The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

They want to keep him - as others have said - because dropping to the Championship will cost the club a heck of a lot more than they can earn by selling him....and he'll want to keep them up because who knows if his stock will continue to rise while playing championship....

So, I had a look at the Nats roster for the St Kitts game.

Noting the "kids" in the squad and the two English based players, I have to ask the question. Does Hart actually rate him enough to call him up or does he consider the equivication (his or his dads) to be sign enough as not to bother with at all?

Ego, is the answer to the Importance of Young Mr Hoillet...Meh not important enough to worry about?

Hoilett is hands down a game changer. Thats really his shining quality, he can create something on his own and change any game. 18 million valuation is fair if you compare him to recent transfer fees in the EPL. Hes a young exciting player, in a vacuum Blackburn should sell him but considering relegation they should probably never sell him unless they can improve their team to avoid the drop. Bottom line is this guy could be huge for us, he may not play for us but there is no denying his potential and ability.

Hoilett is hands down a game changer. Thats really his shining quality, he can create something on his own and change any game. 18 million valuation is fair if you compare him to recent transfer fees in the EPL. Hes a young exciting player, in a vacuum Blackburn should sell him but considering relegation they should probably never sell him unless they can improve their team to avoid the drop. Bottom line is this guy could be huge for us, he may not play for us but there is no denying his potential and ability.

^

+1

Villus, you've got it right on both counts:

That figure of £18m is what Rovers want as the release clause in his next contract - Rovers wouldn't expect anyone to pay that amount during the January transfer window for a player with half a season left on his contract. Like you, I don't expect them to sell him in Jan.

As for the accuracy of that valuation, Rovers felt like the £16m clause in Phil Jones' contract was too low (probably true considering Liverpool paid more for an inferior player in Henderson). Anyway, you are right, Jr. is a gamechanger - even in a poor Rovers side that relies on him far too much.

For what it's worth, most Rovers supporters don't expect him to sign anyway. Why would he? We look headed for the drop w/ a total drunk donut of a manager and clueless chicken farmers for owners.

Stoke linked w/ Jr. - possibly for the Jan. transfer window. This journalist is pretty reliable IMO.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/11/06/tony-pulis-wants-junior-hoilett-from-blackburn-102039-23540574/

If the Potters offered anywhere near £10m in Jan, I think Rovers would take it. I hate Stoke, but they are progressively building a side that can compete (despite getting hammered by Bolton today). Plus, I'm sure Jr. would be attracted by the chance to play Europa league and take a pay rise at the same time.

Stoke linked w/ Jr. - possibly for the Jan. transfer window. This journalist is pretty reliable IMO.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/11/06/tony-pulis-wants-junior-hoilett-from-blackburn-102039-23540574/

If the Potters offered anywhere near £10m in Jan, I think Rovers would take it. I hate Stoke, but they are progressively building a side that can compete (despite getting hammered by Bolton today). Plus, I'm sure Jr. would be attracted by the chance to play Europa league and take a pay rise at the same time.

Keep Junior the F#@k away from that slime Begovic...

I think Stoke would be a horrible move for him from a soccer standpoint. He does really well with the ball at his feet being able to beat players, Stoke has built its team around long balls and big strong target men. That means that junior is'nt going to get the ball at his feet very often, which is his strong point. Stokes possession numbers are always in the lowest levels of the epl and there style does'nt lend itself to a player like jr. They get some results, but if I was Jr. I would'nt go anywhere near stoke and try to find a team that is going to allow him to pick up possession in dangerous areas with support.

I think Stoke would be a horrible move for him from a soccer standpoint. He does really well with the ball at his feet being able to beat players, Stoke has built its team around long balls and big strong target men. That means that junior is'nt going to get the ball at his feet very often, which is his strong point. Stokes possession numbers are always in the lowest levels of the epl and there style does'nt lend itself to a player like jr. They get some results, but if I was Jr. I would'nt go anywhere near stoke and try to find a team that is going to allow him to pick up possession in dangerous areas with support.

I agree

I dunno if it would be such a bad move as Pulis has been trying to bring in players capable of playing "actual" football. Yes they play to their strengths (what team doesn't?) but Blackburn and Stoke have both been very physical sides over the years, often looking to score from set pieces and high balls, and Junior has excelled at Blackburn bc they realise they need to change sometimes to play through him to add that element of unpredictability. Stoke do have players who can play less direct, good football, and TP has started building a deeper, more versatile squad capable of playing good football when in possession. Having said that, I do realise when stoke do not have possession they do tend to revert to a very physical style of play to regain the ball but since Junior rarely makes even a half effort defensively, there is no worry he will get caught up in playing "stoke-esque".

No, agreed, from a soccer perspective - why choose Stoke? Not his type of team set-up; long balls, bully-boy tactics, no possession, low pass completion.

If I had my way, he'd stay with Rovers. Blackburn aren't the rough n' ready Rovers of years past and are hardly recognizeable from the Sam Allardyce days. Our manager is trying to build around Jr. as a key man, along with a few other young players. The stuff Rovers play isn't half-bad, but the results aren't there, and a player who's deciding on a contract isn't likely to sign for a club that's staring relegation in the face. At the end of the day, I think Jr. will follow the $$$, and if Stoke are offering him the biggest wage packet, then it wouldn't surprise me if he's soon dressed like a candy-cane.

