Scott Arfield

wonder if we'll get more insight from the man himself as to why he retired from CanMNT..

"OneSoccer personalities Andi Petrillo (2022 Canadian Screen award for Best Sports Host) and Oliver Platt will be onsite in both Austria and Slovakia to cover those match for Canadian viewers, while former CanMNT players Scott Arfield and Patrice Bernier will provide expert analysis from the OneSoccer studios in Toronto. Play-by-play commentary will be offered in both English and French."

https://mediaprocanada.tv/en/news/OneSoccer_to_show_live_exclusive_coverage_of_three_CanMNT_matches_ahead_of_FIFA_World_Cup

Edited by pod818

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

Dunfield is on the CanMNT staff now.

It's the reason we get Brennan doing commentary 

That’s right. It’s not just knowing he’s in the broadcast team, but he flew over to be in Toronto for this. That’s the part that gets to me according to this report. Now maybe he’ll just be in Scotland via zoom or something but I had to read that twice 

Just now, frmr said:

I don't think you can fault OneSoccer, I just think it's strange that he would be willing to do media but not play, when he's still better than most of our midfield.

I just think OneSoccer should wait until he actually gives his reasoning or retires. Otherwise there’s questions. 

How’s it going to look optic wise when/if the studio/fans are decrying the lack of a central midfielder? There’s hundreds of former professionals you could get to do the same job for now. 

10 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

There's only one thing that's bizarre here and it's delusional fans that won't let things go.

I disagree. The fact that hes travelling to toronto makes this bizarre. Even more so that our mid is so thin. 

thought travel was one of the reasons he retired. He could play this window and world cup and retire again. 

this curveball is truly bizarre 

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It is strange, I hope its not just clickbait for them and a payday for him. 

Some genuine answers would be appreciated.

Canada soccer revenues going to Onesoccer that should be going to the players are going to pay Arfield as a commentator…. Joking…. I think 

Edited by king1010

I'm actually annoyed Arfield will be on the broadcast. As @frmrsaid, he is still playing at a very high level and could easily help this team. Him flying all the way to Toronto just to provide commentary feels like salt in the wounds. 

Edit: This one is really bothering me, so Arfield better be planning some kind of surprise comeback or I'll take his appearance on OS as an insult more than anything else. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

Nothing bizarre about this. He’s a recent captain of the team, has a lot of personal insight into the staff and players so it makes a lot of sense to get him involved. I look forward to hearing him.

again, this is further evidence that there is no grand conspiracy or bad blood. He simply retired due to other commitments and not having the desire to play international football any longer. Nothing wrong with that. 

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Well, I guess this puts to bed any speculation that he may come back for Qatar.   

Yeah. Almost feels like overcommunication that he will very much not be there to contribute, despite all the issues with our central midfield. Thanks, Scotty. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

23 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Nothing bizarre about this. He’s a recent captain of the team, has a lot of personal insight into the staff and players so it makes a lot of sense to get him involved. I look forward to hearing him.

again, this is further evidence that there is no grand conspiracy or bad blood. He simply retired due to other commitments and not having the desire to play international football any longer. Nothing wrong with that. 

I do not look forward to hearing him and his personal insight into our weak midfield which he could he directly helping :(