one who has a problem, not the rest of the fanbase.

For the record, I wanted to see Osorio but I acknowledge it is not the end of the world that he's been left off. As good as he's been in MLS, he's still behind Hutchinson and Johnson and I think you'll find a hard time finding a disagreement amongst the "whiners".

Anyways, Osorio will get his chance again and will play a role at some point in qualifiers, whether it be from the bench or in the starting 11. I'm glad we have him in our pool. Solid player.

Just spent the last hour reading through the Osorio love fest here as if he was Messi. With Bekker hardly getting any play time yes it's a no brainer why people here are crying for Osorio. If that is the case then just think - what does that say? I too saw the poor reaction when getting sub off. Could it be that Osorio is being grounded for his poor attitude and bringing a bad morale to the squad? It's possible. We don't know what else could've been said on the bench or the locker room. Why should Floro tolerate dissent? Don't like it? Wanna be a shittt disturber then F off! About Bekker now. Try to be in his shoes. You're not playing and get the call for the National team. What would you do? What would be your attitude and work ethic? I can only suspect Bekker is working his butt off and trying to do all he can to please the boss. How about Floro - and his mentality? He has a player not playing that he sees potential in. Hmmm Bekker is desperate. He'll do anything I tell him. He'll give me all he can cause he's hungry. Floro is using Bekker to his max. Now the fact that Bek's keeps shittting the bed and gets on the field still makes me scratch my head but with Bek's Floro has a dedicated hungry and loyal servant.

Great post.

Nobody is mistaking Osorio for Messi and it is possible his poor reaction to getting subbed played a role.

Love the logic behind Bekker's call. Great points there.

Hey I agree with everybody that Osorio should be on the squad he has talent and performing better then Bek's but in the end it's all subjective and politics and it's Floro who has the say. You can be having a killer season but if you're going to have a negative attitude, try to divide the team and not buy in or not work hard or try to undermine the boss then don't be surprised if you don't get a call.

Hey I agree with everybody that Osorio should be on the squad he has talent and performing better then Bek's but in the end it's all subjective and politics and it's Floro who has the say. You can be having a killer season but if you're going to have a negative attitude, try to divide the team and not buy in or not work hard or try to undermine the boss then don't be surprised if you don't get a call.

I don't think Osorio did all those things. Maybe make a scene after being subbed sure.

Archived