The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

He has consistently made comments like "I know i'll have to choose eventually". Doesn't sound like rhetoric from someone with no interest in playing international footy.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/28/queens-park-rangers-canadian-winger-junior-hoilett-on-toronto-fc-relegation-battles-and-more/

“Right now my mind is just focused on QPR and trying to beat this relegation battle,” Hoilett said. “I haven’t really thought about it. The time will come where I have to make my decision and it will be … (Hoilett paused, smirked and laughed a little) … It will be an interesting decision.”

Pushing Hoilett hard on this subject which, so far, he has been highly reluctant to speak to many journalists about, I asked when he may make that call and if he’s under any pressure from his family to play for Canada or Jamaica.

“It has to come soon. I think so,” Hoilett said. “I’m not sure. I can’t say (when). I will see what happens. The options are open. It’s my decision. Nobody really puts pressure on me.”

It's clear what his motives are.  I don't ever want to see this punk in a Canada shirt unless he's ready to get his hands dirty.

Hoilett's mind: "I can't play for England so I will wait to see if Canada or Jamaica ever make a World Cup and double my odds and then jump on the ship"  

If not why wouldn't he have joined Jamaica by now to play in the Copa America and Hex?  

I believe he mentioned at some point in the past year and a bit a desire to play for toronto fc at some point. I hope he realizes the only way for him to be welcome in Toronto is to represent Canada.

Maybe it's just me but I see some similarities between him and altidor. Doing well in other leagues then struggling in EPL. The thing jozy had was a track record of banging in goals for his country, without that he wouldn't have gotten the big payday he has recently.

If hoilett had represented Canada maybe one of our teams would have brought him back on good money instead of rotting on the bench for QPR.

I believe he mentioned at some point in the past year and a bit a desire to play for toronto fc at some point. I hope he realizes the only way for him to be welcome in Toronto is to represent Canada.

Maybe it's just me but I see some similarities between him and altidor. Doing well in other leagues then struggling in EPL. The thing jozy had was a track record of banging in goals for his country, without that he wouldn't have gotten the big payday he has recently.

If hoilett had represented Canada maybe one of our teams would have brought him back on good money instead of rotting on the bench for QPR.

It's mentioned in the article I posted actually.

It's clear what his motives are. I don't ever want to see this punk in a Canada shirt unless he's ready to get his hands dirty.

Hoilett's mind: "I can't play for England so I will wait to see if Canada or Jamaica ever make a World Cup and double my odds and then jump on the ship"

If not why wouldn't he have joined Jamaica by now to play in the Copa America and Hex?

You have such insight into the inner workings of Junior Hoilett's mind...

Seriously, let's not get crazy with speculation yet again. All we know is that he's not ready to play international football yet and hasn't made up his mind on whether he wants to play for Jamaica or Canada. Everything else is made up.

I'm tired of fans complaining when players go for the money instead of getting playing time. Why is that so wrong? Stay at qpr I'd tell anyone who listen. As for playing here, let the kid decide already. He would be a great forward for the team. We need to beat Honduras and Mexico and El Salvador. We cannot be picky

Yes exactly. I am glad Floro has given him the room to decide when he's ready. If his priority is seeing out his contract at QPR and getting £45,000 a week, then great for him. I don't know the man but in any video interview or article like the one above, he comes across as good natured (the interviewer from that article says so himself). I'm sure i've demonized him in the past but i'm ready to let go.

I can also sympathize with him because I would also be eligable for two nations if I was a professional footballer. I have a father who'd probably push me towards Nigeria. It can't be an easy decision for any of these guys at the end of the day. Even being a Voyageur i'd find such a decision challenging.

Yet for all that has been said about them it sounds like he's proud to be Canadian, proud to be from Toronto and calls TFC his hometown team who he'd like to play for one day.

I hope he puts on the Red (I think he will), and if he puts on the yellow that's okay, I won't hold it against him. And another thing, he is still only 25 and there is no rule that you need to become an international at an earlier age. I respect that he has taken his time with such a decision, while crossing my fingers he dons the maple leaf!

