Hanson Boakai

16 years old from the looks of it, which is pretty crazy.

Actually pretty insane. If this happened 5 years ago I think the Vees would be going nuts but it shows you the talent coming up in this country when this is a kinda meh story.

Actually pretty insane. If this happened 5 years ago I think the Vees would be going nuts but it shows you the talent coming up in this country when this is a kinda meh story.

The FC Edmonton Canadian Revolution.

Good to hear a review from someone who has seen him in person. I have only watched him with our U17 team and I thought he was our best offensive player. I am pretty excited about this guy and it is great he is already making his debut in the NASL. It is great he is getting such an early start. I hope he can stay with FCE for a few years and get a lot of minutes in. My hope then would be for him to move up to the MLS level as an 18 year old with real game experience to his credit. Fingers crossed though because a lot can happen between now and then. Look at Lindsay.

Good to hear a review from someone who has seen him in person. I have only watched him with our U17 team and I thought he was our best offensive player. I am pretty excited about this guy and it is great he is already making his debut in the NASL. It is great he is getting such an early start. I hope he can stay with FCE for a few years and get a lot of minutes in. My hope then would be for him to move up to the MLS level as an 18 year old with real game experience to his credit. Fingers crossed though because a lot can happen between now and then. Look at Lindsay.

It's beautiful, even if we miss a game, they are broadcasting all home games on The Score now!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Call me a guy that isn't worldly, but why would he be learning Dutch, not German? That far in the west of Germany, that close to Netherlands, I can understand that the language would start mixing into Dutch, but primarily you'd think German would still be the more useful to learn of the two?

Call me a guy that isn't worldly, but why would he be learning Dutch, not German? That far in the west of Germany, that close to Netherlands, I can understand that the language would start mixing into Dutch, but primarily you'd think German would still be the more useful to learn of the two?

He doesn't know how to spell Deutsch.

• 1 year later...

I've always got the impression that the kid is really immature.  He's only 18, yes but he's a 3rd year professional time to shape up and get serious.. talent alone won't do it for you especially if you can't even start in NASL with it. 

Here's the full quote from Miller (just after the 21 minute mark):

"People keep ranting and raving about Hanson, but he's still very immature. He does some stupid things off the field that drive me crazy, and you know I'm not going to defend him any more. And that was one of the reasons why I sent him home also. Not just because he wasn't fit, but because some of his behaviour off the field is not acceptable. I'm not a babysitter. I told him and I told the rest of the group that I'm not a babysitter, guys got to group up and show maturity off the field as well as on the field. There's no questioning the young man's ability, he's arguably one of the most talented players, but I have a full squad, 25, 26 players to look after and I'm not about to be a babysitter any more."

And the link to the show:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/soccer-sunday-april-12th-1.254928

Here's the full quote from Miller (just after the 21 minute mark):

"People keep ranting and raving about Hanson, but he's still very immature. He does some stupid things off the field that drive me crazy, and you know I'm not going to defend him any more. And that was one of the reasons why I sent him home also. Not just because he wasn't fit, but because some of his behaviour off the field is not acceptable. I'm not a babysitter. I told him and I told the rest of the group that I'm not a babysitter, guys got to group up and show maturity off the field as well as on the field. There's no questioning the young man's ability, he's arguably one of the most talented players, but I have a full squad, 25, 26 players to look after and I'm not about to be a babysitter any more."

And the link to the show:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/soccer-sunday-april-12th-1.254928

Disappointing to hear. From that age group you have guys like Hamilton and Froese who have been keeping their heads down and working their butts off to get better.

You know, Colin Miller gets a lot of shit on this board, but I'm glad he's taking this head-on. Boakai could be a really talented player; in fact he's already a good NASL player. It must be so tempting to let him slide, but instead Colin is sacrificing today and hoping it pays off years from now.