The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

So we know a) that Junior hasn't played for Canada yet, B) that Jamaica wants Junior to play for Canada, and c) a whole lot of "reportedly"s. Oh nooooooo.

(I mean, I still don't think we'll ever see him, but this article adds nothing new.)

Given that you just tweeted "I hope Hoilett plays for Jamaica because we sure don't fuc king deserve him." it's clear your just a troll - and your thoughts have little value.

Do we ban trolls here?

^ Furthermore, there is a strong undercurrent of demand for the English to be included in the Independence Vote.

The last straw pole North of the Scotish border claimed 34% of Scots wanted Independence from England.

However it failed to take into account a Straw Pole that had been taken in England which saw 68% of the English in Favour of a Disolution of the Union!

LOL. Seen that. Tells you everything you need to know in a nutshell.

On top of that (Gawd, how did it go?) Cameron said the Scottish Independents don't want a "referendum", they're like the PQ in Canada, they want a "never-endum".

Hell, I laughed.

LOL. Seen that. Tells you everything you need to know in a nutshell.

On top of that (Gawd, how did it go?) Cameron said the Scottish Independents don't want a "referendum", they're like the PQ in Canada, they want a "never-endum".

Hell, I laughed.

Yep, apparently Jezza Clarkson (he of Top Gear fame) is apparently writing all of Young David's Jokes apparently.

God know's who's writing Millibland's.

Lord Bob is just mad that Vancouver won't host any CMNT games, leave the poor man alone guys.
What does that have to do with Hoilett? Besides, everyone knew Vancouver wouldn't be getting any WCQ games, without a stadium to play in.

I think your letting him off the hook too easily. The issues aren't related. Is he going to fail to get laid one night and start calling for Hart's resignation? I'm surprised you'd suggest that Lord Bob is so emotionally immature to suggest that we shouldn't get Hoilett because Vancouver doesn't have a decent stadium. There has to be a deeper meaning.

What does that have to do with Hoilett? Besides, everyone knew Vancouver wouldn't be getting any WCQ games, without a stadium to play in.

I think your letting him off the hook too easily. The issues aren't related. Is he going to fail to get laid one night and start calling for Hart's resignation? I'm surprised you'd suggest that Lord Bob is so emotionally immature to suggest that we shouldn't get Hoilett because Vancouver doesn't have a decent stadium. There has to be a deeper meaning.

I was actually being sarcastic. Truthfully, he deserves any harsh treatment because he's been acting like a child. And I assumed his "recommendation" to Hoilett was made out of anger towards the CSA for not giving Vancouver a game. Or he is just a troll, possible G-man in disguise? (Does anyone remember that guy? What a laugh he was)!

I was actually being sarcastic. Truthfully, he deserves any harsh treatment because he's been acting like a child. And I assumed his "recommendation" to Hoilett was made out of anger towards the CSA for not giving Vancouver a game. Or he is just a troll, possible G-man in disguise? (Does anyone remember that guy? What a laugh he was)!

I read this first line and assumed you were talking about Hoilett.

Being an opportunist. Jr. has the ability to write his own ticket, hes been a bright prospect for years and was in the pipeline at the pro level, Janiel may not be so lucky and needs all the connections and developmental opportunities to further his career. Thats just conjecture though obviously.

That's apparently pretty close to what's going on.

I miss jahman. I hope we make it to the hex just for his return.

i want to send hoilet a jersey with his name and number on it,

show him we need him before jamaica does

Don't waste your hard earned money! He knows he's wanted by us obviously, his Dad will tell him what his best opportunity is at the end of the day and I believe he'll guide him to Jamaica!

Bayern would be sweet, I would like to see him back in Germany for obvious reasons and thought Bayern would be a long shot. Dortmand, Bayer Leverkusen, Werder Bremen, or Shalke I would think would be more realisitc. Even then those are some very good clubs and although I am not too familair with the wingers on those teams, I would imagine he would have to really fight for his time.

Funny thing is, hypothetically speaking if he finds his way to a really big club like Bayern Munich, he would have reached the point where playing for jamaica for endorsement advantages would be pointless. If you have made it THAT far in your career, it won't matter if your an international with Bermuda! The rational that playing for a better country will help your career shouldn't matter at that point? Should it?

The rational that playing for a better country will help your career shouldn't matter at that point? Should it?

Except that if he were playing for a country that consistently made the world cup, he'd have more opportunities to showcase his skill on the world stage and negotiate a lucrative deal with a Chelsea or Man City or the like.

The only problem with that rationale is that he has to guarantee getting playing time on a top time and that can be very difficult.

Except that if he were playing for a country that consistently made the world cup, he'd have more opportunities to showcase his skill on the world stage and negotiate a lucrative deal with a Chelsea or Man City or the like.

The only problem with that rationale is that he has to guarantee getting playing time on a top time and that can be very difficult.

That is kind of my point. It doesn't get much bigger than Bayern Munich. So if he were to sign for them, or Chelsea or Man City, or any of those super clubs, would it still be an advantage to play for a country that consistently made the world cup? I wouldn't think so. He would already have a lucrative deal in place.

