The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

The whole thing to me seems to hinge on this.

Why has the CSA not called him up to the senior squad by now?

He's Canadian He has a passport and is qualified to play.

I'm not one for messing about in the Undersquads U-20/ U23 etc these to me are for developing breakthough players. Hoilets now keeps down a senior position in arguable the top league in the world.

Would Canadas top NHLs be kept out of the Full olympic squad due to age?

Rooney went into the England set up as did Michael Owen and Richards etc. We dont wait until there over 23.

Seriously offer him a Full Cap for the next game now or tell him to walk.

Last Im saying on this ( I think)

Whats the difference? Hes been asked to play obviously and to this point has declined, Hart should 100% focus on the players we have and if Jr. shows up so be it. We the fans are speculating and thinking about him as a player and fitting him in, does'nt mean the actual team is focused or thinking about him. Actually calling him or naming him in the squad will do the complete opposite and focus attention on Jr. rather than the players in our team that deserve the attention and praise, sure if he accepts it works out but odds are he won't and it will piss off our guys.

Edited by villus

I've not seen enough of Blackburn to ventrue an opinion, but I always urge caution when it comes to what fans are saying, especially fans who might be feeling spurned or annoyed that he is leave on a Bosman. Not to say that they might not be right...

I think you're right about some of the negative opinion about Hoilett from Rovers fans stemming from those who are annoyed about him leaving the club that developed him. Rovers fans have had their fill of "Billy Big Boots" types, who think they're too good for lil' ol' Rovers - only to fall on their faces after agitating for a move away (e.g., Bentley, Santa Cruz, Warnock).

For what it's worth, he hasn't been brilliant this year, but nobody has been for Rovers (Yakubu aside). Jr has world-class close control and loads of pace - things that discipline won't instill (unlike tracking back - which, in theory, anyone can do). I don't blame him for leaving the gong-show that Rovers have become, but, for the sake of our MNT, I hope he leaves the Prem, because if he signs for the likes of Arsenal, the chances of him playing for England surely grow.

I have noticed some Blackburn fans commenting on BBC saying that Hoilett isn't as amazing as everyone seems to be thinking, in particular due to his poor defensive work. I think to say that he isn't expected to track back is wrong, because I think he is and that is what annoys Balckburn fans. This is why Blackburn are near the bottom, defensive work from their team is poor. David is in the team because of his attacking qualities, and he excels in that regard no doubting that. However I think he needs a better manager than Kean to get him to work more on his defensive side if he is going to be used as a winger. I don't think Arsenal is going to give him that. Newcastle yes, Spurs possibly, Sunderland yes.

I'd love Sunderland to go for him, O'Neill is a top top manager and he'd shape is game well. You only need to see what he did for Ashley Young and his career to know that

I agree he needs a better manager. That's part of the problem. He's been taken as far as possible by Blackburn... Actually that's not true. He's been given a shot. I can't imagine what he's learned, if anything in the last year and a half under Kean.

Arsenal players are very good at tracking back. Look at Gervinho, last year he was a forward in a 4-4-2, and now he's tracking back box to box. Arshavin got punted to Russia precisely because he wasn't putting in the work, especially defensively, every other winger and forward on that team plays the field... so yeah, I take exception to that statement. You won't see Demba Ba tracking back to defend in his own half in open play, but you sure as F**K WILL see RvP doing it!!

O'Neill... I don't rate him. Many teams play well for the first few games after getting a new manager. My bro is a Villa fan and he doesn't think much of O'Neill. Personally, as a player, and former coach, I don't rate someone who walks out on his team, what, a couple of days before the season begins, because he wanted more money to make more **** transfers and they wouldn't give it to them. Childish!!

I hate to say it... but Chelsea??? I think Roman is tired of the BS from his senior players, and I could see a clearing out there in the summer, which means they'll be looking to bring in young hungry talent. I think he would get playing time there, and learn to develop into a complete player, on a team with world class talent.

Guest Brethers
I agree he needs a better manager. That's part of the problem. He's been taken as far as possible by Blackburn... Actually that's not true. He's been given a shot. I can't imagine what he's learned, if anything in the last year and a half under Kean.

