David Edgar

forster01

13 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

Wait, do people forget Edgar at RB under Hart? He wasn't all bad, and definitely better than I have seen from Henry. Remember it was Edgar's cross that Occean knocked in against Cuba. It was a very good cross and he was also very good defensively.

What's frustrating about Floro, to me, is that he seems to hate passionate players. He want's them all to be professors. So edgar get's pissed that he doesn't see the field. The guy has been the Captain-apparent since his u20 days. HE WANTS TO WIN. HE WANTS CANADA TO WIN. Same with Osorio. So they flip their shit when things don't go their way, Floro can't seem to figure out how to use that passion. So he excludes them.

I won't get into this but I don't think Floro is vindictive, he just happens to have this dry and very flat Castillian character (even though he's not Castillian) where loyalty and honourability are very important. That is why he was successful at Albacete, it is the most Castillian team you will ever find.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, king1010 said:

let me be clear. im not blaming henry. He could still be a great CB. Im blaming floro for playing him out of position when we had more capable players. I'm not the only one who sees Henry out of position at RB. De Vos harps about it every chance he gets. 

I usually tend to agree with De Vos' analysis but not his harping about Henry being out of position. I don't think Henry is any better at CB and he probably would have given away a penalty if he was playing in that position anyways...it's just what he does. That being said though, I love his tackling and his energy was excellent so I was pleased with his performance as far as it goes. I think these games against Mexico were always unlikely to give us results so I don't mind that he was used as it gives him more experience and hopefully one day it will sink in that he has to smarten up. I'll be much more nervous if he's on the pitch for either of the next two games. I would not use him as CB, we have better options.

As far as Edgar is concerned, I'm surprised and disappointed he didn't make the field but I was very pleased to see James play so well. It's a very good sign as far as I'm concerned. I will agree with De Vos that a vocal leader on the defence is essential, I don't know how Edgar rates as far as that goes. Maybe Floro's concerned that Edgar won't follow his tactics on the field? 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are actually putting down Edgar by these wild speculations, since you are insinuating he did something to hurt his coach's butt. Are you sure he'd want you to be defending him on these terms?

yes

On 3/30/2016 at 3:05 PM, king1010 said:

floro is the idiot for starting guys who have played zero league games in defence instead of edgar who can play 3 defensive positions better than the guys ahead of him

not to mention edgar is a vocal leader which we lacked and could have helped on some man marking that lead to goals

something obviously happened. something like edgar calling out floros stupid defending from the 6 yrd line on set pieces. Or short corners. Or playing players out of position. And as has been the case in the past, floro is butt hurt and letting his ego take over while hurting the squad by not calling up or playing the best available players 

It's possible he was concerned about Edgar's athleticism, which isn't great, as opposed to a personal grudge, which is speculative. I think the same can be said for the Henry start. Rightly or wrongly, he probably didn't think his other options had the athleticism to keep up with the Mexican wingers.

That being said, I really do think he would have been a better option than Straith, who just isn't that good, and I agree that in a media market where soccer was a bigger deal, Floro would (rightly) get taken to task for it, regardless of his reasoning.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, shorty said:

Sheffield United are considering offering David Edgar a permanent deal following his release from Birmingham City #Blades #SUFC

I hope he gets to stay with Sheffield United. Not only would he continue to get regular minutes but he would probably benefit from the stability of staying in one place of a while. I'm not too fond of players jumping from team to team every year.

I would love to see Edgar in MLS, but let's be honest, no one will want him due to his passport. All 3 Canadian clubs have solid CB pairings for once (Moor/Perquis, Ciman/Cabrera and Waston/Parker) and don't have room for him. And we know how many opportunities are available on American MLS clubs for Canadians, which is slim to none.

I think it would be wise for him to sign a permanent deal in Sheffield. Starting time in League One is probably the best he can do in Europe right now, and probably comes with a half decent wage.

15 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I would love to see Edgar in MLS, but let's be honest, no one will want him due to his passport. All 3 Canadian clubs have solid CB pairings for once (Moor/Perquis, Ciman/Cabrera and Waston/Parker) and don't have room for him. And we know how many opportunities are available on American MLS clubs for Canadians, which is slim to none.

I think it would be wise for him to sign a permanent deal in Sheffield. Starting time in League One is probably the best he can do in Europe right now, and probably comes with a half decent wage.

Cabrera has been anything but solid this year. That is why Lefevre got 2 starts recently and was an improvement. Biello went back to Cabrera against Columbus but he was once again pretty poor. I hope and suspect that Lefevre will get the start on Saturday. I don't think Edgar would be a good pairing for Ciman though plus he usually plays on the left like Ciman.  

