2024 CanPL attendance

48 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Great to see this level of attendance even though the game was played out of season and in the cold...

It was Chivas who are one of Mexico's big two along with Club America. This fixture was going to draw a good crowd because of the number of people from Mexico who live in reasonably nearby US states and to an extent also southern Ontario.

48 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It was Chivas who are one of Mexico's big two along with Club America. This fixture was going to draw a good crowd because of the number of people from Mexico who live in reasonably nearby US states and to an extent also southern Ontario.

I have no doubt the opponent helped - both because of Chivas fans from the area and because a Mexican team is a bigger draw than, say, a Honduran team.  Still a good crowd.

1 hour ago, shorty said:

I am assuming they ruled he interfered with the play? He definitely didn’t obscure the keepers view on the subsequent shot. 

Yes, that's what it appeared to be.

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Great attendance if for nothing else for Forge to put some scratch in their pockets. I think people lose sight of the fact that besides the glory the primary reason for teams all around the world to qualify for continental tournaments is to make money

Agreed. And to give valuable minutes to squad players in many cases. Meaningful minutes is huge, imo.

If you are a non-qualifying CPL team and you lose your first Vs Cup match there are precious few paydays or minute grabs with just the regular season ahead of you.

24 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

People who say the CPL won't work are really saying the CPL won't create enough revenue to sustain itself. Well what's 35×11,000? Not so simple I know but nice way to start the season for a team with a salary cap of around $500,000

The salary cap is actually more like $1.1 million but, yes, a big crowd or two does fill up the revenue column nicely.

This is where I'm hoping teams can start drawing big crowds for occasional big games (rivalry match, Canada Day special, whatever) even if they don't have a V-Cup or CCC match against a big drawing team.

25 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

People who say the CPL won't work are really saying the CPL won't create enough revenue to sustain itself. Well what's 35×11,000? Not so simple I know but nice way to start the season for a team with a salary cap of around $500,000

$500,000 is a bit low!

For the 2023 season clubs were required to spend between CA$750,000 and $1,125,000 on player compensation.

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-increases-to-salary-cap

The costs of the extra Mexico trip to prepare for this and opening THF in the middle of winter for a single game (almost certainly but never say never) won't have been trivial so think it needs an opponent like Chivas for this to be a moneyspinner. One thing I've not seen explained anywhere is how CanPL contracts work in this context. Are players on the hook to play in these games for their regular season salary or do they receive extra payments?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

11 hours ago, shorty said:

I am assuming they ruled he interfered with the play? He definitely didn’t obscure the keepers view on the subsequent shot. 

Think it was the initial pass first pass that was the problem. Schopf looks offside. But they didn't do a good job of replaying it or explaining it.

14 hours ago, narduch said:

Of the 5 CCC games this week, Forge had the highest attendance. 

Do you have the numbers for the other games? I couldn't find it with a quick check, but I did see that the only other stadium that hosted this week that could even fit that many fans is Communicaciones' stadium. I was surprised that Herediano's stadium is as small as it is (according to Wikipedia).

22 minutes ago, Kent said:

Do you have the numbers for the other games? I couldn't find it with a quick check, but I did see that the only other stadium that hosted this week that could even fit that many fans is Communicaciones' stadium. I was surprised that Herediano's stadium is as small as it is (according to Wikipedia).

They are on Fotmob. I'm on my phone or I would type them all out.

Communicaciones were the closest with 11,118

22 hours ago, narduch said:

Chivas hasn't been in Concacaf Champions since 2018, which is pretty wild 

While being a traditionally "big" club in Mexico with a massive following, Chivas haven't actually been "good" for a while.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2024 at 5:04 AM, RS said:

While being a traditionally "big" club in Mexico with a massive following, Chivas haven't actually been "good" for a while.

I think its because their domestic rule has become an obstacle. Even using Americans of Mexican heritage is a bit of a sore spot for their supporters 

• 3 weeks later...

With all the splashy signings Ottawa has made, does anyone know if they have had an difference in ticket sales so far? Their average attendance has grown substantially each season, last season by almost 900 fans per game. Could they challenge for top attendance this year if the team on the field and maybe a promotion push are as successful as their offseason seems to have been?

45 minutes ago, Kent said:

With all the splashy signings Ottawa has made, does anyone know if they have had an difference in ticket sales so far? Their average attendance has grown substantially each season, last season by almost 900 fans per game. Could they challenge for top attendance this year if the team on the field and maybe a promotion push are as successful as their offseason seems to have been?

I don't think CPL attendance will be driven by offseason player signs very often. I don't think the caliber of player is at a level where it does that.

On 4/5/2024 at 3:08 PM, Kent said:

I doubt specific signings will move the needle.  Winning will, though, which is what the team presumably hopes those signings will accomplish.

Ottawa does have room to challenge for top attendance in the league.  Last year's average of 4959 was their best ever and it is still ~10% below what the Fury drew in their best years.  Even just getting back to the Fury's numbers (best year 5482) would put them close and I'd like to think they could top that.

Anecdotally, the Fury numbers might have been larger on paper but I find the CPL crowds much better. They feel more invested in the product and it helps to have actual, real away fans occasionally.

Atletico ticket rep reached out to me a month ago to see if I had any interest in tickets this season, so they're on the ball at least.

1 hour ago, Mihairokov said:

Anecdotally, the Fury numbers might have been larger on paper but I find the CPL crowds much better. They feel more invested in the product and it helps to have actual, real away fans occasionally.

Atletico ticket rep reached out to me a month ago to see if I had any interest in tickets this season, so they're on the ball at least.

I hope you had interest.😁

• JamboAl changed the title to 2024 CanPL attendance