HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

Could be just a rumor but I thought I read somewhere that there’s concern about Morelli’s recovery from his ACL injury.  It wasn’t too long ago those took at least a year to recover from.  I’ve noticed lately that pro athletes have been to turn it around in 8-12 months though.  If he is delayed or can’t play this year that could be the spot that opens up for second keeper.

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Does it seem that the CPL has more season ending injuries than other leagues, or does it just seem that way because I follow the league more than any other.

I don't think so. Lots in the premier league and that runs a good 2/3  months longer. There is absolutely some factors like smaller squads and the quality of the pitches, training etc. That probably factor in too though.

Also hope that doesn't turn out true regarding Morelli. Would explain why they have stocked up in the front line though. 

just what I feared when he did surgery+recovery in brazil...the risk of either getting lazy on recovery or not having the right ressources for recovery...now looks like he will be back at the earliest in july which is more than a year after surgery and much longer than the usual return to play for pros with this injury...might even miss the whole season with that wording

”We’ve built our roster so that we were prepared for this scenario and look forward to the possibility of João rejoining the squad when the time is right.”

so basically could miss the entire season and the rest of his contract and then say bye bye

https://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/7-burning-questions-as-hfx-wanderers-enter-soccer-pre-season/Content?oid=30367364

As the VFC squad is rapidly starting to come into more focus and other clubs like Ottawa and Pacifc are continuing to strengthen, the gamble on youth and potential over star factor is starting to show at HFX. I love the upside in this squad but with the Morelli blow this week there is a whole lot of unknown involved here. 

There are a lot of solid players and as mentioned huge potential (imo) but is there a standout "star" like Sandoval, a Bustos of Bekker that you would pinpoint in the team or is that actually an advantage if they can gel without the distraction of a star player and the chance to create their own? 

I'm loving that the league in general seems to be taking another step forward in terms of talent coming to the league but I hope HFX continue to Crack the code of creating and making from within.

15 hours ago, toontownman said:

https://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/7-burning-questions-as-hfx-wanderers-enter-soccer-pre-season/Content?oid=30367364

As the VFC squad is rapidly starting to come into more focus and other clubs like Ottawa and Pacifc are continuing to strengthen, the gamble on youth and potential over star factor is starting to show at HFX. I love the upside in this squad but with the Morelli blow this week there is a whole lot of unknown involved here. 

There are a lot of solid players and as mentioned huge potential (imo) but is there a standout "star" like Sandoval, a Bustos of Bekker that you would pinpoint in the team or is that actually an advantage if they can gel without the distraction of a star player and the chance to create their own? 

I'm loving that the league in general seems to be taking another step forward in terms of talent coming to the league but I hope HFX continue to Crack the code of creating and making from within.

I whole-heartedly agree that we have a hugely unknown squad, but am I out of line to suggest that Ramps can hang with all those names and is effectively our "star" in Halifax?

7 hours ago, Copes said:

I whole-heartedly agree that we have a hugely unknown squad, but am I out of line to suggest that Ramps can hang with all those names and is effectively our "star" in Halifax?

Personally? There is a slight advantage of not having a "star" player in a squad. I mean, if a team has an obvious star player, any opposition will look to keep said player quiet. Is there is no apparent star player, the opposition has to focus on the team as a whole. I believe that not having an obvious star player will be an advantage to HFX this year. Especially when there is a new manager with new ideas too.

Gotta love Gheisars approach. Hope he is there for a good while and the youth grow with this team. Seems a long term approach but the HFX fan base is hungry. Will be a balancing act. Still hard not to want to root for this teams success.

https://northerntribune.ca/halifax-wanderers-schilte-brown-stewart-baynes/

Edit: 

Edited by toontownman

Players of that age/profile are exactly the type of signings the CPL should be mandating across the league.  Sign them, give them real contracts, actually play them, help our youth national teams have a bigger pool than to pick from the 3 MLS clubs.. and by 19/20 move/sell them on while they are actually desirable for the top leagues... In other words just copy what our neighbors down south are doing in the USL/Next Pro😉

FWIW for those who don't know, Kimani is a big talent.  

