Hanson Boakai

He played the first half of a friendly yesterday against a 3rd division club.  From a minute-by-minute update I found, it didn't sound like he had a great game.  Two poor crosses in off of free kicks and unsuccessfully took on a defender 1v1 (although the ball bounced onto the foot of a team mate who hit the post on the play).  Tough to tell much from this play-by-play though.

On 2/10/2016 at 11:03 PM, coach_86 said:

It's funny how they're viewed as developing him and want a fee, potentially hindering a guy who was barely given a chance at FCE from playing in Europe. I've found that FCE specifically hype up their academy for developing players when 90% of the guys they've signed to first team contracts have actually gained the bulk of their development through their amateur clubs. I wonder if FCE will be giving his youth clubs a % of that fee for developing him prior to joining FCE. 

No idea if true, but some fans said that if Boakai signs with Split he will cost 90,000 euros.

To say that players like Hanson, Mallen and even Tyson haven't massively benefitted from FC Edmonton is way under-estimating the impact that the club has on them. Jeff Paulus has absolutely nothing but good things to say about players previous coaches, and full on admits that they have a bigger impact on these players than he had.

Where would have a player like Boakai gone if FCEd hadn't taken him into the academy? He had already burnt several bridges, and the Edmonton amateur sides aren't exactly known as a hotbed for scouts.

To use Roberts as an example, looking back, he was a very green in his initial years. His experience with FCEd (particularly playing beside Watson) has grown his game significantly. He's gone from playing through opponents (and quite literally starting a fight, causing the game to be abandoned) to one of the best CB in the league, and a solid contender for the national team.

1 hour ago, jedinathan said:

To say that players like Hanson, Mallen and even Tyson haven't massively benefitted from FC Edmonton is way under-estimating the impact that the club has on them. Jeff Paulus has absolutely nothing but good things to say about players previous coaches, and full on admits that they have a bigger impact on these players than he had.

Where would have a player like Boakai gone if FCEd hadn't taken him into the academy? He had already burnt several bridges, and the Edmonton amateur sides aren't exactly known as a hotbed for scouts.

To use Roberts as an example, looking back, he was a very green in his initial years. His experience with FCEd (particularly playing beside Watson) has grown his game significantly. He's gone from playing through opponents (and quite literally starting a fight, causing the game to be abandoned) to one of the best CB in the league, and a solid contender for the national team.

I don't disagree that FCE has a lot to offer these players. I think for a guy like Mallan it might have been the best thing to happen, but he was also given the opportunity to get in there, get the minutes at a young age and make mistakes. He also had not other option due to citizenship issues, which is the reason it took so long for him to be in the national set up. I remember when he was a red card/OG/Penalty waiting to happen, but the only way to learn from it and grow is getting to play regularly. He is the only academy product that in my opinion has been given that fair chance at FCE. Take Sadi for example, has a great run of 3 consecutive starts and the 4th game when Jonke was back from injury Sadi is back on the bench. Although Hanson's off field antics didn't help either but I know that these kids get frustrated because no matter how they perform they aren't given the regular chance and 75% of the time thats why they're acting out off the pitch.

In regards to Jeff, he's great, runs fantastic sessions but both him and Miller (which in turn becomes FCE as a group) are also just as quick to bash the clubs in Edmonton that have players going elsewhere to play (i.e. Whitecaps, PDL, etc.) There have been threats to players telling them if they leave the academy, or decide to go train with a school academy/club team that Jeff will pick up the phone and ensure they aren't looked at by any post secondary schools in the province. There have been FCE players given exceptions to play both club soccer as well as academy but only for specific clubs within the city due to personal issues between Jeff and other people. And there has been statements made that certain clubs in the city will never have any players scouted from there as long as certain people remain in charge at that club. 

1 hour ago, coach_86 said:

I don't disagree that FCE has a lot to offer these players. I think for a guy like Mallan it might have been the best thing to happen, but he was also given the opportunity to get in there, get the minutes at a young age and make mistakes. He also had not other option due to citizenship issues, which is the reason it took so long for him to be in the national set up. I remember when he was a red card/OG/Penalty waiting to happen, but the only way to learn from it and grow is getting to play regularly. He is the only academy product that in my opinion has been given that fair chance at FCE. Take Sadi for example, has a great run of 3 consecutive starts and the 4th game when Jonke was back from injury Sadi is back on the bench. Although Hanson's off field antics didn't help either but I know that these kids get frustrated because no matter how they perform they aren't given the regular chance and 75% of the time thats why they're acting out off the pitch.

