Your 23-Man Roster for Belize series.

Hawkguy

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it let's bash actual soccer reporters who actual give a crap about our national team, really. No one in the media  cares about this Canada Belize WC qualifying series. They had like 3 reporters in the conference call 3 lol! If the manager of the Canadian team in the recent kids Little World series  held a conference call he would surely have more than 3 reporters. But we come out here and bash a reporter who actually gives a shit!

I side with 1996 on this one. Don't think it's particularly fair to trash Molinaro. I certainly don't agree with all his points or perspectives but he is one of the few reporters in this country that takes an honest interest in the national team. I wouldn't object if there was a rebuttal saying it's his job or he's compensated for it but how many reporters do we really have that take time to get in on conference calls and comment/provide insight and opinion on the national team? Probably a handful. And as a result due to the lack of media attention/interest many of our questions or talking points on this forum are not addressed. Many of us want more info on the national teams and points we bring up on this forum to be addressed and he does bring attention to that. Already this week he has brought attention via Twitter/Sportsnet website on issues that have been talked about at length on this forum like Bekker inclusion/Osorio snub, attendance numbers, and Will Johnsons commitment to the national team (read on Twitter story coming later today).

Really?  You really think that article was written by someone who genuinely takes an interest in Canadian soccer and not by someone looking for something controversial and cribbed most of his facts from a message board?

If he were genuinely interested, he might've made a more reasoned argument about why Osorio should've been included.  Maybe talk about the formation and maybe mention that Osorio can play both in the middle and out wide, if on the off chance that he (or Bekker) would even start.  Or maybe concede that Bekker only started over Osorio once and when Osorio got his chance later in the GC, the team still didn't score.  However it's hard to do that when you've got insight from Herculez Gomez and other caustic soundbites and you have a 500 word limit.

Oh how I miss the days of Neil Davidson.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/jonathan-osorio-canada-belize-benito-floro-tfc-toronto-fc-mls-major-league-soccer-world-cup/

Molinaro now jumping in on the Osorio omission vs Bekker selection and bashing Bekker by adding this particular comment:

As one former national team player and noted Canadian soccer insider recently told Sportsnet: “Bekker is simply not good enough at this level, be it in MLS or for Canada. He hasn’t significantly progressed since his college days.”

That's a pretty harsh thing to say from a former Cdn nat player - wonder who said that - Forrest?

Yes it's a little strange that one of the best Cdn talent in MLS is not called up. But does this justify throwing someone under the bus? Is that Bekkers fault? Do we expect Bekker to say " I don't deserve it, I decline the call, and Osorio should take my place. " unlikely.

Also what's with the hate on Bekker all of a sudden? Yeah he was awful and pretty passive at the GC but three years ago Toronto and media were all goo goo for this guy like he was the next best thing and now they're trashing him. What's with this fallout?

Anyways this whole Osorio not getting picked to go against BELIZE affair reminds me of the Bernier fiasco in Montreal. Everyone there is upset as to why he doesn't play ahead of Donadel and Mallace. I always said the coach must have a valid reason, you'd hope, having the interest of the team first.

All I'm saying is that we, the fans, don't know what goes on inside the heads of coaches and we don't see or hear what goes on in training sessions or locker rooms. Obviously the reason why he's not on the team is because of Floro chose not to pick him for some reason. Why that is we don't know except what he said which was Johnson and Hutch are in. Make what you want of it - cause all what we say is speculative. Does Floro have a good reason not to pick him or is he being a krusty fart that has a grudge who knows! Maybe John instead of complaining should do more investigating and tell us why that is since he is the journalist with sources and access to finding out the truth to it?

I don't think that's harsh at all. This is a results based business and he has produced results.

As for the former MNT player who made the comment I bet it's De Vos. He made a couple comments about the situation during the MTL v TFC game a couple weeks ago.

Props to Molinaro for writing about Canada Soccer, but I mean that's his job.  I don't think that means he actually cares about our national team.  Has anyone ever heard him reference Canada Soccer from before he started writing about it?  No, it's his gig and he started watching because he's paid to just like Kurt Larson.  He seems like one of those "I told you so" types who is almost happy to see us fail.  Just read his opening for the article... it's one sentence separated from the rest:

"There is a long list of reasons why Canada likely won’t qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia."

I mean there hasn't been enough negativity in the media about our national team, let's state an obvious fact and sh*t on our coach and players that were called.  How about some focus on the 20 year old kids we've called who are attached to clubs like Rangers and QPR?  Or that guy that plays midfield for one of the bigger clubs in Europe?  No, let's focus a whole 500 words on a quote by a new TFC striker, an anonymous source etc. about a backup midfielder selection.  Awesome press for us.

