Hanson Boakai

• 3 weeks later...

Google translated a Swedish article "Hanson Boakai is a very talented and promising players . He has been in practice in Bois for a week . - He has shown up very good qualities and are fast, technical and has great game intelligence. Boakai is left-footed and useful as outer as well as inner midfielder offensive . Even Boakais salary in 2016 financed by sponsors."

Sponsors eh.....

52 minutes ago, Steedman said:

So im assuming things were cleared up with FC Edmonton for all of this to happen. Any hear of any details? Glad he's playing again, time to establish himself.

Either that, or FC Edmonton finally realized they weren't going to get much for Boakai.

2 hours ago, yothat said:

does hanson deserve to get called to a U-20 camp now that he's no longer unattached

I don't think he deserves to be called any camps based on the level he is playing at but on the other hand it might be worthwhile to call him up even to a full national team camp just to give him some high level training and a kick in the ass to get his career going again. I think he has shown enough potential in the past to a merit a spot in a larger training camp with a friendly though not at the expense of taking away playing/training time from anyone who is going to play in WCQ matches if we advance to the next round.

Yeah let him first get back on his feet again an start playing and getting notced.

I must say I don't like the way Fc Edmonton has handled this situation. The youth compensation fees were never meant to limit the players chances in finding a new club, but as a protection for young players. If the player wants to make a move (that's his own prerogative) why insist on getting that measly couple K, if you have a better chance of ever making a profit on that player when he succeeds in his career? 

Here's a recent interview on Boakai (in Swedish). http://www.hd.se/2016-08-21/kanadas-messi-trivs-i-landskrona

From the article itself, it sounds like Split were about to sign him, and FC Edmonton were demanding a hefty transfer fee. The word millions is used in the article but there is no context as to what currency the millions are in. From Google Translate:

My agent got in touch with the club after lot of trouble with clubs in Croatia, he said. Having debuted in Edmonton, where he did three seasons, the contract went out and Boakai signed a short term contract with Croatian Dugopolje. When the contract was about to run out wanted another Croatian club to tie him great club Hajduk Split.

- The same day that I would write on the contract Hajduk Split got out that they had to pay a large sum in educational grants to Edmonton. A sum that they did not know and could not afford, says Boakai. From nowhere Edmonton had decided to require the next club in the millions to sign him. After Hajduk Split had to decline, he began to seek other clubs. But it was easier said than done. Each new club he visited had to decline due by the amount of money demanded Edmonton.

On 8/16/2016 at 9:40 PM, yothat said:

Colin Miller is a petty individual. I m sure the club is trying would be better of getting future sell off fess guarnteed.

Miller is being portrayed as the bad guy here, but I honestly think that he has close to zero involvement negotiations between FCE and the clubs that have been interested in Hanson. I imagine this probably occurs between the business (not technical) staff of FCE and these clubs.

It would be great if whatever the barrier to him playing is could get sorted out for the betterment of his career, but at the same time, the Fath's have lost a lot of money, for the betterment of Canadian soccer, so if they would rather get a pay out now on a player they developed, as opposed to some future fee, I can understand their perspective.

Edited by A_Gagne

17 hours ago, shermanator said:

Well, what we do know is that Boakai is gone, and FC Edmonton allegedly received no money for him. Whatever they did, sounds like poor asset management from what had been the best player (or most hyped player) to come from academy.

I don't really understand how you can manage the asset better. He was out of contract and didn't want to re-sign. He couldn't have been transferred prior to his 18th birthday. And the fact that nobody seems to be willing to pay the training compensation shows that there was no market for a transfer fee in the first place.

On 8/16/2016 at 6:40 PM, yothat said:

Colin Miller is a petty individual. I m sure the club is trying would be better of getting future sell off fess guarnteed.

I disagree with this. Colin Miller and FC Edmonton have shown themselves to be fair. Just look how they treated the Eddie Edward situation. They could have held out and tried to get something in return out of Ottawa, but they decided to let him leave. Edward earned that respect and Edmonton did right by him. With all the rumors that were coming out of Edmonton about Boakai's lack of work ethic and commitment as well as primadonna attitude, I have no problem with the club making a lesson of the kid and getting what they deserve.

54 minutes ago, masster said:

I don't really understand how you can manage the asset better. He was out of contract and didn't want to re-sign. He couldn't have been transferred prior to his 18th birthday. And the fact that nobody seems to be willing to pay the training compensation shows that there was no market for a transfer fee in the first place.

There has been talk that the club turned down multiple offers for him in 2014, with actual dollars attached to the transfer. I think @jedinathan can either confirm this, or confirm that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

One of the things operating here is our own collective level of neuroses. We all saw Hanson play very well in the U17WC and the Vs Cup and the expectation was created that he would somewhere between a stellar attacking midfielder and the saviour of Canadian men's soccer. Unfortunately fantastic 16/17 yr old prospects don't often don't pan out, but our collective angst due to the expectation clouds our analysis and makes us play the blame game. FCE is a shoddy org who can't manage their player assets, Colin Miller is pigheaded of vindictive or both, and Hanson is an uncommitted, egomaniacal, flake of a player ... All could be true, or none. But either way, Hanson still might not have come good (or he might yet) and of those who know the truth of FCE, Miller, or Hanson, few or none post on this forum. 

So maybe it's time for us all to find some chill in regards to Boakai. 

9 hours ago, shermanator said:

There has been talk that the club turned down multiple offers for him in 2014, with actual dollars attached to the transfer. I think @jedinathan can either confirm this, or confirm that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Yep. Actually was in 2013 I think... Basically the thought at the club wasn't to restrict his development, but rather help him grow before getting to a big club where he might sink and disappear. 

I agree with Rob too btw... There's a lot of rumours and speculation that I've heard in respect to Hanson. And there's so many versions that are true to different individuals.... It's just not fair to say that one side is/was right and another was wrong.