June 6th friendly v Netherlands

3 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

When I first saw it I assumed it was the women. When I took a closer look I was stunned. Assuming they are having a camp in Europe (assuming again we qualify for Copa), I hope they can add another match with someone else playing in the euros 

I'M BLUE DA BA DEE DA BA DIE

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I made a comment to friends that it won’t be much more expensive to go to Rotterdam than Atlanta, especially with the expected ticket prices for the Argentina game (if we make it).

Again, the train from Brussels airport is also easy, as it is really north of Brussels, south of Antwerp, and that same line will either take you direct to Rotterdam or with a change, but again, not too expensive and 90 minutes. So Rotterdam itself, Amsterdam, Brussels, find what you can as none of those options is a problem.

1 hour ago, Mihairokov said:

If Canada is looking to play another friendly I see that France only have one friendly scheduled against Venezuela on June 5...🙂

In a perfect world for me, we book a friendly a week later at BMO Field vs a decent South American opponent. Then head down to the US for Copa

Edited by narduch

The press release:

Canada Soccer announced today with the Royal Dutch Football Association that Canada’s Men’s National Team will play an international friendly against the Netherlands (Oranje) in the June FIFA Window. 

The match will take place on Thursday 6 June at Stadion Feijenoord, in Rotterdam at 20:45 (LOCAL) / 14:45 (EST). 

“We are very excited for our Men’s National Team to be playing a Top 6 FIFA-ranked opponent. The opportunity to play against the top teams in the world will serve as an opportunity to continue our development on the journey to our home FIFA World Cup.”

- Kevin Blue, incoming Canada Soccer General Secretary and CEO

This will mark Canada’s second-ever meeting with the Dutch. In the run-up to the 1994 FIFA World Cup, the teams met on 12 June 1994, at Varsity Stadium in Toronto.

Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team will face Trinidad & Tobago on 23 March in the Concacaf Nations League Play-In for one of the final two places at the 2024 Copa América competition this coming summer. The winner of the Play-In match will join already qualified Concacaf countries - Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, and the United States – along with the winner of the second of the two Concacaf Nations League Play-In matches played on 23 March between Honduras and Costa Rica, for a total of six Concacaf guest national teams in this summer's tournament. 

Canada Soccer are actively looking to schedule another opponent.

This is incredible, wow. Really don’t know what to do with this excitement. I don’t even care who that second friendly will be against, but if we’re not only booking the Netherlands but going there, when it looks like we’re swinging for the fences. Even though it probably isn’t the case, I’m giving all the credit to Kevin Blue, the lord and saviour of Canadian soccer. 

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

This is incredible, wow. Really don’t know what to do with this excitement. I don’t even care who that second friendly will be against, but if we’re not only booking the Netherlands but going there, when it looks like we’re swinging for the fences. Even though it probably isn’t the case, I’m giving all the credit to Kevin Blue, the lord and saviour of Canadian soccer. 

I suspect the Dutch are paying our travel, costs and a fee, as they'll fill the stadium and it benefits them to play a team not in Europe, one they haven't played at home, and with a few big names that will drive the interest. 

As the opening match at Copa, if we don't screw up, is a good 2 weeks later, I think we should be able to stay in Europe and find another friendly early the following week. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I suspect the Dutch are paying our travel, costs and a fee, as they'll fill the stadium and it benefits them to play a team not in Europe, one they haven't played at home, and with a few big names that will drive the interest. 

As the opening match at Copa, if we don't screw up, is a good 2 weeks later, I think we should be able to stay in Europe and find another friendly early the following week. 

I was curious about this as well. With all the talk over the years how we can't afford to have a big named friendly due to the cost. (Nevermind that 3rd world countries can no problem). How would this break down for us? Is there any way to find these details out?