Arsenal players are very good at tracking back. Look at Gervinho, last year he was a forward in a 4-4-2, and now he's tracking back box to box. Arshavin got punted to Russia precisely because he wasn't putting in the work, especially defensively, every other winger and forward on that team plays the field... so yeah, I take exception to that statement. You won't see Demba Ba tracking back to defend in his own half in open play, but you sure as F**K WILL see RvP doing it!!

O'Neill... I don't rate him. Many teams play well for the first few games after getting a new manager. My bro is a Villa fan and he doesn't think much of O'Neill. Personally, as a player, and former coach, I don't rate someone who walks out on his team, what, a couple of days before the season begins, because he wanted more money to make more **** transfers and they wouldn't give it to them. Childish!!

I hate to say it... but Chelsea??? I think Roman is tired of the BS from his senior players, and I could see a clearing out there in the summer, which means they'll be looking to bring in young hungry talent. I think he would get playing time there, and learn to develop into a complete player, on a team with world class talent.

Walcott and Benayoun are two players I would say don't really track back, and Podolski when he arrives in the summer. RVP works hard everywhere because of the player he is, Demba Ba is not that type of player. I was referring more specifically to the styles of play that Newcastle and Sunderland use, and how their managers use their wingers. They seem to be a bit more grafty on these teams, in that they are tracking up and down the pitch which is something David would benefit from. O'Neill is a great manager, come on. Where are Villa now? Doing crap. Where were they when he was manager? Challenging for Europe spots. What he did for players like Ashley Young and Agbonlahor just go to show he knows how to help young players develop. And then there were his Celtic days, and don't say it's an easy league and anyone could have done it, because not only did Celtic do very very well domestically they actually played well in Europe, something they haven;t done too much of in recent years

This thread reminds me of the thread at riderfans.com for the proposed Regina domed stadium, 500 pages of...NOTHING

Otherwise, assume this guy doesn't want to play for us until a few years from now when Plan A fails. That's the M.O. of these guys, seen it before and unfortunately will see it again.

Trust me folks, when (if) there is news, you'll know.

This thread reminds me of the thread at riderfans.com for the proposed Regina domed stadium, 500 pages of...NOTHING

Otherwise, assume this guy doesn't want to play for us until a few years from now when Plan A fails. That's the M.O. of these guys, seen it before and unfortunately will see it again.

Trust me folks, when (if) there is news, you'll know.

Totally agree.

From the BBC Sport live text today:

Blackburn midfielder Junior Hoilett, who scored both his side's goals in the 2-0 win over Wolves: "We've been scoring a lot of goals this season but we needed a clean sheet - it feels like six points today. I was watching videos of Wayne Hennessey before the game and saw he is weak on low shots so for the second goal I just went for it early in the bottom corner. It's not out of the question that I could play for England in the future."

Blackburn midfielder Junior Hoilett, who scored both his side's goals in the 2-0 win over Wolves: "We've been scoring a lot of goals this season but we needed a clean sheet - it feels like six points today. I was watching videos of Wayne Hennessey before the game and saw he is weak on low shots so for the second goal I just went for it early in the bottom corner. It's not out of the question that I could play for England in the future."

He can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.

Could this possibly have been "taken out of context" ... if not, what an ass. Goddamn, why can't we catch a break!

Could this possibly have been "taken out of context" ... if not, what an ass. Goddamn, why can't we catch a break!

How is he being an ass? As much as I want Hoillet to play for Canada I (nor should anyone) can not begrudge him should he choose England. I believe he would be better declaring for Canada as he could be "the" guy for a country....or he can be 1 fish in a pond full of bigger better fish but have a chance of winning something........

How is he being an ass? As much as I want Hoillet to play for Canada I (nor should anyone) can not begrudge him should he choose England. I believe he would be better declaring for Canada as he could be "the" guy for a country....or he can be 1 fish in a pond full of bigger better fish but have a chance of winning something........

This sort of logic never ceases to amaze me. International football is about representing your country. Hoilett is not English. He's not Jamaican either. If he has any pride in himself he would play for Canada. It is pure opportunism and careerism for him to consider any other options.

If we accept the logic that people should choose whichever country gives them the best chance to win, we might as well stop playing international football and just have more Champions League matches.

This sort of logic never ceases to amaze me. International football is about representing your country. Hoilett is not English. He's not Jamaican either. If he has any pride in himself he would play for Canada. It is pure opportunism and careerism for him to consider any other options.