In regards to Jeff, he's great, runs fantastic sessions but both him and Miller (which in turn becomes FCE as a group) are also just as quick to bash the clubs in Edmonton that have players going elsewhere to play (i.e. Whitecaps, PDL, etc.) There have been threats to players telling them if they leave the academy, or decide to go train with a school academy/club team that Jeff will pick up the phone and ensure they aren't looked at by any post secondary schools in the province. There have been FCE players given exceptions to play both club soccer as well as academy but only for specific clubs within the city due to personal issues between Jeff and other people. And there has been statements made that certain clubs in the city will never have any players scouted from there as long as certain people remain in charge at that club. 

From everything I've heard from multiple places, Hanson isn't only showing this attitude in Edmonton. There have been some other clubs and associations that have decided not to give him another look because of his behavior. Roberts is the model player imo, has taken all the input and worked well to become a solid player. Same goes for Allen Zebie in my opinion, who I believe has earned a solid spot in the starting 11 last year.

Sadi has his ups and downs. I'm a fan, but he's had issues in his maturity, and I do think that the Jonke gaff kept him from playing more (especially with Tomi out). Would like to see him more consistently, but with Fordyce having the most goals in club history, and Ameboi not being far behind, he's in a tricky spot. I was very glad to see Sadi resign with the club.

Coaching staff... I don't doubt your info, but I'm not sure what you would rather happen there... I know there are reasons for players going to one club vs another due to the relationship between the FCEd coaching staff and the club that the player might go to. I have never heard Jeff or any other coaching staff "bash" any PDL or MLS club or academy. Quite contrary, I've had personal conversations with Jeff about his relationships with people in those positions. I also can appreciate that there are limits to having a player chose and continue to attend an academy, rather than bouncing from the FCEd academy to a club squad. There's a agreement there that the player should have to live up to.

Not sure how you go from saying that Jeff is "great" to saying some seriously damning things about him either by the way.

9 minutes ago, jedinathan said:

From everything I've heard from multiple places, Hanson isn't only showing this attitude in Edmonton. There have been some other clubs and associations that have decided not to give him another look because of his behavior. Roberts is the model player imo, has taken all the input and worked well to become a solid player. Same goes for Allen Zebie in my opinion, who I believe has earned a solid spot in the starting 11 last year.

Sadi has his ups and downs. I'm a fan, but he's had issues in his maturity, and I do think that the Jonke gaff kept him from playing more (especially with Tomi out). Would like to see him more consistently, but with Fordyce having the most goals in club history, and Ameboi not being far behind, he's in a tricky spot. I was very glad to see Sadi resign with the club.

Coaching staff... I don't doubt your info, but I'm not sure what you would rather happen there... I know there are reasons for players going to one club vs another due to the relationship between the FCEd coaching staff and the club that the player might go to. I have never heard Jeff or any other coaching staff "bash" any PDL or MLS club or academy. Quite contrary, I've had personal conversations with Jeff about his relationships with people in those positions. I also can appreciate that there are limits to having a player chose and continue to attend an academy, rather than bouncing from the FCEd academy to a club squad. There's a agreement there that the player should have to live up to.

Not sure how you go from saying that Jeff is "great" to saying some seriously damning things about him either by the way.

I don't disagree with any of what you say and I'm not in any way bashing Jeff at all. I do think he is great as a coach, developing players and as a person. I have no issue with him at all, and I've actually encouraged players to remain part of FCE instead of leaving that set up. It is unfortunate that they have began to build a reputation of this nature with some folks around the Edmonton. It doesn't change the fact that he has said those things. I'm not saying "damning" stuff about him, I'm just simply repeating things that has said. 

On a different note relating back to Hanson, and knowing that he has had this reputation at many clubs, and even the national set up, do you think that there is that double standard when it comes to the first team players with FCE? I've personally seen it with multiple players that do very similar things to what Hanson has done but you never really hear of it much.

1 minute ago, coach_86 said:

I don't disagree with any of what you say and I'm not in any way bashing Jeff at all. I do think he is great as a coach, developing players and as a person. I have no issue with him at all, and I've actually encouraged players to remain part of FCE instead of leaving that set up. It is unfortunate that they have began to build a reputation of this nature with some folks around the Edmonton. It doesn't change the fact that he has said those things. I'm not saying "damning" stuff about him, I'm just simply repeating things that has said. 

On a different note relating back to Hanson, and knowing that he has had this reputation at many clubs, and even the national set up, do you think that there is that double standard when it comes to the first team players with FCE? I've personally seen it with multiple players that do very similar things to what Hanson has done but you never really hear of it much.

