Hanson Boakai

17 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

[huh...reads up on where that team stands in Serie D...finds out there are 162 teams in D4 in Italy..] 

sounds like amateur soccer 

has long has he getting full 90 reguarly is good for his development 

On 25/7/2017 at 4:14 PM, jpg75 said:

Yes, Serie D is a huge division with age eligibility rules - each team requires certain kids aged 17, 18 etc. It's probably alot like Spanish 4th tier in level of play.

In Spain it would in fact be anywhere from semi-amateur to semi-pro, unless the team has more ambitions and money and can pay a salary. I'd agree the level would be similar, though I do not know. In Spain there is no provision for some younger aged players in fourth tier, if it is so in Italy I like the model, otherwise you are not developing, just signing experienced lower tier journeymen.

I am personally convinced that he should have been able to find a team in a third tier Italy or Spain, being young enough to incite interest. What is his passport status, does he have EU eligibility?

Edit: in fact Serie D has less teams than Spanish 4th tier, so should be more competitive, in principle. I also see that this team came fourth last season, so would have played a promotion playoff to promote to Serie C, is that right (Italy football followers?). Another factor that seems positive is that the club is relatively new, an alliance of two others, so seems to be on the right path. V small stadium however, it says capacity 1000. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

18 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Jeffrey, Italian clubs do not have reserve sides so the top prospects will be loaned out to lower league clubs. That increases the talent level, but the age quotas reduce the competitiveness of Serie D.

Well I accept the comparison in Italy's favour.

In Spain there are 17 divisions in fourth tier, against 9 in Italy. So double the teams. In principle, then, this should be as good and even better than where Piette was last year, or Fisk, or Aparicio and Misik this past season, comparing with 4th tier Spain. We also have Miki Cantave in 4th tier Spain, and Kadr at Leganés. Meaning that it seems low, but it is a level that does enable a player to hold up. We had players at this level on our team in Qatar a few months ago. 

As long as he plays, and the team stays sharp, it should be fine for him. 

On 7/26/2017 at 11:57 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well I accept the comparison in Italy's favour.

In Spain there are 17 divisions in fourth tier, against 9 in Italy. So double the teams. In principle, then, this should be as good and even better than where Piette was last year, or Fisk, or Aparicio and Misik this past season, comparing with 4th tier Spain. We also have Miki Cantave in 4th tier Spain, and Kadr at Leganés. Meaning that it seems low, but it is a level that does enable a player to hold up. We had players at this level on our team in Qatar a few months ago. 

As long as he plays, and the team stays sharp, it should be fine for him. 

Piette plays in the spanish 3rd division which has mostly pro teams and many have good local support. The third tier of spain is also where all the big LaLiga 2nd teams play so lots of great young players as competition. This is definitely at a lower level than that.  

7 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Piette plays in the spanish 3rd division which has mostly pro teams and many have good local support. The third tier of spain is also where all the big LaLiga 2nd teams play so lots of great young players as competition. This is definitely at a lower level than that.  

It is clarified through the thread, though maybe a bit dispersedly. 

What I was saying is that Piette was in 4th tier before this past season, and he played for Canada. Same level as Hanson now.

Hanson is playing in a similar tier as a lot of players who we have used both for senior and u-23, u-20 level teams for Canada, we have found it good enough for others, we should not downplay it for him. All those mentioned (Fisk, Aparicio, Misik, Cantave, now Lebre, Abdellaoui) are competent enough players, so if Hanson is in that group, let's take it for what it is.

Another point: as was mentioned, in Italy the major clubs loan out their young players as they do not have B teams, so they are spread out in lower tiers. You do play against them. That is not too different from every now and then playing against full B teams of top flight clubs in La Liga. BTW, you can't exagerrate this. in Spain there are B teams of top flight clubs in many tiers, in 2nd (1 team), 3rd (9 teams), but the rest are in 4th and even 5th tier. 

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

As of right now it doesn't seem to be official, so that's why i said if he had found a club already. 

I read way before about him being linked with the Serie D Team

http://caronnese.com/2017/07/19/la-caronnese-si-rifa-il-look-5-calciatori-confermati-e-14-nuovi-arrivi/

They say he's signed, though the name is here a bit altered!

Actually not bad considering he was going nowhere fast in the last little while, remember it's still Italy one of the top playing soccer countries in the world. It's still an ok level, some people on here are making it sound as if it is an amateur league which it is not, a good move actually, and then just on a enjoyment of life level, nothing wrong with living a year or two in Italy , I wish I was young again and had a chance to play soccer in Italy for a season or two.

• 2 weeks later...