June 6th friendly v Netherlands

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

To add, there is "better" and there is "better for the team/system" and those two are not always the same.

For example, if we are measuring a players ability, I would expect Bombito to be the best center back we have, but when you slot him into our team in place of Vitoria, is the team better? Are the players more comfortable with him? How about the communication? What about the leadership? 

These little factors are likely going to keep Vitoria in the team ahead of Bombito and others, until he drops a dud or two.

This is 100% how I feel. No one doubts that vitoria has the weakest agility and speed. But in terms of hard skills, hes arguably the best header, decent in possession comparatively, tackling is good but slow. However, its his communcation, calming demeanor, soccer IQ of when to slow things down, tactical foul, long balls, small tactical adjustments like dropping deeper for long balls etc that provide the real value of vitoria. 

Do they mask his weaknesses.... so far in a CMNT jersey, I would say absolutely yes. Is it going to continue? Do we have better options for the team? Thats unknown and up for debate. 

Edited by Bigandy

52 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

This is 100% how I feel. No one doubts that vitoria has the weakest agility and speed. But in terms of hard skills, hes arguably the best header, decent in possession comparatively, tackling is good but slow. However, its his communcation, calming demeanor, soccer IQ of when to slow things down, tactical foul, long balls, small tactical adjustments like dropping deeper for long balls etc that provide the real value of vitoria. 

Do they mask his weaknesses.... so far a CMNT jersey, I would say absolutely yes. Is it going to continue? Do we have better options for the team? Thats unknown and up for debate. 

For sure.

And seeing we are in the Netherlands thread, it will be interesting to see if Vitoria is chosen for this match. He'll be in the T&T match squad for sure and will likely start, but what comes after that? 

We win and qualify for Copa, I would say odds we bring him are at least 50/50. And since this game would be our prep, he's at least 50/50 to be selected, I would imagine.

We lose to Trinidad and I would think his chances of playing against Netherlands are near zero. Maybe he gets selected as a leadership guy, but much bigger chance we've moved on by then.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Vitoria is more than 50-50… hes a sure or near sure starter for Canada still.

I mean, I'd like to see Cornelius with him, or try a few of the others. But apart from Cornelius not one Canadian CB had made a case to replace Vitoria.

That's why I said "at least".

Agree with you on that combo. Cornelius has that little bit extra pace compared to Miller. That was the combo during the win over the states at BMO in 2019. Crazy that was almost 5 years ago now.

8 hours ago, Bigandy said:

november 2023 we beat a strong jamaica team with vitoria so please do not put words in my mouth over my assessment. 

No one could run on that field.  Bailey was spinning his wheels all match remember?  That's what gave Vitoria a chance to compete

8 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Theres nothing to suggest that I am comparing him to the vitoria of 3 years ago. Its a weak weak weak argument to try and prove yourself correct by incorrectly imposing your will over my opinion. Its disrespectful as well. 

He's not useless and theres no evidence that the other guys have surpassed him. Yes hes declining which is why cornelius is likely to start. But the sentiment that 2 of waterman, mcnaughton, bombito and ZMG are OBVIOUSLY better than him is just not true. Theres an argument hes been surpassed but its debatable which is why i disagreed that its "wild" to consider vitoria a top 2 RCB.

He plays for a really bad team with a really bad defense and he has bad stats as well.  Looking at his CANMNT competition and their results, stats and the teams they play on will give you a very good idea of what we're dealing with TODAY.  But I really suggest you watch him play.  He was benched for todays match.

12 hours ago, costarg said:

No one could run on that field.  Bailey was spinning his wheels all match remember?  That's what gave Vitoria a chance to compete

He plays for a really bad team with a really bad defense and he has bad stats as well.  Looking at his CANMNT competition and their results, stats and the teams they play on will give you a very good idea of what we're dealing with TODAY.  But I really suggest you watch him play.  He was benched for todays match.

I dont understand how bailey spins tires but vitoria has traction? If the field is garbage, its garbage for both. in fact, its probably harder for vitoria to turn and run channels than bailey to run in the direction hes facing. Theres also a case that a bad field forces more long balls over the top than interplay. How was richie able to run in behind for staqs goal if the field is so trash? What about a long ball to larin where he spins a prem cb for davids goal. These instances could have happened vs vitoria but they didnt. He deserves more credit than... it was just a bad field. 

Yes the field suited him more but its not fair to say that vitoria was only able to compete due to the field. We deal with the hand we are dealt and he dealt well. 

Again, its this nonsensical double standard. Vitorias good performances have nothing to do with him and its every other reason hes good. The other CB's bad performances are nothing to do with them, its all the other factors. 

Sure we all agree he plays on a bad team etc. thats not a strong enough justification to say its "wild" to consider him a top 2 RCB. The fact that many on the board here have him starting shows that its up for debate and therefore not "wild". 

20 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I dont understand how bailey spins tires but vitoria has traction? If the field is garbage, its garbage for both. in fact, its probably harder for vitoria to turn and run channels than bailey to run in the direction hes facing. Theres also a case that a bad field forces more long balls over the top than interplay. How was richie able to run in behind for staqs goal if the field is so trash? What about a long ball to larin where he spins a prem cb for davids goal. These instances could have happened vs vitoria but they didnt. He deserves more credit than... it was just a bad field. 

Yes the field suited him more but its not fair to say that vitoria was only able to compete due to the field. We deal with the hand we are dealt and he dealt well. 

Again, its this nonsensical double standard. Vitorias good performances have nothing to do with him and its every other reason hes good. The other CB's bad performances are nothing to do with them, its all the other factors. 

Sure we all agree he plays on a bad team etc. thats not a strong enough justification to say its "wild" to consider him a top 2 RCB. The fact that many on the board here have him starting shows that its up for debate and therefore not "wild". 

Once again, watch Chaves and Vitoria play, not old games, recent.  Then tell me if he looks fit enough compared to the others.  He and his defense are bleeding goals, he is not even the best CB on his team.

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Once again, watch Chaves and Vitoria play, not old games, recent.  Then tell me if he looks fit enough compared to the others.  He and his defense are bleeding goals, he is not even the best CB on his team.

Vitoria shouldnt be compared to chaves players etc. He should be compared with our other RCB options which 2 are not clearly, 100%, no debate, better than vitoria.  

31 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Vitoria shouldnt be compared to chaves players etc. He should be compared with our other RCB options which 2 are not clearly, 100%, no debate, better than vitoria.  

Obviously Biello has been watching Chaves and Vitoria.  It's just common sense.  Nothing personal.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, narduch said:

One Soccer confirmed they will broadcast this friendly

Would be shocked if they don't sell the rights to TSN. Would be a perfect opportunity to advertise both Euro and Copa. Arguably our biggest profile friendly oin almost 15 years.

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Would be shocked if they don't sell the rights to TSN. Would be a perfect opportunity to advertise both Euro and Copa. Arguably our biggest profile friendly oin almost 15 years.

I don't think so. TSN could have just outbid them in the first place.

TSN don't seem interested. Did they show a single match this past window?

Even Fox had the foresight to broadcast England v Brazil as a way to promote both the Euro and Copa.

Edited by narduch

9 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Far from a perfect opportunity as it is a weekday match. Then, it will be overlapping with an afternoon Jays game that won't leave too many viewers for whatever will be on TSN ex any excited NBA fans and possibly fans of a Canadian NHL team.

That's because the NBA Finals start later in the evening and the Stanley Cup Finals will have started earlier in the week. So, a Canada men friendly that week is going to gain little to no mind share amongst the typical Canadian sports fans. 

Edited by red card