The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Maybe it was taken out of context, we all know the media likes to twist things into stories some times, so hopefully that's all it was because I"m still holding out hope he'll wake up and be a proud Canadian and pull on the kit.

That said, if he hasn't because he's holding out for a chance with England than I will politely say, Screw You Jag-Off !!!

Not sure if I read about this on this discussion or if it was mentioned somewhere else but we were discussing how the FA does not take players who have no lineage to England. ********** had a connection cause of his grandparents. Almunia obtained British citizenship but the FA never selected him cause it was "un-British" hope that goes the same for Hoillet.

Not sure if I read about this on this discussion or if it was mentioned somewhere else but we were discussing how the FA does not take players who have no lineage to England. ********** had a connection cause of his grandparents. Almunia obtained British citizenship but the FA never selected him cause it was "un-British" hope that goes the same for Hoillet.

Actually *************'s Dad is English, as are his siblings. His Mother is Welsh, but I concur with you train of thought.

John Barnes is maybe a closer comparison but, as he was Jamacian born. However he was schooled in England from the age of 13, and probably held a British National Overseas Passport at the time he came to the UK.

From Daily Mirror today:

--------------------------------------

Kean warns Hoilett: Leave us and you risk life on bench

Published 13:07 21/03/12 By David Anderson (2) Recommend

Junior Hoilett has been warned by Steve Kean that if he leaves Blackburn this summer he may not be as a big a star at another club.

Hoilett is set to quit Rovers when his contract expires in June and is being tracked by a host of clubs, including Arsenal, Newcastle and Bayern Munich.

The Canadian forward is an automatic choice under Kean because of his red-hot form and the Blackburn boss has told him he may not be a regular elsewhere.

"If someone is out of contract and is playing the way he's playing, there's going to be teams interested," said Kean.

"We want him to stay here because he's playing out of his skin. Would he play week in week out if he went to another club? I don't know.

"We hope that we can get ourselves into a position of safety and then make him an offer."

Yeah, but without ongoing residence, England may be less inclined to pick him up. Elligible or not, I suspect they would be more likely to 'poach' a player who is playing for Blackburn than one living in Germany and playing for Bayern.

Hmm England poaching a Canadian born player playing in Germany with Bayern.... that could never happen.

^they do. I don't see Hoilett ever getting selected for England....unless he turns very quickly into a world class player or at least an almost definite starter for England. In which case....all gentleman agreements go out the window I am sure!

Hmm England poaching a Canadian born player playing in Germany with Bayern.... that could never happen.

Oh snap!

I thought the "Home Nations" had a gentleman's agreement that no player without family lineage or minimum 5 years schooling (ie: K-12) will be selected for their respective national teams.

Yes, the "home nations" rule is one thing, but the FIFA regs are 2 years before age 18. As mentioned, if Hoilett turns into a world class player i'm pretty sure you can throw that gentleman's agreement out the window.

• 4 weeks later...

check Simeon Jacksons twitter.. someone asked him to give Jr. H a chat (re cmnt) at this wknds Norwich/Blackburn game.

Simeon said he's been trying for yrs and will try again this week but he thinks Jr. may be coming around.

Do we REALLY want to just win so badly that we get on our knees and beg these guys to come play here?

It pisses me off, if you move somewhere at age 10 or 12 that is one thing, but to forsake your country like Jr and JDG2 are is disgraceful!

I have much less issue with supporters coming out for their home national team than with this bullsh1t! At least there is a chance that the other supporters that live here will be with the Canada supporters in the other Canada games.

Do we REALLY want to just win so badly that we get on our knees and beg these guys to come play here?

It pisses me off, if you move somewhere at age 10 or 12 that is one thing, but to forsake your country like Jr and JDG2 are is disgraceful!

I have much less issue with supporters coming out for their home national team than with this bullsh1t! At least there is a chance that the other supporters that live here will be with the Canada supporters in the other Canada games.

I'm confused, so you're mad at both of them? I'm pretty sure they've both been in Europe since they were very young. I know Jono was at Feyenord when he was 12 or 13 and I think Junior was with City as a youth (not sure).