The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Best team now?

---------------------------- Larin ---------------------------------

-- Hoilett ------------- Hutchinson ------------ Akindele --

------------- De Guzman -------------Johnson ---------------

-- De Jong -------- Edgar -------- Henry ---------- Aird --

this is a nice looking lineup . with oso and teibert also in the mix we might score a goal!

Honestly? I'm not excited about this at all. I would have been excited if this were 2013. The cynic in me says he plays until he finds a new club, then sits on the sidelines and says "I just want to focus on my club career"

So you do not think he was just keeping his options open for Jamaica and England but was telling the truth about focusing on his club team. "I just want to focus on my club career" seems to be a very political way of not responding and not an actual reason.

Honestly? I'm not excited about this at all. I would have been excited if this were 2013. The cynic in me says he plays until he finds a new club, then sits on the sidelines and says "I just want to focus on my club career"

This is a way to focus on his club career:

He will not move up (or at least stop sinking) if he doesn't show prospective clubs that he can play well.

He can't do this because he gets no playing time; with Canada he gets a much better shot at getting some minutes and showing that he still has talent and is still match fit.

So you do not think he was just keeping his options open for Jamaica and England but was telling the truth about focusing on his club team. "I just want to focus on my club career" seems to be a very political way of not responding and not an actual reason.

I just don't think he's committed to Canada in full. He's committed to Canada because this gets him playing time only. If he still accepts call-ups when he's with a new team then my mind will be changed.

I just don't think he's committed to Canada in full. He's committed to Canada because this gets him playing time only. If he still accepts call-ups when he's with a new team then my mind will be changed.

That level of doubt is perfectly understandable given how long this thread is.

I'm indifferent.  Happy because the deeper our player pool becomes, the more attractive Canada becomes to other holdout players.  But a little bittersweet because had he and others come during the last cycle, things could have been different.  We were only one goal differential from qualifying (ie one goal against Honduras IN Canada) from 8-1 not even mattering.  

It's just like zeelaw said.  Why now?  If hoilett was still having success in the Premier league in England, I suspect this move NEVER would have happened.  And that's why I'm really bittersweet about this.  

While this would be bigger news if this was 2013, its still a pretty big addition.

He has the talent. Things haven't worked out since his move to QPR. Hopefully he rediscovers his form with Canada and a Championship team with a Winter transfer.

Definitely a solid addition to the team.

So Aird and Hoilett both players from Britain.

Could this sway Scott Arfield to join? THAT would be HUGE.

Edited by king1010

Also, as a guy that has a Rangers Aird jersey from Aliexpress...so obviously of two hearts about all this...and a guy who has DEFINITELY been hard on Ricketts in the past as a starter for us...I still have to come up with a  new Ricketts chant.  If he gets pushed to the bench just because Hoilett declared...

Golden Girls theme:
"Thank you for being a Red!
Here for years and you're back again!
Your heart is true, you're a Red we are confident!"

"And if we have a game,
and invited every player we knew,
you would see, Ricketts would be there like always,
And the name on the kit would say
Ricketts who is a Red

Edited by madmonte

I have advocated for him to play wide left in the past, as he is dangerous cutting in to the middle of the field with his right foot. That still might be the way to go, given the propensity of our left backs (de Jong and Morgan) to jump into attack on the overlap.

However, Bayern's recent move away from inverted wingers has me rethinking that (about Hoilett anyways). Perhaps it would be better for him to play centrally with Johnson behind Larin, and move Hutchinson to DM. That creates a real solid spine with more balance in terms of defensive and offensive tendancies. Akindele and Ricketts can continue out wide (Tesho can provide service to Larin on his left foot, as shown against Dominica), or you can play de Jong or Tissot wide left in order to serve up some tasty dishes to Cyle, who as good as he is, thrives on balls into the box, which is all we can generally muster up anyways.