Good to hear. I've not heard any of these things about him or the club before around town.

I think there was a hyper focus from the fans around town/the country on Hanson, and that brought his issues out into the spotlight more than other players.

3 hours ago, jedinathan said:

And now they sign another prospect. You can say all you want about FCE and Paulus, but the fact is they have produced first team players. Not even relevant how many years they were in the academy set-up, cause that woud be the same for, say Ottawa. Where are their home-grown players?

I would like to club to do a review of former academy players and where they are now segment? This would show transparacy as to how well the club is doing developing talent. Some are playing in the ncaa, cis, acac, joined whitecaps academy or trying their hand playing soccer abroad. I read somewhere on twitter bruno zebie is looking for trials abroad. Carlos Patino who played with the academy is playing in the USL.

There are successes and failures in any academy, and FC Edmonton is no different. I think some players have received their fair share of opportunities with the first team while others have not, but I guess you can say that about any player on any team regardless of whether they are an academy product or not.

I think Zebie earned his spot in the starting 11 after last year, and IMO he got a raw deal when the club signed Eckersley. I don't for a second think Colin Miller would have both a backup LB and a backup CB taking up international spots, and you know Miller is stubborn as hell in regards to his giving his star signings (van Oekel, Jones, Jonke) every opportunity to succeed. I also think Jalali got a raw deal in 2015 as he constantly saw the bench in favour of Jonke, despite solid play from him and terrible play from Jonke. I would be shocked, pleasantly of course, if Zebie is the starting LB on April 6.

So, the club signed another academy player, which is great on paper as its a pro contract for a local youth who didn't have one before. But, having said that, the Shome signing doesn't mean anything until he gets an opportunity to show his stuff at the NASL level. If he gets an opportunity, and is poor, fair enough. But if he doesn't get an opportunity to get actual NASL games in, then there really isn't any point to signing him in the first place. Even a half dozen sub appearances would be good enough to satisfy that he is getting an opportunity in my eyes.

Edited by shermanator

I disagree there. Well kinda.

I think that a pro signing is great for an academy player, even if they don't see first team minutes. To me that says that the club views them as potential for coverage during an run of injuries. As it stands, FCEd hasn't done a great job of this, and has stacked up several players in only a few positions. I think that this year is much better spread out, and I know that Miller has gone on record saying that he has at least 2 players for every position. Nothing wrong with that depth there. Really a player just out of the academy SHOULD be a depth signing.
I'm also not sure why a player needs to get actual minutes to "show his stuff". If he's not doing well in practice, then he shouldn't be on the first team.

Zebie can play both wings by the way, so I could see him shifting to the right side.

Now would I LIKE to see academy teams getting first team minutes? Hell ya.

18 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

This will be Hanson's 3rd European trial will it not? If you trial in Europe three times and you don't stick, that might be an indicator. 

There was training a few seasons ago. Not a true trial but close enough. Was in Germany I believe. Think he also had a look with the whitecaps at some point.

15 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Anyone know if that Toronto FC offer is still on the table for him, or has that offer vanished?

I can't imagine it would be.  TFC is well into camp and has likely made other plans.  It's not like Boakai is so impressive that he would merit such an open door.  Besides, TFC doesn't have a lot of cap room which will likely affect how many new players they bring in.  Right now it seems like they will fill the last few roster spots with homegrowns instead of externally primarily for this reason.

Jason

16 hours ago, shermanator said:

Well that's not a huge surprise, guess  on to other trials I guess.  I'm going to guess that the contract offer that was previously on the table from FC Edmonton is off the table now. Anyone hear otherwise?

I'm honestly not sure. From what Miller said, it certainly sounds like the contract is off the table (combo of positions being filled, as well as some pretty final language about the offer that was made). I could see Fath pushing for a contract for him, but I also think that Miller and Fath are pretty close on this. I imagine there would be a few NASL clubs interested (PRFC?) that he might end up with.

Has to be a humbling experience for Hanson. Hope he ends up on his feet.

Since this hasn't been posted here yet, Canucks Abroad reporting that Hanson Boakai has signed with Croatian second division club NK Dugopolje via the original article linked below. FC Edmonton will get less than they would have had he signed with Hajduk Split.

http://www.nogometplus.net/nogometplusnet/blitzplus/TabId/157/ArtMID/726/ArticleID/9891/Hanson-Boakai-potpisuje-za-Dugopolje.aspx

Edited by shermanator