If we accept the logic that people should choose whichever country gives them the best chance to win, we might as well stop playing international football and just have more Champions League matches.

I never said it was right....but its a common practice in world football today. I believe that you should only be able to represent the country you are born in....but thats not how it works....hence why I wont begrudge him should he choose England or even Jamaica

This sort of logic never ceases to amaze me. International football is about representing your country.
Moi, aussi. Some people seem to think this is the auld country nostalgia board or the international citizen of the world board. It is the Canadian Supporter's Group forum. People, don't be surprised if there are those who support Canada and its furtherance here.

You make your money with your club. International duties are to profit the player spiritually not financially. Profiting financially from international appearances should be ancillary, anything above that is greed.

Moi, aussi. Some people seem to think this is the auld country nostalgia board or the international citizen of the world board. It is the Canadian Supporter's Group forum. People, don't be surprised if there are those who support Canada and its furtherance here.

You make your money with your club. International duties are to profit the player spiritually not financially. Profiting financially from international appearances should be ancillary, anything above that is greed.

Fancy that, supporting Canada on this board who knew? I have said I wish Hoillet to declare and play for Canada.... Lets not be so naive and think that the majority of footballers today play international games because of the pride in their country.... its about money. It stopped being about pride in country sometime ago.

He can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.

Completely agree! I'm really quite sick of this story, I suppose that's all he is waiting for (England Cap) I've just had enough of guys like him! He draped himself in the Canadian flag in one of the last games this past season, the BBC refers to him as Canadian and yet he comes up with every excuse in the world not to play for his home country! Enough is enough, good luck wherever you end up playing Junior and your family should get the hell out of Canada and enjoy all the benefits of those great places wherever they may be!

Fancy that, supporting Canada on this board who knew? I have said I wish Hoillet to declare and play for Canada.... Lets not be so naive and think that the majority of footballers today play international games because of the pride in their country.... its about money. It stopped being about pride in country sometime ago.

You just said you wouldn't begrudge him should he choose England or even Jamaica, you're entitiled to your opinion but I don't think many will share it on a Canadian Supporters board!

You know I've quit and rejoined Vs more times than I care to remember so my join date is almost a decade after I first started stalking the group. Maybe I'm being revisionist and senile but IIRC one of the primary reasons the Vs were started was a reaction to Canadian players being booed at Varsity stadium in Toronto (Iran game)

And when this board becomes a little too internationalist for my tastes I like to counter with a little of that anger and the onetime raison d'etre for this board.

There were some (who should have known better) who said that Owen the Whore playing for England would be the best thing ever to happen to Canadian soccer. I'm still waiting for the benefits of that one because right now all I'm seeing is the fallout.

He wont play for england the karma of turning your back on Canada never goes well for the said individual.
Ah yes, the infamous Brad Parker curse. Brad Parker, there's a blast from the past, where is he now?

My God, just saw on Wikipedia he's only 31, maybe he'll give up the dream and play for Canada now :)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

You know I've quit and rejoined Vs more times than I care to remember so my join date is almost a decade after I first started stalking the group. Maybe I'm being revisionist and senile but IIRC one of the primary reasons the Vs were started was a reaction to Canadian players being booed at Varsity stadium in Toronto (Iran game)

And when this board becomes a little too internationalist for my tastes I like to counter with a little of that anger and the onetime raison d'etre for this board.

There were some (who should have known better) who said that Owen the Whore playing for England would be the best thing ever to happen to Canadian soccer. I'm still waiting for the benefits of that one because right now all I'm seeing is the fallout.

I was at that Iran match you mention, disgraceful! Thanks for the little bit of V's history! I am never going to feel bad about taking a stand on these fence sitters who eventually betray their homeland and anyone who thinks it is a good decision for Canadian soccer is probably on the wrong board!

I never said it was right....but its a common practice in world football today. I believe that you should only be able to represent the country you are born in....but thats not how it works....hence why I wont begrudge him should he choose England or even Jamaica

So something happens that you don't believe is right and you just totally accept it without a fight?

Yes, it may be "common practice" today, but that doesn't mean Canadian supporters can't voice their displeasure and criticize individuals who "do wrong".

Just brutal.