5 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Players of that age/profile are exactly the type of signings the CPL should be mandating across the league.  Sign them, give them real contracts, actually play them, help our youth national teams have a bigger pool than to pick from the 3 MLS clubs.. and by 19/20 move/sell them on while they are actually desirable for the top leagues... In other words just copy what our neighbors down south are doing in the USL/Next Pro😉

I agree it’s the type of player a lot of CPL teams should be signing… but mandating, I’m not so sure

32 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I agree it’s the type of player a lot of CPL teams should be signing… but mandating, I’m not so sure

Why not?  What's more valuable to the league/national teams/Canadian talent pool?  Signing the best 16/17 year olds, developing them and getting them 1000+ professional minutes or focusing on older players 21 years old + coming out of the college system?  Which one of those players has a better chance of making it at the highest levels, which one is more valuable to the club's from a financial standpoint?  Yes, you're going to get the few guys in the latter category who do well and move on to the MLS, but the former is where the league is really going to make money on the transfer market and build a reputation and brand in the marketplace.  

Look at Joshua Wynder in the USL Championship, 17 years old and 2700' professional minutes.  Will be sold for $1m-$2m this summer.  Of course that's not going to happen with every player, but at least by 18-19 the players will still be of age to join a top European academy side for a decent fee + strong financial incentives on the back end like future payments based on progress, sell-on fees etc.

just my opinion of course!

Edited by Footyeh

9 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Why not?  What's more valuable to the league/national teams/Canadian talent pool?  Signing the best 16/17 year olds, developing them and getting them 1000+ professional minutes or focusing on older players 21 years old + coming out of the college system?  Which one of those players has a better chance of making it at the highest levels, which one is more valuable to the club's from a financial standpoint?  Yes, you're going to get the few guys in the latter category who do well and move on to the MLS, but the former is where the league is really going to make money on the transfer market and build a reputation and brand in the marketplace.  

Look at Joshua Wynder in the USL Championship, 17 years old and 2700' professional minutes.  Will be sold for $1m-$2m this summer.  Of course that's not going to happen with every player, but at least by 18-19 the players will still be of age to join a top European academy side for a decent fee + strong financial incentives on the back end like future payments based on progress, sell-on fees etc.

just my opinion of course!

For many reasons, and it’s not necessarily because I disagree with what you say about developing young players. I want my club doing more of that. However, I do feel if young players are signed and receive minutes only because it’s a league mandated rule and not based on merit it immediately devalues their minutes and potentially their sales value. I also don’t feel like handing young players a contract and minutes that don’t necessarily deserve it is a good development strategy  

Generally, I’m not a big fan of league mandated roster rules though. I’d rather clubs decide how they want to build their rosters so they each have their own identify. I also just want to see the best product on the field possible, and for my team to focus on winning, as well as developing players. 

Additionally, CPL has a younger average age than USL, and this is what Ongaro had to say about NextPro, “CPL has a really good idea of giving Canadian the chance to start their careers and make it professional as well as for older Canadians to have a place to continue their career and having a place to play. It makes it a league that is a bit more balanced, whereas Next Pro is more for the younger academy guys. Those who may not want to go the University route and want to get into the professional game, and it creates a young, immature league. Not that it isn’t good, but younger and less experience is more of an opportunity league compared to what I see the CPL doing of creating a more professional league.”

Edited by Aird25

16 hours ago, Footyeh said:

"real contracts, actually paying them" could be an issue with U-Sports and/or NCAA eligibility.  I believe I read one of them has NCAA commitments for the fall.

4 hours ago, K Edgar said:

"real contracts, actually paying them" could be an issue with U-Sports and/or NCAA eligibility.  I believe I read one of them has NCAA commitments for the fall.

I think this will be a major caveat until the league's reputation and competitive level increases. Some younger guys aren't going to be willing to take the risk of signing a professional contract in the CPL and ruling themselves ineligble for USports or NCAA.