HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

Just an aside on the permanent stadium talk. The CFL is clamoring for one again, the Wanderers need one and the Iconic Halifax Form now needs renovation totaling 110M. In a time where tent cities are popping up all over the city and working people cant even afford rooms to live in there is no way these 3 projects can get done just on a political basis. 

Many people don't realize and see Halifax is in crisis as there is no housing. Just in my neighborhood alone in the last month 3 tents have popped up with people living on grass in the middle of 2 roadways. Politically its going to be difficult to secure public funding for one of these projects let alone 3 in a time where the homeless population is literally exploding.

Edited by grasshopper1917

Maybe we need to change the mindset on how people view these things? A stadium has nothing to do with affordability and nothing to do with a massive drug problem we have in this country. It may have something to do with lack of purpose because even dumb things like sports and entertainment can give people purpose and a reason to grind out life and wake up every day and do the things that allow you to put an actual roof over head. But im big on affordability, I see it every day in Vancouver. The fact of the matter is we have way more people then we have houses. Period. I'm talking about 500 Sq foot boxes in the sky right next to the free drug supply. I'm talking about homes that make life worth living especially in a miserable Canadian winter. Build more homes until there is no one left to put them in them. That or stop bringing people here. One or the other. I really hope the people of Halifax don't by in to the same old lies and equate tent cities with a modest stadium 

Edited by SpursFlu

Ryan James out for the season as he gets surgery...they dont give a precision on what it is and the way they put it the surgery wasnt mandatory but he decided to do it in the interests of his playing career...they are applying the roster relief provision for season ending injury so maybe getting ready to bring in someone

https://canpl.ca/article/wanderers-defender-ryan-james-out-for-season-with-injury

So I'm obviously incredibly fired up about Henry, and still relishing the return of Morelli. But now that we've gotten to know the new players, and with the excitement of the summer window... what is everyone's current favorite XI? What would you like to see Patrice experiment with?

I really like the idea of a 3-5-2 given our current pieces. Henry, Nimick and Loughry playing as the 3 CBs. Fernandez is obviously a competent wingback and while Ferrin is undoubtedly a much more attack-minded player, I prefer him on the wing. I don't know if its terrible to have Fernandez as a defensively-focused WB where as Ferrin is more attack minded but plays on the left wing. Callegari as a six with Rampy and Daniels in front of him. Then put Morelli in front of the midfielders and let Coimbra a little higher up still and I think we have an incredibly formidable group of guys on the field! 

Have to admit I'm undecided about the move.  Henry last played when & where exactly?  Name dropping doesn't win you shit.

Not suggesting this isn't a good signing.  Just suggesting it remains to be seen, and it may be a bit before Wanderers realize any real benefit from this signing.  Certainly not over the back half of 2023. 

Could be wrong.  We're going to find out. 

6 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Have to admit I'm undecided about the move.  Henry last played when & where exactly?  Name dropping doesn't win you shit.

Not suggesting this isn't a good signing.  Just suggesting it remains to be seen, and it may be a bit before Wanderers realize any real benefit from this signing.  Certainly not over the back half of 2023. 

Could be wrong.  We're going to find out. 

Meh. I've admittedly been a fan of his for a while. Despite being susceptible to his brain shutting off at the worst possible time once or twice a season, he is a solid and phsyical defender. He brings some size and experience to our squad. He is fun to watch. I'm excited. 

In terms of play time he had 5 appearances for LAFC and 7 for TFC in 2022. He trained and played with the MNT up until November as well. So he has effectively been out for 8 months. Far from an unrecoverable hiatus IMO.

did start a next pro game in May...72 minutes...his team conceded 3 in the time he was on the field but wasnt directly at fault on them...looked slow on the third compared to those youngsters...anyone he has a very good level if we are talking about cpl...if he doesnt get injured it should be a strong signing...might be what solidifies hfx's playoff push

I'm hoping he has some impact on our road performance.  We need to win a couple of games on the road down the stretch.  I know the travel is a big factor but it seems like we're just a level below our home performance.  Having him on the field on the last game against Cavalry, even if it was just the last 30 minutes may have been enough to hold the draw or provide the backline confidence we needed to sneak the win.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

did start a next pro game in May...72 minutes...his team conceded 3 in the time he was on the field but wasnt directly at fault on them...looked slow on the third compared to those youngsters...anyone he has a very good level if we are talking about cpl...if he doesnt get injured it should be a strong signing...might be what solidifies hfx's playoff push

Conceded 3 in the time he was on in MLS Pro you say interesting .

I wonder how many times the Friends of the Commons rented out the Wanderers Grounds.  I've never seen them down at the protests 🤪.

During the podcast there was an interesting point made about consideration of the field becoming artificial.  As much as that pains me it would open up the possibility for more use without risking the turf conditions.

All of this aside if we are serious about the long term viability of the Wanderers in this location the biggest issue in my opinion is that you can't play on it before May.  We couldn't play our home Canadian Championship game there this year and after we win the league this year (I'm kidding! Maybe 😁) where would we play a Concacaf Champions League game (at home) if we had to?

• 2 weeks later...