I agree EDM, my point was that it does seem Pulis has tried to bring in reinforcements to moderately change Stoke's style of play. IMO, the difference is Kean has tried overhauling Rovers to playing better football but they aren't getting results, whereas TP is slowly showing signs of trying to play better football but isn't willing to risk the results and therefore keeps going back to route-one when they are struggling or playing anyone above them in the table.

Oh yeah, and I meant to add that if Blackburn have changed their style to play through Junior, there is no reason with some of the players Stoke have and have been linked with, that they can't have a similar playing style change. Admittedly, Rovers changed their manager for the change to occur so perhaps Stoke would need one too but TP seems to be ambitious in getting better proper footballers for Stoke to be able to do well in Europe as well as the league.

Edited by maccaliam
forgot to add my last point

What signings is Pulis making to play better soccer? Crouch? Cameron Jerome? He plays 4 CB's most games and the creative players hes signed or games he plays a non direct style are? Sorry if your a stoke fan, they may get results and they may pay hoilett some money but if he goes somewhere else he can develop more be utilized better and if he cares about money that much make way more money in the long run. I'm not trying to insult Stoke, they play their style and they do it very well and they get the job done.

Pulis would sign a squadron of Lancaster Bombers if would mean that he could secure 40 points. Tony Pulis the Bomber Harris of The EPL.

However...He uses what he's got effectivley, and most of that on a small budget. Now that Stoke have some time served in the EPL they will be looking at healthier finances, so maybe there is a move towards more of a ground attack option. (still to see it though)

That been said if JR stays at the Rovers what will he achieve? Well he wont save the club going down on his own (Sorry EDM Rover but I think even you seam resigned to the possibility of been down even before xmas). But if he keeps focused and "dangerous" in persuit of "the cause" then what's to say his stock wont rise in doing so. Also remember that there are a number of Championships contenders who are BIG clubs, with history, and big international fan bases. Remember Big Sam is luking in the top half down there.

Still don't solve the problem of how you go about shirting him up in Maple red though.

EDM, not meaning to turn this thread into a Rovers fans anoymous support group, but how embarassing was the Ban on the Banners this weekend?

If West Ham or Southampton can get into the PL next year - JR would do well to sign for either as they play "the right way." Even Leeds looks a proper side! The Saints are being called the "Barcelona of the Championship...."

I'd love to see a Hammers move!

I'd love to see a Hammers move!

Yeah I'd love to se him play for West Ham too but unfortunately they aren't playing proper football right now, even if they are winning. And it wouldn't be a goot fit for JR. At the beginning of season Big Sam sent out one of their most talented players (Pablo Barrera) on loan to Spain. After having an incredible gold cup, he didn't fit into the long ball style Sam wants to play.

What signings is Pulis making to play better soccer? Crouch? Cameron Jerome? He plays 4 CB's most games and the creative players hes signed or games he plays a non direct style are? Sorry if your a stoke fan, they may get results and they may pay hoilett some money but if he goes somewhere else he can develop more be utilized better and if he cares about money that much make way more money in the long run. I'm not trying to insult Stoke, they play their style and they do it very well and they get the job done.

Not a stoke fan at all, nor do I necessarily want Hoillet to go there - i'm just saying I don't think it would be all doom and gloom as I feel others are making such a potential move out to be. Crouch is a player who can play better football than simply his height would imply. The signing of gudjohnsen last season was a sign i think TP wants to bring in different types of players - ok he was a flop but he is playing in greece which shows his game isn't what it once was not that Pulis just didn't fancy a player who plays the ball on the deck. That doesn't mean TP wants to change Stoke's play entirely or at any cost, but he has often been linked with more skilled players as opposed to just grafters the past year or two. They have tried to sign significantly better footballers who unfortunately for the potters, just don't want to go to a place like Stoke.

Pulis would sign a squadron of Lancaster Bombers if would mean that he could secure 40 points. Tony Pulis the Bomber Harris of The EPL.

However...He uses what he's got effectivley, and most of that on a small budget. Now that Stoke have some time served in the EPL they will be looking at healthier finances, so maybe there is a move towards more of a ground attack option. (still to see it though)

That been said if JR stays at the Rovers what will he achieve? Well he wont save the club going down on his own (Sorry EDM Rover but I think even you seam resigned to the possibility of been down even before xmas). But if he keeps focused and "dangerous" in persuit of "the cause" then what's to say his stock wont rise in doing so. Also remember that there are a number of Championships contenders who are BIG clubs, with history, and big international fan bases. Remember Big Sam is luking in the top half down there.

Still don't solve the problem of how you go about shirting him up in Maple red though.

EDM, not meaning to turn this thread into a Rovers fans anoymous support group, but how embarassing was the Ban on the Banners this weekend?

Well, a few fans showed up on Saturday with BALLOONS with "Steve Kean out" written on them and the match commentators were mocking that pathetic gesture (I only saw about 5 balloons, so it was pathetic). But, when the plane flew overhead, towing a "Steve Kean out" banner - I thought that was hilarious - you can't silence the fans unless you WIN. SK has an 18.75% win rate.

Guest Brethers

Pulis actually has some good footballers at Stoke. Etherington and Pennant are the first two that spring to mind. Jerome isn't actually just a physical player, he has a lot of skill as does Jonny Walters. Plus, to get the ball in the box you need wingers who can cross!!! I just want Hoilett to stay in the premeirship and play for us, I don't mind where he goes

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting, I initially started this thread trying to think of ways for us to influence Jr. to come play. Little did I know that it could happen through influencing JDG2. God speed to Bergkamp this weekend in Santander, may the force be with him.