General MLS Talk 2023

Big_M

Ok - hear me out.  Play a 34 game regular season.  All teams make the playoffs.  Teams are seeded for one-game elimination, but if the higher seeded team loses, they have the option of using their TAM money to bid for a do-over game.  In the next round, teams are seeded according to the amount of allocation money they have.

The math doesn't work for a 29 team league - but I'm sure Garber can sort it out.

MLS announced the broadcast pairings. Looks like there is continuity for Caps as Price/Dolan are together. They should be primary for home matches at least.

Likely Ed Cohen/Greg Sutton should be primary for CFM home matches in English. Cohen comes from MSG doing Knicks & Red Bull. In French, there should be continuity with Lord/Destouches being the primary duo.

Cullen/Le Toux and Brett/Bernier will likely do TFC & Caps in French. I don't see an obvious pairing for TFC in English.

Liam McHugh & Kaylyn Kyle will host the MLS 360 whip around show. Analysts will be Kljestan, Wright-Phillips with rules expert Christina Unkel. Pregame show is called MLS Countdown and postgame show is called MLS Wrap Up. 

They also listed which matches will be free on Apple for the first month. All are free in week 1. In week 2, of the Canadian teams, only SJ v Caps is free. In week 3, Nashville v CFM is free. In week 4, TFC v Miami and LAFC v Caps are free. I wonder if these free matches will also be the matches shown on TSN/RDS.

For the whole league in the first month, there are 6 matches/week that are free via Apple.  Fox is also showing a match/wk for the first 3 weeks.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/apple-and-major-league-soccer-unveil-live-event-production-plan-and-talent-pairi

Edited by red card

41 minutes ago, red card said:

MLS announced the broadcast pairings. Looks like there is continuity for Caps as Price/Dolan are together. They should be primary for home matches at least.

Likely Ed Cohen/Greg Sutton should be primary for CFM home matches in English. Cohen comes from MSG doing Knicks & Red Bull. In French, there should be continuity with Lord/Destouches being the primary duo.

Cullen/Le Toux and Brett/Bernier will likely do TFC & Caps in French. I don't see an obvious pairing for TFC in English.

Liam McHugh & Kaylyn Kyle will host the MLS 360 whip around show. Analysts will be Kljestan, Wright-Phillips with rules expert Christina Unkel. Pregame show is called MLS Countdown and postgame show is called MLS Wrap Up. 

They also listed which matches will be free on Apple for the first month. All are free in week 1. In week 2, of the Canadian teams, only SJ v Caps is free. In week 3, Nashville v CFM is free. In week 4, TFC v Miami and LAFC v Caps are free. I wonder if these free matches will also be the matches shown on TSN/RDS.

For the whole league in the first month, there are 6 matches/week that are free via Apple.  Fox is also showing a match/wk for the first 3 weeks.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/apple-and-major-league-soccer-unveil-live-event-production-plan-and-talent-pairi

Great summary! I was also unsure who would do English TFC matches. Maybe there are others to join. Maybe shared broadcasters with TSN?

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

Great summary! I was also unsure who would do English TFC matches. Maybe there are others to join. Maybe shared broadcasters with TSN?

I'm wondering if there will be any permanent pairings for any team and that it'll be more like the NFL: Top play-by-play pairing calls the game of the week and down the list we go. 

45 minutes ago, Metro said:

I'm wondering if there will be any permanent pairings for any team and that it'll be more like the NFL: Top play-by-play pairing calls the game of the week and down the list we go. 

Yes, the view is that it will indeed be like the NFL at the very least for English broadcast of American teams. With Zivin/Twellman listed first, I'm going to assume they're the number one pair.

Angus Reid survey on fandom for sports leagues released last week covered the MLS.

Ontario leads at 11% who follow very closely to closely. BC is at 9% and Quebec is at 8%. Nationally, 69% don't  follow MLS at all.