I don't think that's harsh at all. This is a results based business and he has produced results.

As for the former MNT player who made the comment I bet it's De Vos. He made a couple comments about the situation during the MTL v TFC game a couple weeks ago.

De Vos works for TSN, can't see him being listed as a Sportsnet insider.

Bekker also plays a style that the average Canadian following football doesn't always fully appreciate. He doesn't run around and doesn't seem to have any physical advantages. You might not see him in a match for a while. Instead, he relies on his technique and quick touches. While too many of our players dwell on the ball and lose possession easily. Bekker is the type of player many Europeans and most South Americans favour and appreciate more. 

Nobody on this board or their MLS teams were pumping up players like Tissot or Ouimette. Now we have some people on this board venting about Tissot's exclusion. So, i'll trust Floro's decision for now. Osorio being left out can also spur him to elevate his game so that he becomes a lock to be picked after Hutch & Will. 

But there actually is a long list of reasons why Canada will not make the 2018 World Cup. Most notably the lack of any shred of top end talent on the team, save for arguably Hutchinson. 

What are the reasons why Canada WILL make the 2018 World Cup? Because I know of none of these reasons. Hell, Canada will be lucky to win more than 1 game in the next round in my opinion. 

What are the reasons why Canada WILL make the 2018 World Cup? Because I know of none of these reasons. Hell, Canada will be lucky to win more than 1 game in the next round in my opinion. 

The reasons Canada will make it to the World Cup are: we're really not that bad.

Honduras made it in 2010 and 2014, and Trinidad and Tobago made in 2006 and we aren't that much worse then they are.

A reminder that, three days before a World Cup qualifier, the manager of our national team held a media call and only three reporters in the country were there to ask him  questions. John Molinaro was one of them.

Sure.  However another reminder that, just hours (maybe singular) prior to a Gold Cup game with El Salvador, De Guzman failed a fitness test and only a handful of midfielders were available to replace him.  Kyle Bekker was one of them.

It's a little disingenuous to write an article blasting a National Team's manager and the skills of one of his preferred players but then be absolved of all ensuing criticism.

The reasons Canada will make it to the World Cup are: we're really not that bad.

Honduras made it in 2010 and 2014, and Trinidad and Tobago made in 2006 and we aren't that much worse then they are.

+1 

Or how about this reason: It's football, anything can happen.  We control our destiny here, literally anything could happen.  We don't need one of our 3 media personalities in the country unreasonably starting an article with such a negative sentence, it's no secret to the uninformed reader that we aren't a top soccer nation that is a favourite to qualify, thanks for the insight John.  This region is competitive as the last Gold Cup just showed us... outside of the USA and Mexico not one team in the region is assured a spot, not even Costa Rica.  

I just watched Iceland beat the Dutch away and Malta nearly draw Italy away.  I refuse to be told that this is doom and gloom.  We don't have the Dutch or Italy in our group, we have Mexico, El Salvador and Honduras.  Sure Central America is tough but so is coming to Canada since last cycle. 

If I was in media like John I would be doing everything I can to erradicate this notion amongst the public that we suck. I genuinely believe we are not that far away. I would always present the case of why it's possible, hell I do that anyways whenever I get the chance to talk to people about our team.

I think Squizz does a pretty good job of this. C'mon John, now let's see what you got.

But there actually is a long list of reasons why Canada will not make the 2018 World Cup. Most notably the lack of any shred of top end talent on the team, save for arguably Hutchinson. 

Reasons we will:

1. Besides the USA and Mexico. The other nations player pools aren't that much better than ours.

2.We will be getting point away due to Floro's extremely defensive tactics.

3.If we do make it to the hex(its not the hardest nor the easiest) we will be selling out crowds in Toronto. So many casual fans will come in to support our team since it is the first time we have been at that stage in how long?We will perform a lot better at home with the Canadian players knowing they have Canada watching and behind their backs.

Wow let's all be nice let's not criticize the national team please Molinaro is a writer who has every right to criticize, when the day comes that this national team actually accomplishes something he will note it I'm sure, it's a results business like someone mentioned earlier, this national team unfortunately has accomplished nothing since the last time the Hex was made or the Gold Cup was won or since some of the better performances they had in some of the other Gold Cups in previous years, but it's been a very long time since this team has done anything, and the last Gold Cup was very poor, I mean they did not score a goal for heavens sake, so people are going come on this board and  criticize a writer for not writing nice things about this team, get some meaningful  results first and then you will see some nice articles, but before that happens good for the Molinaros of the world for not always writing nice things.

Archived