2024 CanPL attendance

6 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Anecdotally, the Fury numbers might have been larger on paper but I find the CPL crowds much better. They feel more invested in the product and it helps to have actual, real away fans occasionally.

Good to hear.  I have enjoyed the atmosphere in Ottawa as well.

The difference right now between Atletico and the Fury in attendance is that the Fury would semi-regularly pull a crowd in the 6000s or 7000s for a regular game beyond their typical 4000 and 5000 size crowd.  Atletico has proven they can pull a big crowd for a special game but they need to start doing at least occasionally it for more typical matches if they want to go to the top of the league.

42 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Good to hear.  I have enjoyed the atmosphere in Ottawa as well.

The difference right now between Atletico and the Fury in attendance is that the Fury would semi-regularly pull a crowd in the 6000s or 7000s for a regular game beyond their typical 4000 and 5000 size crowd.  Atletico has proven they can pull a big crowd for a special game but they need to start doing at least occasionally it for more typical matches if they want to go to the top of the league.

Those fury numbers seem high, I’m not going to go back and check though so I could be wrong, I can remember being at a game against San Antonio Scorpions in October and there being like 1000 in the house.

Looking forward to opening weekend!  With the first games in Ottawa, Hamilton, and Victoria, we have a chance for a strong start in the stands.  Unfortunately, it will be the third rainy day in a row for the two Ontario cities which will cut down on causals.

11 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Looking forward to opening weekend!  With the first games in Ottawa, Hamilton, and Victoria, we have a chance for a strong start in the stands.  Unfortunately, it will be the third rainy day in a row for the two Ontario cities which will cut down on causals.

Last year's opening week had over 5000 per game. Will be tough to match that!

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Last year's opening week had over 5000 per game. Will be tough to match that!

With the good weather in the forecast I'm going to say 4000 in Victoria.

If we had good weather in Ontario, too, I'd say 6000 for each of Forge and Atletico in the home openers. 

As it is, I'll say 5000 in Hamilton and 4500 in Ottawa for an average of 4500 across all three games.  (Although I'd be happy to have underestimated things.)

3 minutes ago, Kingston said:

If we had good weather in Ontario, too, I'd say 6000 for each of Forge and Atletico in the home openers. 

As it is, I'll say 5000 in Hamilton and 4500 in Ottawa for an average of 4500 across all three games.  (Although I'd be happy to have underestimated things.)

It'll be 11 degrees and sunny in Hamilton at kick-off time tomorrow according to the Weather Network app. Pretty decent conditions, if a bit cool for this time of year.

Ottawa's not so lucky with the forecast, though.

28 minutes ago, Kingston said:

And Sunday's game in Vancouver I would think would pull that average down a bit more for the full weekend.

Ottawa - 5700 (they continue to gain momentum with some extra for a winning team)

Calgary - 4400 (continued, steady improvement)

Forge - 5500 (ditto)

Halifax - 5902 (because my son and I are making the trip out for the home opener)

Pacific - 3300 (they have plateaued)

Valour - 3200 (no reason to change for good or bad)

Vancouver - 2400 (no first game bump to boost the average)

York - 1500 (even this is optimistic but maybe the new owners can do something)

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Ottawa - 5700 (they continue to gain momentum with some extra for a winning team)

Calgary - 4400 (continued, steady improvement)

Forge - 5500 (ditto)

Halifax - 5902 (because my son and I are making the trip out for the home opener)

Pacific - 3300 (they have plateaued)

Valour - 3200 (no reason to change for good or bad)

Vancouver - 2400 (no first game bump to boost the average)

York - 1500 (even this is optimistic but maybe the new owners can do something)

I am really curious about the Vancouver numbers this season.  If the team starts like they finished last season, I hope there is a buzz and an an attendance bump.

17 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I am really curious about the Vancouver numbers this season.  If the team starts like they finished last season, I hope there is a buzz and an an attendance bump.

I hope they can get some buzz for an attendance bump that way.  I also hope they can figure out some fundamental level engagement with the local community to more permanently and significantly increase their attendance.

Their biggest, and unsolvable, issue, however, is that they're living in the shadow of the Whitecaps (who are having a great year so far).

20 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I live within 15 minutes from the stadium. I was not aware their home opener was this weekend until seeing it here the other day. And I'll grant you I wasn't actively looking for it. This is more of a comment that I really haven't seen much from them this year so far.

Interestingly, there's a card/collector show at the same location (well, the arena) this weekend. I'm planning to go Sunday, so will see if VFC promotes itself at all during this.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I live within 15 minutes from the stadium. I was not aware their home opener was this weekend until seeing it here the other day. And I'll grant you I wasn't actively looking for it. This is more of a comment that I really haven't seen much from them this year so far.

Interestingly, there's a card/collector show at the same location (well, the arena) this weekend. I'm planning to go Sunday, so will see if VFC promotes itself at all during this.

Yeah, marketing seems to be such an Achillies heel for the league. Obviously more exposure on t.v would be the best remedy for that, but since that's not happening right away, they have to start getting more creative in this regard.

1 minute ago, jdheid said:

Yeah, marketing seems to be such an Achillies heel for the league. Obviously more exposure on t.v would be the best remedy for that, but since that's not happening right away, they have to start getting more creative in this regard.

I know at the end of last season thr club discussed how they tried a number of things that didn't work. And they could absolutely be marketing in ways I'm unaware of for a variety of reasons (including that I'm not their target market).  I'm simply saying I live close and I didn't know about it.

46 minutes ago, jdheid said:

I have seen ads on Global BC "legacy media" tv for the opener.

More of a general comment then a prediction but in the grand scheme of things the CPL has good attendance, the kind which clubs significantly above us would love to have.

To take two examples relevant to CPL as comparison points: to be somewhat better than the Fury had to have among the best attendance numbers of both the NASL and the USL and Ross County, the big move of Loturi, clocked out at an average of around 4,100 last year. 

Now, other factors might be at play, such at the ticket prices being still somewhat low in CPL to build a fanbase and the broadcast situation (although even OneSoccer giving a fraction of what they agree might very well be more money than alot of the aforementioned bigger clubs with smaller clubs have seen in that regard) but when all is said and done it always come back to geography: travel costs are that big a milestone in that regard.

That's why expansion, and prefferably so important, to the point where I might have an unpopular hot take again and say we should swallow our pride on some of the standards when it come to instalations: it isn't just bringing the leagues to new markets and give more opportunities to players and staff, its also allowing the creation of conferences and divisions that would allow a bunch of money to go back to the national programs and/or to go to the league instead of being spent on travel costs.

Vancouver FC have a youth team promo ($180 per team) so that should bring in some kids to somewhat fill out the East Grandstand that the cameras face and that's usually sparser in attendance for most games.

Nothing else though for the home opener as of yesterday (no cheap food or beer mentioned). They do say the clubs new "Pitchside Pilsner" will be available but no price shown (tall boys were $11 last year). Missed opportunity I say, should have a $5 special for these tall boys for the opener. $5 beer night was one of the better attended games last year.

I don't think it will be a big opening crowd like last year, or even close to it. Hope I'm wrong.

• JamboAl changed the title to 2024 CanPL attendance