CONCACAF Nations League 2023/2024 - Group Stage & ¼finals - General Thread

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

You think this is very confusing, are you paying attention to Europe these days?

https://talksport.com/football/1603374/republic-of-ireland-need-to-lose-netherlands-euro-2024/

Sorry it's off topic, but that format is insane.

As soon as they introduced UEFA Nations League several years ago, as a way to qualify for the EUROs I knew that eventually there would be weird scenarios.

In a weird schadenfreude-ish kind of way, I'm happy it isn't just CONCACAF doing weird things.

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

As soon as they introduced UEFA Nations League several years ago, as a way to qualify for the EUROs I knew that eventually there would be weird scenarios.

In a weird schadenfreude-ish kind of way, I'm happy it isn't just CONCACAF doing weird things.

I'm happy this scenario is coming up before CONCACAF copies that format. I assume UEFA will do the right thing and make changes to eliminate this kind of a possibility in the future.

Edited by Kent

I'm sure Ireland will go out and lose 'honorably' to the Netherlands, but I would love it if they just filled the net with own goals to rub UEFA and FIFA's nose in it.  Set a record, be legends.  See how many goals they can score before Infantino interrupts the game saying "I feel Irish".

So CONCACAF released an article to demystify how the Quarter Final pairings will be determined, and they did a terrible job in my opinion. Before the article I understood what was happening. Then I read the article and it confused me. Then I read parts of it again to get back to my original understanding.

https://www.concacaf.com/nations-league/news/how-the-concacaf-nations-league-qf-pairings-are-determined/

This paragraph is horribly misleading.

"The top-ranked League A team (based on the Concacaf Rankings as of October 2023), will play against the lowest-ranked group runner-up, while the second-ranked League A team, will play the highest-ranked group runner-up."

When reading that paragraph you need to keep in mind what the article said X paragraphs earlier.

"The quarterfinal pairings will pit the four top-ranked League A teams against the winners and runners-up of Group A and Group B. The winners and runners-up in Group A and Group B will be ranked by the number of points accumulated during the group stage."

And that paragraph itself doesn't make it clear that you couldn't have a runner up being the 2nd ranked team based on points, if they had more points than the winner of the other group.

25 minutes ago, king1010 said:

How are the March play in matchups determined? 

aka how do we play trinidad if we lose in November. 

Is it concacaf rankings?

I was hoping they would clear that up in the article I just linked to, because that would make sense... but they didn't bother with that. Probably the format will be dependent on who is playing in the playoffs, cause CONCACAF.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

So CONCACAF released an article to demystify how the Quarter Final pairings will be determined...

They just republished what was in the rules document but with no additional information or clarification.

2 hours ago, king1010 said:

How are the March play in matchups determined?

And of course they didn't answer that question!

39 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Does anyone know when tickets go on sale for non supporters section? 

From Canada Soccer: "Tickets to the Tuesday 21 November match will launch with presale windows starting Tuesday 17 October followed by a public on-sale date of Friday 20 October"

Am I missing something? Based on my understanding of the situation it stands is as follows:

Pot A rankings (based on CONCACAF rankings):

1. Mexico

2. USA

3. Canada

4. Costa Rica

Pot B rankings:

1. Jamaica (group winner, 10 points, +5)

2. Trinidad & Tobago (group leader, 9 points, +3)

3. Honduras (group runner up, 7 points, +7)

4. Panama (current group runner up, 7 points, +4)

The quarter final matchups are straightforward. A1 vs B4, A2 vs B3, etc.

Barring some Costa Rican victory over Brazil that I haven’t heard about, we are locked into Pot A - seed 3, and will play Pot B - seed 2. That translates to the following:

• As things currently stands we play T&T
  • If Trinidad & Tobago win against Curaçao, OR Panama wins by 2 or more against Guatemala, then we play Jamaica. 
  • If T&T lose or draw, AND Panama win by 1* (1-0, 2-1-3-2), then we play Panama. *If Panama win by one, and score 5 or more goals (5-4, 6-5, etc), then we play Jamaica. If Panama wins exactly 4-3 in this scenario, then they are deadlocked with Jamaica on PTS, GD, and GF. I’m not sure what the next tiebreaker is? Fair play points?
  • If T&T draw, and Panama lose or draw, we play T&T
  • If T&T lose, AND Panama lose or draw, AND Martinique win against El Salvador, AND Martinique overcomes their -4 GD against T&T, then we play Martinique. If Martinique fails to overturn GD, we play T&T

I think I got everything, but I may have omitted a case in there somewhere.

2 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Am I missing something? Based on my understanding of the situation it stands is as follows:

Pot A rankings (based on CONCACAF rankings):

1. Mexico

2. USA

3. Canada

4. Costa Rica

Pot B rankings:

1. Jamaica (group winner, 10 points, +5)

2. Trinidad & Tobago (group leader, 9 points, +3)

3. Honduras (group runner up, 7 points, +7)

4. Panama (current group runner up, 7 points, +4)

The quarter final matchups are straightforward. A1 vs B4, A2 vs B3, etc.

Barring some Costa Rican victory over Brazil that I haven’t heard about, we are locked into Pot A - seed 3, and will play Pot B - seed 2. That translates to the following:

• As things currently stands we play T&T
  • If Trinidad & Tobago win against Curaçao, OR Panama wins by 2 or more against Guatemala, then we play Jamaica. 
  • If T&T lose or draw, AND Panama win by 1* (1-0, 2-1-3-2), then we play Panama. *If Panama win by one, and score 5 or more goals (5-4, 6-5, etc), then we play Jamaica. If Panama wins exactly 4-3 in this scenario, then they are deadlocked with Jamaica on PTS, GD, and GF. I’m not sure what the next tiebreaker is? Fair play points?
  • If T&T draw, and Panama lose or draw, we play T&T
  • If T&T lose, AND Panama lose or draw, AND Martinique win against El Salvador, AND Martinique overcomes their -4 GD against T&T, then we play Martinique. If Martinique fails to overturn GD, we play T&T

I think I got everything, but I may have omitted a case in there somewhere.

The question is in regards to the loaer playoff. There is nothing documented regarding how that seeding will be determined.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

The question is in regards to the loaer playoff. There is nothing documented regarding how that seeding will be determined.

Never mind that defeatist talk- what is the seeding for the four team Finals in March should be the question.

(also probably good to know the playoff seeding. )

Edited by Redpunkfiddle