David Edgar

forster01

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is prioritizing his club career (his bank account). He must not think that playing in friendlys - ie. long term preparation, familiarizing himself with Hart's gameplay, building chemistry with the other National Team players - is very important.

He obviously thinks he can walk onto the team come WCQ. If he even cares at all anymore.

If Edgar does not show up for the Gold Cup, he should not be called again. We have options. Nana and Jakovic and Straith are good enough for our purposes.

Can't blame Edgar for wanting to get a good run in with his club, hes had a really crappy time at Burnley but now seems to be doing okay at Swansea right?

I thought his loan to Swansea was only for last season and he is currently again riding the bench for Burnley.

He is prioritizing his club career (his bank account). He must not think that playing in friendlys - ie. long term preparation, familiarizing himself with Hart's gameplay, building chemistry with the other National Team players - is very important.

He obviously thinks he can walk onto the team come WCQ. If he even cares at all anymore.

If Edgar does not show up for the Gold Cup, he should not be called again. We have options. Nana and Jakovic and Straith are good enough for our purposes.

*Zing*

Geez. Don't hold it in, what do you mean?

What a load of crap. He's had trouble establishing himself at the club level for the last couple of seasons now and is looking to concentrate on his club play, you know in order to actually have some sort of professional career beyond say oh I don't know, THE-NEXT-PRACTICE.

Under those circumstances taking a pass on a couple of meaningless internationals isn't some sort of sin, it's just proof positive that he isn't a complete retard.

Edgar may or may not be an important part of the mix for the next round of WCQing. A lot of factors will be involved in deciding that, factors within as well as outside of his control.

That's life. It's the same for pro-footballers and the monkeys on the factory floor alike. We're all slaves to circumstance.

"Under those circumstances taking a pass on a couple of meaningless internationals isn't some sort of sin, it's just proof positive that he isn't a complete retard."

Just so we're clear he didn't "pass" on these qualifiers, he wasn't asked. He didn't have choice to come or not because there was never an invite. And from what I understand he won't be asked again until he approaches the MNT coaches and starts a dialogue about returning to the team.

Strange that some fans are so quick to give up on a 23 year old central defender with 23 appearances at the Premier League level. But then, maybe they think Premier League coaches give appearances out like candy

Just to be clear, there have only been 4 Championship league games this year. Edgar started one and was on the bench for two. The fourth when he did not play was the next game after the expulsion and was probably the suspension as a result of the red card. Incidentally, the red was the result of two yellows.

Edgar also played the full 90 in the League Cup game that took place 10 days after the red card.

I can understand why Edgar may have asked to stay with his club just as many national team players for other countries have done during the period following the World Cup. With a 23 year old central defender, we need to think of his continued development so that he can be the best he can be in two years time. 23 years is young for a central defender in the same way that hockey defenceman are considered young at 23.

And if it's true that Canadian coaches are going to wait for him to ask to be considered again, they are equally ridiculous. Selection should be based on the best available players that will develop the best team possible in time for when it really counts. If player selection is based on anything other than that, we need to change the coaches.

And if it's true that Canadian coaches are going to wait for him to ask to be considered again, they are equally ridiculous. Selection should be based on the best available players that will develop the best team possible in time for when it really counts. If player selection is based on anything other than that, we need to change the coaches.

I think the quote from Hart about Edgar was that he didn't answered the calls when he was ask, so the ball is in his court. I could underatand that if you are a MNT coach and a player seems disinterested by your calls, it's up to him to show the interest because you have shown that you would like to have him with you.

He should really talk to Terry Dunfield, another Canadian EPLer who had an up and down career, and what it means to get a call-up.

I really think he is really concentrating on his club commitments, but he should really return Hart's phone calls, as a professional courtesy.

Or is he, as Brennan Fan suggests, not caring anymore? IMHO McKenna, Jackovic, Attakora, De Jong, and Straith have performed well enough for many of us to not notice Edgar's absence.

Hart on Edgar: "I did not make contact with David. It's going to have to be a situation where I meet with him and we have some discussion. He has not answered the call when called upon and David and I will have to discuss that."