This season is the last year of his really big payday.  He's making £45,000 per week or $3.5 million USD per season right now.  Even in Europe this is a big chuck of change.  If he rides the pine in the Championship this year he's in for an enormous pay cut next year.  Getting a loan really is a make or break thing for him right now or he won't even be making "DP money" next year. 

Maybe he'll be someone we look for with "Targetted Allocation Money" next year.  That's going to be someone in the $550k per season average and I think that's where he will end up.

All that being said he would like one of those opportunties in Canada or MLS he's better get his national team sorted out.  He's not going to be welcome with open arms if he hasn't declared for Canada.  Unless he signs with Vancouver, then he'll be better than fine of course......  Couldn't help myself.

Edited by baulderdash77

He isn't playing too often, and hasn't had any CONCACAF experience but really gents, he'd be a big upgrade at a certain position in the midfield.... Skill wise. Who knows about work ethic and drive. 

If he was motivated and played to his ability we would have a pretty good looking midfield. 

He isn't playing too often, and hasn't had any CONCACAF experience but really gents, he'd be a big upgrade at a certain position in the midfield.... Skill wise. Who knows about work ethic and drive. 

If he was motivated and played to his ability we would have a pretty good looking midfield. 

If he was available to Canada right now he would be competing with Ricketts for the right wing spot. I think Hoilett has more skill but I do not think Floro would start him as Ricketts tracks back and plays well in Floro's pressure and defensive game.

• 2 weeks later...

If Hoilett comes on and does well, he'd instantly make that spot his own tbh.

That said, not even in the 18 against Blackburn today, QPR must be desperate to get rid of him.  After he signs his next deal he might be more interested in playing internationally (and let's face it, we're not in a position to turn him down)

If we can convince Hoilett to join, all we need is Occean and Cavallini and we got a decent attack up front that Cyle Larin can still be learning the ropes in Orlando rather than trial by fire as he is now and struggling at times. Cyle needs more seasoning and don't want to burn him out playing for the Nats while losing on occasion

Hoilett being targeted by Schalke, according to ESPN today.

I've been wondering when he would get renewed interest in Germany. A number of years ago his former coach at St. Pauli was looking to bring him to Hamburg. Just checked the management at Schalke, does not appear to be a connection on the surface, maybe an asst. coach or something?

IMO, it's too late for this guy.

The time to declare a side was this past spring. Get in some reps against the minnows, and the Gold Cup.

Obviously, we can't be turning players away but in this case, I would have no problem with the CSA slamming the door shut.

If he ever did turn out for us, he can expect to hear some heckles that's for sure.

Boy do I ever hate this thread, I hate everything about it. Even the funny stuff is so unfunny. The title sucks, and the pages, even the ads I get for Asian women when I'm in Vancouver or Brazilian chicks in Barcelona (WTF!!), hate them.  I just hate it. 

Next Canada game I get to I am going to print out the whole thread on legal size paper and burn it in front of the Voyageurs section so you all get in big shit for ever having let it happen.

I agree that this thread is highly annoying - yet I still read it.  I am convinced we have wasted more ink on him than the British press.    But then again, maybe not.  Here is a link to the ESPN Schalke article.  Same author wrote that Swansea was interested a week ago.  Hard to believe that an out-of-favour Championship player will bounce up a level, although it has happened before (but these are probably the exception).

The time to declare a side was this past spring. Get in some reps against the minnows, and the Gold Cup.

The time was also before the hex in 2014 qualifying.  It was also before Gold Cup 2013.  It was also the time before Gold Cup 2011.  And the dead horse will be beaten again come Gold Cup 2017.  

Even if Hoilett retires 10 years from now without a cap, you can pretty much expect SOMEONE to come to this thread and declare that Hoilett should play a game for Canada post retirement "because he was playing on a pretty high level as recently as a few months ago".