Hanson Boakai

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

Now why is that? If Messi can, why can't I?

Obviously Shome is more adult at 18 than Boakai at 20...

It's nothing on Shome's talent, but I didn't expect Shome to be eligible for the SuperDraft. That's why I mentioned him because he was a pro in a league as a teen. And Boakai was and is still at an age where people get drafted in MLS.

Fair enough. 

I do believe Boakai is very naturally talented, it's just that he doesn't seem to get his role in a team. In that regard I rate Shome way above him. But you'r right, he's still young. He needs to play a couple of seasons, even if it is d3 level in Sweden or USL for that matter.

Just now, lazlo_80 said:

i dont follow FCE but didn't Shome get more playing time in one year then Boakai got over his entire time there? That has to say something, right?

You are correct. Shome played 1731 minutes in 2016 whereas Boakai played 639 minutes from 2013-2015. It was pretty obvious early in the season that Miller rated Shome very highly, and Shome ran with the role, and played quite well actually.

Contrast that with Boakai where in 2014, it felt like no matter what Boakai did, he never had the trust of Miller despite performing quite well on the pitch. In 2014 there wasn't a lot out regarding on his discipline issues, but those reports came out in 2015, and Boakai's play on the pitch that year was atrocious. I only saw Boakai play live once - when the FC Edmonton reserves were in Calgary to play Foothills in 2015, and he was half-assing the entire game. And I say this as arguably Boakai's biggest backer a few years ago. Unless he picks up a USL deal this year, he's done.

As an aside, Shome seems to be the only academy product that has really flourished in Edmonton. Roberts has had a half decent career in and out of the lineup, and same with Zebie, but neither at the same level as Shome where you just knew he would be in the lineup game in game out. Wonder what the future holds for both of them. You'd have to think Zebie is gone when he contract is up at the end of 2017 (thought I read he wanted to try Europe after the contract was done). Meanwhile after being firmly stapled to the bench in the spring season, Roberts started almost every game for the Fury on loan. Not sure what he will do.

On February 17, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Soccerpro said:

I wish him all the best, but think he should have signed in MLS.

He may have been a dud in MLS, too. But I wish he ended up signing for TFC. I think he could have yo-yo'ed to the first team for some minutes on the wing.

3 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

My only experience with Boakai was in the Pan-Am games. He was great. He was ghosting past players from Brazil for much of the first half and than consistently hacked in the second. I still think he has a lot of talent.

Such a waste of talent. He clearly has the talent just not the mindset and especially not the agent and inner circle to positively change that instead of making it worse.

Could he not sign with MLS this way he can be part of the MLS Draft this year. I think some player had done this in the past, but I do not think he got drafted. I can't remember the name, but I do believe it was recent maybe 3 years ago. He could impress some teams and start out in USL obviously until he worked his way up from there. Hopefully he can find his feet somewhere soon, he does have the talent just needs to get a place to grow as a player and young man.

6 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Could he not sign with MLS this way he can be part of the MLS Draft this year. I think some player had done this in the past, but I do not think he got drafted. I can't remember the name, but I do believe it was recent maybe 3 years ago. He could impress some teams and start out in USL obviously until he worked his way up from there. Hopefully he can find his feet somewhere soon, he does have the talent just needs to get a place to grow as a player and young man.

Are you thinking of Janeil Hoilett?

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Albania!?? What's next then: North Korea?

Skenderbeu are a good side (by Albanian standards). They made it to the Champions League playoffs (qualifying) and the Europa League group stage in 2015/16. They were banned from the Champions League this past season.

If you are going to go on trial in Albania, Skenderbeu is the place to go.

27 minutes ago, Toje said:

Skenderbeu are a good side (by Albanian standards). They made it to the Champions League playoffs (qualifying) and the Europa League group stage in 2015/16. They were banned from the Champions League this past season.

If you are going to go on trial in Albania, Skenderbeu is the place to go.

True, but still you'd better not. 

8 hours ago, shermanator said:

Bad flu? He must have actually put in some effort, and his body rejected the idea.

I think if you haven't played the game or don't know players, you won't understand that a cold or flu can be a huge factor, especially if you are in a pre-tournament camp or on trial. Usually a player will just hide it and play, and they'll play underpar. 

I know of one specific case where a CMNT lost a call-up to a major tournament because he was ill in the pre-tournament camp...and did not use it as an excuse.