That is kind of my point. It doesn't get much bigger than Bayern Munich. So if he were to sign for them, or Chelsea or Man City, or any of those super clubs, would it still be an advantage to play for a country that consistently made the world cup? I wouldn't think so. He would already have a lucrative deal in place.

The answer is yes, and it comes twofold. First is that endorsements - the so called image rights - can be very lucrative and the value of that is relative to the overall perception of a player in both the local and international markets. The team, obviously is an important part of that. But so too is the natioanal team. For Addidas, a player who is a Bayerb Munich and <insert big country here> is infinitely more attractive than a player who is BM and <insert relative minnow here>. There are exceptions of course. Players who are of such maginitude and charisma that this overpowers their weakness in national origin - for instance a Drogba. The second, and I am not sure if it applies to other nations, but it is well noted that there is a premium paid for England internationals in both transfer fees and wages, by English clubs - it is one reason, among others, that few English stars play overseas. Now, in both cases, this does not apply to a choice between Jamiaca and Canada. And I have often said that the player who leads Canada to a world cup will unlock endorsement opportunities here many time more lucarative than it is now.

^except from an image perspective a player who is playing for a country like BM and Canada would still have potentially massive benefits. Why do I state this? Because Canada is one of the very richest places in the world....whereas, Spain, for example, despite being massive on the pitch is a crumpling mess economically.

And yes, we can all imagine the endorsement cash any CMNT player would get when Canada qualifies for the World Cup be it 2014 or some time in the future. And yes, it will happen again!

And yes, we can all imagine the endorsement cash any CMNT player would get when Canada qualifies for the World Cup be it 2014 or some time in the future. And yes, it will happen again!

My impression is that qualifying for the WC finals would probably completely make up for DeRo being unable to get DP status in MLS. Like, one Umbro boot commercial would probably cover two years' salary. :P

The answer is yes, and it comes twofold. First is that endorsements - the so called image rights - can be very lucrative and the value of that is relative to the overall perception of a player in both the local and international markets. The team, obviously is an important part of that. But so too is the natioanal team. For Addidas, a player who is a Bayerb Munich and <insert big country here> is infinitely more attractive than a player who is BM and <insert relative minnow here>. There are exceptions of course. Players who are of such maginitude and charisma that this overpowers their weakness in national origin - for instance a Drogba. The second, and I am not sure if it applies to other nations, but it is well noted that there is a premium paid for England internationals in both transfer fees and wages, by English clubs - it is one reason, among others, that few English stars play overseas. Now, in both cases, this does not apply to a choice between Jamiaca and Canada. And I have often said that the player who leads Canada to a world cup will unlock endorsement opportunities here many time more lucarative than it is now.

Very interesting, thanks Gordon.

So are you of the opinion that Hoillet's image rights would be more lucarative as an English international first (obvious I suppose), a Canadian international second, and a Jamaican international third?

His agent supposedly thinks being a Jamaican international would be more lucarative that being a Canadian, but perhaps he is right (especially considering the English context)! There are many more Jamacian internationals in England than Canadian, both now and in the past. Furthermore, the Jamacians who tend to make the biggest impact (this is my perception) in the UK are the attacking players. Moreover, Jamacia has been to the world cup in somewhat recent memory for alot of people, while Canada has the reputation of being a hockey country only. Here is a story for you guys: A few years ago I worked in the US at a sports camp, and many of my co-workers on the soccer staff were English. They were all very shocked that I could actually play well and had a good understanding of the game. Perhaps that gives some insight into how Canadian footballers are precieved. If I were Jamacian I would doubt there would be any surprise.

Anyways, our FIFA ranking doesn't show it, but I firmly believe we have a better group of players than Jamacia. When you compare both teams on paper, we have more players at bigger clubs. The game however is played on the field, so the only way to change this perception is to qualify for the world cup in not only 2014, but 2018, 2022, and so on...The first time is probably going to be considered a fluke regardless of how deep we go, but if we can qualify regularly like the USA we will truely raise our profile.

Wow I kind of went off track there a bit.

Funny thing, doesn't anyone wonder why Hoillet/Jamacia keeps coming up, while JDG2 NEVER does? Both are equally eligable.

Funny thing, doesn't anyone wonder why Hoillet/Jamacia keeps coming up, while JDG2 NEVER does? Both are equally eligable.

Because the GUZMAN brothers were ruled out of Jamaica's football at a very young age by their youth coach...If you guys didn't know, now you do...The uncle of JDG and JDG2 actually inquired about them representing Jamaica's u20 and u17 and they had a scout that came to watch them play but he said that Jamaica had local players like them on every street corner. No Joke guys this is actually true. Up to now JDG is still bitter and he seems to try and prove a point whenever he plays against Jamaica.

Because the GUZMAN brothers were ruled out of Jamaica's football at a very young age by their youth coach...If you guys didn't know, now you do...The uncle of JDG and JDG2 actually inquired about them representing Jamaica's u20 and u17 and they had a scout that came to watch them play but he said that Jamaica had local players like them on every street corner. No Joke guys this is actually true. Up to now JDG is still bitter and he seems to try and prove a point whenever he plays against Jamaica.

I suppose this "scout" went to Marsille and Rotterdam to see them? Or I guess he scouted them in Scaraborough playing in their backyard?