The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

I am guessing you don't watch him play. He has absolutely no fight in him. If he played for Canada, it would not improve us a single bit.

Fair enough to say he doesn't have that bite to his game/no passion; his performances since he left Blackburn and career trajectory have warranted that. I disagree though that he wouldn't help us a single bit. Say what you want about his desire but we've trotted out Ricketts on the flank for almost every important game of the Floro era. Do we really believe Hoilett, even given his current form would not be an upgrade over Ricketts? Would he not be a better depth option off the bench when we need to score than some of our current options? I think he would and as a result would improve our team. Now you could argue that the effect he could have on the team isn't worth trading for the years of fence-sitting and neglect of his country and I would understand and agree with that argument which is a separate argument but he would help us in some ways IMO.

Curious also to know general consensus if Hoilett made himself available do people believe that the CSA would welcome him with open arms/would he be called up immediately by Floro?

If he finally decides he wants to play for Canada then he should be cap-tied at the first possible opportunity then after that take whatever approach decided as appropriate.  Just make sure he can't go elsewhere whether it be for strategic reasons or pay-back (or a combination of both).

I am guessing you don't watch him play. He has absolutely no fight in him. If he played for Canada, it would not improve us a single bit.

I agree that his career and his potential have really dipped.  But if he is willing to come into a camp, I don't see why we wouldn't look at him.  Floro has called in guys from League One Ontario or the USL to take a look at them.  Bringing them into a camp does not automatically mean he's in the starting 11 or even as a sub.  Hoilett would no longer coming in from a position where he has leverage.  If he impresses in camp - shows he has skills that help the team and integrates well with the existing players, maybe he becomes part of the setup.  If not, at least we will have our curiosity satisfied.

Jason

yup. squizz has said it on twitter

Yeah, on the last conference call Floro made some remark about potential playing an official match in October. I followed up and apparently the CSA is of the impression that CONCACAF might come calling for us to play some kind of play-off for a spot in the Copa America Centenario. It makes absolutely no sense, and no one knows what the details would be (i.e. who we would play, why such a play-off would be happening to begin with) but it's a possibility for which we're apparently prepared.

But if that doesn't come to pass, Floro is still planning to play a friendly next month.

^^^ We need players who can go to Hunduras and fight for 90 minutes. Players who can't / won't do that will not improve us. Hoilett has shown with QPR he is not up to adversity.

You're absolutely right we do need players that will go to Central America and fight for 90 minutes. How many of those type of players do we have available to us? Our current squad is made of 7 players who were in the squad for our country's most important game in 20 years one in which we lost 8-1 in Central America, 5 of those players played. Of those 7 players, 6 have played significant roles under Floro with Johnson being the only exception. Of the newer crop of players how many have really convinced us they will not only answer the call but be ready and willing to fight in Central America with the ability to secure positive results? I don't want to bash our players but being pragmatic given what I've seen from the past and what I've seen in the Floro era particularly the gold cup I'm going to say not many.

By no means am I defending hoilett or trying to bash our players but if we're baseing it on who will fight history has proven we haven't had the squads in recent times with enough fight. With all that I think it be naive based on player ability to suggest he wouldn't help improve our squad.

If he finally decides he wants to play for Canada then he should be cap-tied at the first possible opportunity then after that take whatever approach decided as appropriate.  Just make sure he can't go elsewhere whether it be for strategic reasons or pay-back (or a combination of both).

I agree that his career and his potential have really dipped.  But if he is willing to come into a camp, I don't see why we wouldn't look at him.  Floro has called in guys from League One Ontario or the USL to take a look at them.  Bringing them into a camp does not automatically mean he's in the starting 11 or even as a sub.  Hoilett would no longer coming in from a position where he has leverage.  If he impresses in camp - shows he has skills that help the team and integrates well with the existing players, maybe he becomes part of the setup.  If not, at least we will have our curiosity satisfied.

Jason

Fair points by both. Thanks for the insight!

Yeah, on the last conference call Floro made some remark about potential playing an official match in October. I followed up and apparently the CSA is of the impression that CONCACAF might come calling for us to play some kind of play-off for a spot in the Copa America Centenario. It makes absolutely no sense, and no one knows what the details would be (i.e. who we would play, why such a play-off would be happening to begin with) but it's a possibility for which we're apparently prepared.

But if that doesn't come to pass, Floro is still planning to play a friendly next month.

Any chance it has to due with the US losing the hosting rights? My head went straight to us potentially hosting or cohosting the event to get in.

Any chance it has to due with the US losing the hosting rights? My head went straight to us potentially hosting or cohosting the event to get in.

That's a good question. Like I said, everything appears to be pretty up-in-the-air... all I know for sure is that the CSA, at this point, believes there's a possibility that CONCACAF may tell them that we have a play-off game in October.

Panama weren't kicked based on their behaviour at the GC were they?

Hmmmm..... I was told that this theoretical play-off wouldn't entail taking a spot away from any team that is already qualified or attempting to qualify. But even if Panama was booted from its play-off game due to its behaviour, El Salvador would be in line to take its spot, rather than us.

You guys are nuts if you think Hoilett wouldn't help our squad. No matter how bad things have gotten at QPR, you don't think he could show up 20 minutes before our first game in the next round of WCQ and outplay Ricketts?

If his head is in the right place yes. No doubting both Hoiletts ability and potential, he is obviously far from showing and reaching it though or he would be featuring for QPR. The fact it doesn't seem he is willing to take a significant pay cut and play football in preference of rotting in the reserves speaks volumes to his current character and commitment to football. I don't see him deciding to play for Canada anytime soon but if he did I would be cautious about what attitude he brings with him to the squad and how genuine his commitment and drive is. 

*Also I would absolutely welcome Hoilett to the squad if he is in the right place mentally, I think especially right now the Canadian team can help rehabilitate him as much as he can help his country. I am sure he would be welcomed into the squad and made to feel wanted unlike his current environment. I am all for second chances. 

Edited by toontownman

With the score line at 3-0 for Nicaragua in Kingston in the first game keeps up Hoilett won't need to make much of a choice this WCQ round. Jamaica are gonna have to make a comeback or come up with some away goals in Managua on Tuesday!

Edited by BlackOps

Like seriously what is he waiting for now make up your mind buddy time is ticking away, and whatever beef his dad had with the OSA and CSA what can you do who hasn't had a beef with these two inept organization all most every player has who has ever played the game in the province and country, but it is what it is suck it up and put on the jersey you are playing for the  country not the organizations and for the diehard soccer fans who live and breath for the national team.

Edited by 1996