Demographics of those follow very closely to closely skews urban, male (by only 1%), 18-34, <$50k household income, <=high school education, English language, Indigenous/visible minority.

https://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/2023.02.06_NFL-V-CFL-Press_release_tables.pdf

Screenshot 2023-02-16 221729.jpg

Edited by red card

6 hours ago, red card said:

Angus Reid survey on fandom for sports leagues released last week covered the MLS.

Ontario leads at 11% who follow very closely to closely. BC is at 9% and Quebec is at 8%. Nationally, 69% don't  follow MLS at all.

Demographics of those follow closely to closely skews urban, male (by only 1%), 18-34, <$50k household income, <=high school education, English language, Indigenous/visible minority.

https://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/2023.02.06_NFL-V-CFL-Press_release_tables.pdf

Screenshot 2023-02-16 221729.jpg

Its quite interesting that the male / female split is fairly close.  I thought it would be skewed more male so its nice to see it isn't.  Also surprised that % wise there are more hardcore supportes in the Atlantic provinces than anywhere else (but also the highest (with the prairies) who don't give a shit).  Urban / Rural split doesn't surprise me at all.  And its reflected in where soccer players in the MLS (and national team come from) which is very different than the NHL for example.

17 hours ago, red card said:

Here are the CFM matches that will be on RDS. Month of May has most at 4 while it is largely 1/month for the rest. One TFC match is part of the mix.

Good to keep in mind that from late July to mid-August is the Leagues Cup, so the gap in the schedule isn't quite as bad as it seems.

Phil Neville is wondering about the playoffs:

“We’re six days, seven days out from the first game of the season, we don’t know the playoff format. I think that’s poor,” Neville said. “When you’re talking about professionalism, and ‘elite,’ I think when you’re seven days out from the start of the season — we’ve had talks here, and one of our players asked one of the MLS guys the other day ‘what’s the playoff system’ and they were like, ‘We don’t know.’ And I’m like, ‘That’s not elite.’ You’re talking about differences between the U.K. and the U.S.? We talked about the intensity of the fans. (This is another) big difference.”

He added that things like contracts, sponsorships and season tickets hinged on knowing the schedule, too.… My question is who is figuring it out? Is it Apple? Who is wagging the dog?”

https://theathletic.com/4226091/2023/02/18/mls-playoff-format-phil-neville/?source=user_shared_article

Edited by red card

Interesting how Girona is doing well with their transfers from NYCFC, Castellanos is their leading scorer, and transitioned very quickly. Now Alex Callens has transferred there and is showing well. Yangel Herrera was also at City and is there. 

Mind you, the latter two have European experience and have had loans in the City Group system, so they're not starting from nothing.

The top level of  MLS should be a natural step to a top league, mostly talking about modest clubs though.

11 hours ago, red card said:

Phil Neville is wondering about the playoffs:

“We’re six days, seven days out from the first game of the season, we don’t know the playoff format. I think that’s poor,” Neville said. “When you’re talking about professionalism, and ‘elite,’ I think when you’re seven days out from the start of the season — we’ve had talks here, and one of our players asked one of the MLS guys the other day ‘what’s the playoff system’ and they were like, ‘We don’t know.’ And I’m like, ‘That’s not elite.’ You’re talking about differences between the U.K. and the U.S.? We talked about the intensity of the fans. (This is another) big difference.”

He added that things like contracts, sponsorships and season tickets hinged on knowing the schedule, too.… My question is who is figuring it out? Is it Apple? Who is wagging the dog?”

https://theathletic.com/4226091/2023/02/18/mls-playoff-format-phil-neville/?source=user_shared_article

I don't think Phil needs to worry about the playoffs.  I don't think he'll be around by the time they start.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The top level of  MLS should be a natural step to a top league, mostly talking about modest clubs though.

I could start to see that.  Right now, it's sort of the reverse - top clubs in more modest leagues.  Nothing wrong with that either.