Thanks, that was the quote I was thinking of. Despite what some have been saying to defend Edgar here, I think that if he's contacted by the MNT coaching staff he has to show some interest in return. Not answering the calls is a lame way to act IMO, at least talk to the coach and tell him why you aren't going to be there. A lot of posters have said he's concentrating on his club career but unless I hear a direct quote from him or SH about this I will treat this as pure speculation.

He should really talk to Terry Dunfield, another Canadian EPLer who had an up and down career, and what it means to get a call-up.

I really think he is really concentrating on his club commitments, but he should really return Hart's phone calls, as a professional courtesy.

Or is he, as Brennan Fan suggests, not caring anymore? IMHO McKenna, Jackovic, Attakora, De Jong, and Straith have performed well enough for many of us to not notice Edgar's absence.

I dont care. Not that that matters. :)

Jesus are we really this quick to turn on people like David Edgar? This is one of the guys in our U20 failure who looked like he would've died in a Canada shirt if the coach asked him to. We don't know the full story, we barely have a sound bite from Hart and we're saying fvck this kid? Awesome, great support. PS David and his pops called The Whore out for being a grade A prick. He's one of us.

Jesus are we really this quick to turn on people like David Edgar? This is one of the guys in our U20 failure who looked like he would've died in a Canada shirt if the coach asked him to. We don't know the full story, we barely have a sound bite from Hart and we're saying fvck this kid? Awesome, great support. PS David and his pops called The Whore out for being a grade A prick. He's one of us.

I don't agree with the idea that we can do without him but from the little we have right now (SH comments) I'm in the opinion that the burden is on David shoulders right now. If SH has really contacted him and Edgar hasn't called back, I'm not sure we should ask SH to bend on his knee to get him back into the fold.

One thing is clear, we need to get more info on that story and it would be nice if one of our blogger would try to get some comments from Edgar (or his Dad) about this.

On the September 5th version of Full Time, there is a 15 minute interview with SH starting at about the 50 minute mark. He is asked about David Edgar at the 1h3min mark. Basically, he states that he called David on two previous occasions and David chose not to go. It doesn't sound like David didn't return calls.

http://www.teamradio.ca/shared/podcast_rss.php?play=soccer_show

This is one of the guys in our U20 failure who looked like he would've died in a Canada shirt if the coach asked him to. We don't know the full story, we barely have a sound bite from Hart and we're saying fvck this kid? Awesome, great support. PS David and his pops called The Whore out for being a grade A prick. He's one of us.

I don`t think he`s a Begovic or Lensky type at all.

You know I`d like to think he`s still one of us, just that he`d rather concentrate on the club commitments at the moment. Sure the door`s not shut, but there are other talented Canadians playing first-team (Straith, Attakora, Jakovic, McKenna, Hainault, etc.) who answered the call, so

perhaps the discussion with Hart would clarify his intentions.

I'm wondering... if the 3 top divisions in England stop play for the weekend in order to support the national team, what harm would it do to Edgar's club career if he accepted a call up for our friendlies? It's not like he's missing any matches.

But he comes back the next week jetlagged as hell unlike his compatriots.

Relax everyone. Do not blow up some quote that could have been misinterpreted. From what I understand Edgar has always loved putting on the red and white; clearly he is going through a tough time right now at his club, and I am sure he wants to get that taken care of. All them whores got us shook, I know.

I don't buy all this about him wanting to concentrate on his club career. If I recall, when Jamie Peters was spending time on the bench and in the reserves for Ipswich, he still showed up when called. Did it hurt his career? Has he, as Cheeta suggested about Edgar, lost his football career because he was a retard and played for Canada? I'm sure the same can be said for many other players.

The fact is David Edgar has zero caps for the senior team, didn't show up for Olympic qualifiers, and hasn't played since the U-20 World Cup. This has to be more than a club issue, the guy doesn't have a desire to play. And if that is the case, I say we have players that want to put on the red and white. David should beg to be let back on the team before Hart gives him another call. That is one position we are strong at and Edgar cleary has no right to the spot.

Archived