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Would be a reserve in the Championship, he's better off staying in League One and fight for a starting spot.

You should work as a scout.

Your multitude of offhand, flippant encapsulations throughout this board on every Canadian player is astounding.

I'm starting to wonder if David Edgar just isn't suited to the playing style (and the expectations of how CB's are supposed to play) in the English lower leagues. He's got height and he isn't a skinny guy, but yet i wonder if he's just not strong and/or aggressive enough for the liking of most managers in the Championship/League One environment (this was a complaint about him from a manager earlier in his career). Typically you'll find more clubs in those divisions playing with bigger target forwards and physicality from CB's is at a premium in dealing with those forwards.

My opinion of Edgar in watching him for Canada is that his strengths are his technique, positioning and reading the play. These qualities are less important in the lower English leagues than in most continental European leagues. There's a reason Malaga offered to buy a 19 year old Edgar on the spot for 1M Euro when they played Newcastle Reserves back in 2006. I wonder if he wouldn't be more appreciated in a league like Spanish Segunda or in any other less physical environment (I could see Edgar being like Gerard Pique, in that his height and strength would be an advantage in Spain and yet he can also play the game). I'm thinking he'd even have a better run and more PT in German B2 than the Championship and that's probably the most similar league to the Championship. Of course, Edgars' parents are English and he's at home in that country and the pay is much better than anywhere else, but maybe for the sake of his career he'd be better off looking abroad? 

4 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I'm starting to wonder if David Edgar just isn't suited to the playing style (and the expectations of how CB's are supposed to play) in the English lower leagues. He's got height and he isn't a skinny guy, but yet i wonder if he's just not strong and/or aggressive enough for the liking of most managers in the Championship/League One environment (this was a complaint about him from a manager earlier in his career). Typically you'll find more clubs in those divisions playing with bigger target forwards and physicality from CB's is at a premium in dealing with those forwards.

My opinion of Edgar in watching him for Canada is that his strengths are his technique, positioning and reading the play. These qualities are less important in the lower English leagues than in most continental European leagues. There's a reason Malaga offered to buy a 19 year old Edgar on the spot for 1M Euro when they played Newcastle Reserves back in 2006. I wonder if he wouldn't be more appreciated in a league like Spanish Segunda or in any other less physical environment. I'm thinking he'd even have a better run and more PT in German B2 than the Championship and that's probably the most similar league to the Championship. Of course, Edgars' parents are English and he's at home in that country and the pay is much better than anywhere else, but maybe for the sake of his career he'd be better off looking abroad? 

Edgar disagreed with Unnamed Trialist in what was the best second division in the world clearly

17 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Its time for MLS.  He'd be a huge star here.

I know this is repeated anytime a Canadian is available but I think you're spot on.  MLS teams generally lack depth/talent/experience on the back end.  This is a league where a guy like Drew Moor is considered a "good" defender.

Look at Toronto for instance, we're happy with Moor and Perquis but still an injury away from a backline disaster at all times.  Edgar's experience + ability to play across the backline and in midfield would make him invaluable to any GM in the league.  Players like that are pretty hard to come by and the ones that are versatile can stretch out their MLS careers even if they are mediocre. 

I could definitely see a US team using an international spot on him.  If guys like Jakovic, Hainault and Ouimette can have INT spots used on them I can't see any US teams being too fussed over using one on a versatile guy with PL/Championship/International experience.

On 5/11/2016 at 4:55 PM, BrennanFan said:

Its time for MLS.  He'd be a huge star here.

7 hours ago, Keegan said:

I know this is repeated anytime a Canadian is available but I think you're spot on.  MLS teams generally lack depth/talent/experience on the back end.  This is a league where a guy like Drew Moor is considered a "good" defender.

Look at Toronto for instance, we're happy with Moor and Perquis but still an injury away from a backline disaster at all times.  Edgar's experience + ability to play across the backline and in midfield would make him invaluable to any GM in the league.  Players like that are pretty hard to come by and the ones that are versatile can stretch out their MLS careers even if they are mediocre. 

I could definitely see a US team using an international spot on him.  If guys like Jakovic, Hainault and Ouimette can have INT spots used on them I can't see any US teams being too fussed over using one on a versatile guy with PL/Championship/International experience.

Only problem is that he'd have to suck up a serious pay cut. I'm sure a club like Sheffield could probably offer him double what he'd get as a veteran utility, but not clear starting, MLS defender.

money isnt everything.  He'd be closer to home, after years of struggle in Europe.  And when I say he'd be a star, I dont just mean for his football, which would be an asset to most teams, he'd be a great media interview, the kind of player north american fans would appreciate and get behind, he'd be popular, probably be a Captain and all star similar to Will Johnson.  Its time.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived