The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

The Unimportance of Junior Hoilett.

Yeah, it's funny, three years ago I couldn't wait for this guy to get on board and thought that he would make a massive difference. Now I'm kind of like meh, it would be nice if he does play for Canada but if not I don't think it's anywhere near as big a loss as I would have said it was three years ago.

Yeah, it's funny, three years ago I couldn't wait for this guy to get on board and thought that he would make a massive difference. Now I'm kind of like meh, it would be nice if he does play for Canada but if not I don't think it's anywhere near as big a loss as I would have said it was three years ago.

It might actually do more harm then good. One thing that seemed to be observable in the Dominica games was the players' commitment. It's starting to look more and more like we have a group who is committed and willing to fight for a result on the pitch. If that is the case, bringing in only half-committed guys (esp if they are guys that are not much better than what we already have) could start to erode that sense.

It's early with this newer younger squad, and the team has faced very little adversity as a group. How they react to that will be more telling. But the commitment level seems to be higher and that's a good thing. Let's hope it stays that way.

Hopefully the fact both Akindele and Larin play in MLs doesn't lead to episodes where their clubs (but really MLS itself) denies releasing them for matches. The more our newer guys can play with each other in friendlies between WCQ matches, the better. If we can gel as a team and see the starting three of Ricketts, Larin, and Akindele develop strong chemistry, the goals will start to pop in. I mean already, with Ricketts instructing Larin (or was it Akindele) to play the ball to the back post for the tap in, it shows they're comfortable playing AND planning with each other. The more of that in this squad the merrier.

Original thread point remains, though, that we need "large"* players to start accepting the call and suiting up for us.

*read that as players who are controversial but have a big enough name that their inclusion would provide as much of a talent boost as it would a notoriety boost among the hardcores and those who pay attention in the media

When this thread was started Junior Hoilett was still living off his "star youth" reputation.  Now he is turning 25 and still the same player.  A good player no doubt but not a guy I'll worry about.  We need players willing to die for the shirt, doesn't matter if we had a Barcelona player commit to us.. if they aren't all in they are useless to us.  

Let's hope the media catch up with him on Saturday and at least ask some tough questions. First, he couldn't play until he got a big contract. Then it was "my lips are sealed" the year after 8-1 with no change in status to date. 

Like, dude, what is up? Just explain yourself.

Well said Rob, about Hoilett being potentially damaging.  I've felt the same way.  Again, if we qualify for the World cup, and he all of sudden tries to get on board?  I would literally be pissed right off about excluding the players that committed the entire campaign.

Well said Rob, about Hoilett being potentially damaging.  I've felt the same way.  Again, if we qualify for the World cup, and he all of sudden tries to get on board?  I would literally be pissed right off about excluding the players that committed the entire campaign.

Not like I care about Junior, I think he's now a non factor considering his form and our current group, but if by some miracle we make the WC and he wants in he will be on the team. He'll be a bench player but he'll be on the roster.

I fully understand that it could happen.  And whichever guy that played for Canada consistently, and showed up on every call that all of a sudden gets left off the World Cup roster, so that Hoilett can come? 

I'm going to stop talking about this though.  Getting too far ahead of ourselves in a conversation is pretty jinxy, and ever since Honduras I'm a little nervous about typing foreshadowy things.

Did anyone chat with this guy today? Any reaction from the crowd? At least a good-natured heckle surely???

No, I didn't hear anything nasty at the game.   

Crowd (very small turnout) for most part was positive.   

So no media talked to this guy? He waltzes in to the National Soccer Stadium literally days after Canada plays there and no one asks him where the hell he was four days earlier??? Not to mention that he plays on the "international" side rather than the Canada side during the testimonial.

Edited by Supersonic78

So no media talked to this guy? He waltzes in to the National Soccer Stadium literally days after Canada plays there and no one asks him where the hell he was four days earlier???

Why would they? Who cares about this guy? The guys who follow and write about the MNT are also big fans and I bet they feel the same way as a lot of V's, that this guy is not that useful to us anymore.

Why would they? Who cares about this guy? The guys who follow and write about the MNT are also big fans and I bet they feel the same way as a lot of V's, that this guy is not that useful to us anymore.

Junior wasn't speaking to the media.

I said in the past that Hoilett will not play for any national team. Why waste your free time to play for Canada or Jamaica? It won't get you a bigger contract. 

True he may not play International football. But if the logic being used was "it won't get anyone a bigger contract" neither Canada or Jamaica would have a national team.

• 2 weeks later...

@24thminute: "Junior Hoilett is a special player but he isn't with (Canada) *yet*" = thing just said by Benito Floro

Just to be clear, "yet" means nothing. Just like this entire thread. Just more fanning the flames where there's nothing there.

Edited by Soccerpro