David Edgar

forster01

It's better than playing in League One IMO.

He'll make a decent wage in MLS and play first team mins. Got about 4 good years left. He won't progress any further in his career in England. Might be time to come home

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what home is these days.  After years in the UK, that might be more home than K-W.  I'd be wary of a move to MLS if I were him - he has significant earning potential as a top defender in England's third tier.  We've seen a number of UK-based players head over here and not turn any heads.  Going over to MLS at a significant pay cut only to potentially not impress could be a route back to England Tier 4.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Ok possible reason why Floro did not play Edgar in the Mexico games: he considers him as more of a  central-midfielder!

http://www.concacaf.com/article/edgar-wants-to-help-canada-advance

Classic Floro! ? ? ? ?

He's like the coach version of this classic meme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

When I saw Edgar playing CM for us, my first thought was that Floro is grooming him to be Hutchinson's replacement. This post only reinforces that idea for me.

I remember but not the exact time he went on record saying this. I do remember though that Edgar played DM during the U-20 World Cup in 2005 (IIRC...) and that was considered his natural position. However, I believe by the time the 2007 edition rolled around he was already shifted to CB. 

As an aside, De Jong played on the 2005 team as a left midfielder and that was considered his natural position as well. Hainault I believe was one of the two starting CB's. 

Edgar played as DM during the U-20 World Cup but he was always a CB with Newcastle as a youth.  I don't believe that was considered his natural position at the time.  De Jong was a left midfielder at that time which was his natural position then.  And Will Johnson was a striker which was his natural position then where he split time there with Andrea Lombardo as the sole striker (both underage)

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

Edgar played as DM during the U-20 World Cup but he was always a CB with Newcastle as a youth.  I don't believe that was considered his natural position at the time.  De Jong was a left midfielder at that time which was his natural position then.  And Will Johnson was a striker which was his natural position then where he split time there with Andrea Lombardo as the sole striker (both underage)

You're right about Will Johnson and also Edgar's emergence as a CB with Newcastle, but I am not quite sure if he was considered a natural CB at the time, despite breaking through at that position with Newcastle. I do believe he played exclusively at CB with the club, but I also have a vague memory of a feature on Edgar that highlighted him as a CM.

It was a Canadian feature, so it's possible they were simply introducing him in the position he'd feature in at the tournament, but regardless I was left with the impression he was a CM, and this was my personal introduction to him, so it stuck.

Ironically, I had every opportunity to find this out for myself a few years before, as I am almost 100% sure he played in the 2002 National All Star championship for Ontario. I played in this tournament as well, but as I was an U-17 and he was an U-15, I never paid attention to him or this team (or any underage team, aside from the younger Newfoundland guys). It was only looking back through the rosters in the tournament booklets as a CanMNT fan that I said "hmmm...well David Edgar, Simeon Jackson, Tosaint Ricketts etc. were all here that year". 

3 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I remember seeing Edgar at LB at Newcastle? Or is my memory messing with me again? Didn't he score against Man U as a LB?

LOL I was just about to write saying to me it would have been very unlikely he scored that goal as a CB and I don't remember him in that position that day.

19 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I remember seeing Edgar at LB at Newcastle? Or is my memory messing with me again? Didn't he score against Man U as a LB?

Yes he did. He had been called up from the reserves where he was Capt. (and CB).

This is not a bad triangle midfield, if WJ injury does not heal up and even if it does heal..... This could be a decent triangle midfield.

Atiba- Arfield

Edgar

or

Edgar - Arfield

Atiba.

Honestly, I would be okay with that considering some of the other triangle mids we have rolled out the last 18 months.

5 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I would be OK with Edgar at CM alongside WJ and Atiba at DM, but only in the scenario where Arfield is RM and Henry is taking Edgar's spot at CB. Otherwise it seems like a waste

I can see Floro fielding a midfield like this, since he's so obsessed with CMs who are defensively responsible.

But Canada needs to get a goal somehow. So far, Arfield and Hutch at some sort of AM is really best chance to get some creativity out of CM. And Arfield at CM leaves the question of who plays RM? (I don't like Akindele at RM. Let alone Ricketts)

One day, Floro has to trust his players to attack more, but be responsible defensively too. Canada plays too scared to attack too many times esp through the centre and I'm all for defence first football. But you gotta take some risks sometimes

1 hour ago, Yohan said:

I can see Floro fielding a midfield like this, since he's so obsessed with CMs who are defensively responsible.

But Canada needs to get a goal somehow. So far, Arfield and Hutch at some sort of AM is really best chance to get some creativity out of CM. And Arfield at CM leaves the question of who plays RM? (I don't like Akindele at RM. Let alone Ricketts)

Although he obviously very slick and sound, I have never found Hutch to be terribly creative in an attacking sense. He passes crisply and accurately and has exceptional positioning, but has never been one to slice through defenses with ambition or creative flair.

2 hours ago, nolando said:

Although he obviously very slick and sound, I have never found Hutch to be terribly creative in an attacking sense. He passes crisply and accurately and has exceptional positioning, but has never been one to slice through defenses with ambition or creative flair.

He displayed this with FCK. I find it fursutating at times to not see him attack with "ambition" in recent years. I know he plays a holding role for us, but there are times when he's further up the field and in those moments, I often feel he needs to take more responsibility to make things happen. Perhaps it's only my perception, but I get a sense that he's capable of slicing through defenses, but instead he plays within himself, if that makes any sense....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
23 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

If he was hit while crossing the street, it's a common way to get an MCL tear, lateral force on the knee. Hopefully they catch the driver, he's out of contract and will definitely need restitution 

I think you mean his contract may not cover off-season injuries. If that is right - is that a standard clause in player's contract at that level?

He is still has another year left on his contract with Vancouver. 

17 minutes ago, WheatsheafSK said:

I think you mean his contract may not cover off-season injuries. If that is right - is that a standard clause in player's contract at that level?

He is still has another year left on his contract with Vancouver. 

Oh, I was under the impression he was in the re-entry draft. I guess he was just exposed in the expansion draft? 

Archived