HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Copes said:

Have there been any rumors around Halifax regarding roster decisions? We've heard from a couple teams but nothing from the Wanderers yet.

I haven’t seen anything.  I suspect we’ll need to pick the head coach first so they can have some input.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 11:33 PM, K Edgar said:

Dorado was an interesting member of the coaching staff and someone a lot of folks initially assumed would be Hart's successor. I know there has been a lot of talk about team turnover, I think this likely cements that we will see more big changes. Out with the old.

5 hours ago, Copes said:

This is a huge loss for the team. Along with Morelli and Rampersad he would have been one of the few "must return" players when conducting a roster review for 2023. Fuck. 

Can't help but think maybe things would have been different if a new manager was already in place. I mean, if your contract is up and you know there is interest from other clubs (not that I'm saying there is in any of these cases), you would be more inclined to see what is on offer if your club doesn't have a manager in place.

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Can't help but think maybe things would have been different if a new manager was already in place. I mean, if your contract is up and you know there is interest from other clubs (not that I'm saying there is in any of these cases), you would be more inclined to see what is on offer if your club doesn't have a manager in place.

No doubt. But didn't the club have the option to extend him? 

3 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Maybe, but wouldn't that have been the managers decision?

Undoubtedly if there was a manager in place he would have input. With no manager I assume it comes down to Derek and Matt. And if the new manager is nearing, they could presumably wait? I of course don't know exactly how the contracts work. 

I'm assuming JGL approached them and asked them not to execute their option. It's all I can figure. If they had the manager hired and just not announced yet (but were beginning roster decisions) you'd think we'd be hearing about more players not having their options executed. Since we aren't... I figure this is a one-off. 

Pure speculation of course. Disappointing though, really and truly I figured he would be one of the few returning players. 

2 hours ago, Copes said:

I know of Vaughan, I don't know much about Gheisar as a guy. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

I don't know much about him either but pretty much any Ontario player of any stature or status that did not go through Sigma went through Gheisar (and likely some of the ex Sigma lads as well).

4 hours ago, Copes said:

I know of Vaughan, I don't know much about Gheisar as a guy. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Great guy, great coach. A lot of success and praise is given to Carmine Isaaco, but he’s definitely up there too.

He was my coach for 2 seasons at North York Hearts before he went to Azzuri.

He’s had a big influence on a lot of guys playing at Vaughan. A big reason for guys like Miller, Johnston, and DSC for who they are today!

He loves the guys with personalities and who show their skill on the field. Something that was looked down upon in my days (OSA/CSA had a lot of British influence aka get your head down, get stuck in, and know how to play flat balls into the “mixer”)

Patrice did a lot for me, and others (specifically for the guys who’s parents didn’t have a clue of what to do.) 

If he’s the coach, HFX has gotten a new fan. 

I'd have to imagine he brings some L1O influence with him. 

Notable names he coached last season at Vaughan:

Massimo Ferrin - 2022 L1O MVP and Golden Boot winner. Scored 23 goals in 15 matches. Only 23 and spent the previous season in the USL Championship. Another Canadian who came through Syracuse in the NCAA.

Kosi Nwafornso - 25 years old, signed with Forge in 2021 but never played a match. Spent time in USL Two previously as well as four years in the A10 with St. Bonaventure. Scored 16 goals in 11 matches for Vaughan in the regular season, and capped it off with a hat trick and MVP in the finals.

Alejandro Portal - 27 year old right back who already spent a season with HFX. Former Cuban international. Started nearly every match in Vaughan's championship run.

Daniel Gogarty - 25 year old centre back who disappeared from soccer after not being renewed by York in 2019. Played 20 games in the inaugural CPL season. Spent some of last season with TFC II in Next Pro before returning to Vaughan where he became a 90 minute starter down the stretch.