HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

This last article makes some interesting points.  So far after four games I'm growing concerned about the role we have Rampersad in.  I remember a few years ago he was talking about how he was brought in for this role but acknowledged Morelli could do it better during the Island Games.  Now that we've got him up front again this season he doesn't seem to quiet fit, whether it's final distribution of a key run.  Hopefully he keeps growing into it but I'm wondering if perhaps he should switch with Callegari who looks to be able to distribute at will.

There's also Mo, who is a captain but doesn't seem to be able to play in the center of a back two.  I still think the central role back 3 with 2 wing backs might be a better fit than the role in the back 4 we have him now.

Depth is great but the best spot for Callegari, Ramper and Mo could be just in front of the backline which means someone might have to sit.

I keep telling myself it's too early... once we hit the quarter way mark (7 games) I hope Geishar sorts this out or benefits from an injury that sorts it out for him.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:10 PM, Lurker said:

This last article makes some interesting points.  So far after four games I'm growing concerned about the role we have Rampersad in.  I remember a few years ago he was talking about how he was brought in for this role but acknowledged Morelli could do it better during the Island Games.  Now that we've got him up front again this season he doesn't seem to quiet fit, whether it's final distribution of a key run.  Hopefully he keeps growing into it but I'm wondering if perhaps he should switch with Callegari who looks to be able to distribute at will.

There's also Mo, who is a captain but doesn't seem to be able to play in the center of a back two.  I still think the central role back 3 with 2 wing backs might be a better fit than the role in the back 4 we have him now.

Depth is great but the best spot for Callegari, Ramper and Mo could be just in front of the backline which means someone might have to sit.

I keep telling myself it's too early... once we hit the quarter way mark (7 games) I hope Geishar sorts this out or benefits from an injury that sorts it out for him.

Some interesting thoughts. I think (hope?) Rampy will grow into it. Callegari is playing in his preferred position and he is so solid that I would worry about moving him. Rampy as well is in his preferred position, but it's after two years of playing as a six. He needs games to get back into the flow of a more attacking role. 

I'm not worried yet. 3 points against 3 tough opponents - 2 on the road. Undefeated. Sparks are there. I think this team is gelling and I think the first win is going to unlock them a bit. We've scored 3 goals. No team has more than 4. We are keeping pace.

2 hours ago, Copes said:

So, through four games, what do we think of Fernandez being played in a much more advanced role?

I would say, so far so good.  He scored a goal in the opener and he's strong on the ball and wins a lot of battles.  I thought yesterday he did a good job of getting the ball back across goal and generated some potential chances.

His accuracy on crosses is hit or miss.  I wouldn't mind seeing him take a few more runs with the intent to get a shot off.

What do you think? 

On 5/7/2023 at 11:53 AM, Lurker said:

I would say, so far so good.  He scored a goal in the opener and he's strong on the ball and wins a lot of battles.  I thought yesterday he did a good job of getting the ball back across goal and generated some potential chances.

His accuracy on crosses is hit or miss.  I wouldn't mind seeing him take a few more runs with the intent to get a shot off.

What do you think? 

Honestly. I don't know yet. 

It's a hangup of mine (and often a bad one) but I would rather see players - particularly standout players with lots of growth potential - get minutes in their natural / preferred position. My default is to want to see him in the RB role. 

Now, that said... I think he has done great up top. He looks good and is obviously threatening and creative. He scored. All positives. Ferazzo had slotted in just fine in the RB role in the mean time. He looks great as well. But if our right side if Fernandez and Ferazzo, than Timeteo is sitting out. And he is a player I feel is a solid addition to the lineup as well. I think that he is creative. We know he can score based on his last season. I think that he probably should be starting there. 

The challenge is that we end up missing out on one of the three guys, all of whom are proving to be excellent on the Right. I think Gheiser has been favoring Fernandez / Ferazzo because Riley is familiar with Gheiser's system and how he wants his RB to move into the midfield on offense. Zach brings a different flavour to the RB role - being more traditional and barreling down the side. 

Still, I think once one of Fernandez or James gets really comfortable with tucking into the mid we may see more of Fernandez in the RB position. All speculation on my part of course. I feel like Timeteo / Fernandez is probably my preferred right side... but I feel bad saying that because Riley has played so well so far. 

It's a good conundrum to have but I have been hoping I could adopt someone else's opinion since I'm so conflicted haha. 

@CopesThe way Gheisar has the LB or RB roaming freely on attack I’d consider unnatural and therefore the system will prohibit Fernandez from being in a natural Right (Wing) Back role for the foreseeable future.  He’ll either have to earn the trust to play it the way the system dictates or play as centre right fullback (because the LB is roaming forward).

I like that he’s still on the field in a different role and contributing.  I think that promotes his growth even if it looks unfamiliar or unnatural.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Honestly... pretty much the missing piece of the puzzle. Our goal scoring has needed a shot in the arm. I can't imagine a better boost. 

I feel like I'm as excited as Inter Miami fans right now.

yup but obviously they will make place for morelli and hopefully hes what they need...though the whole thing was handled in a weird way...at the pro level you dont tell a player go have surgery in your country and call us back in a year if you still wanna play...specially when still under contract and its one of your best players...but whatever moving forward

I completely forgot about Morelli (shame on me).  In the the last picture I saw I think he was on a beach in Brazil and figured that was the last time we'd ever see him.  Hopefully he's 100% in form by September (I'll take earlier though).

Unrelated, Rampy is going to leave the squad for a game or two (maybe three) to join Trinidad & Tobago.  I think the feedback we'll get without him on the field for a few games is critical.  There's been the whole "he's too good not to have on the field" combined with the "let's jam a square peg in a round hole" situation by placing him in a more offensive role.

Also unrelated, it looks like we're in for some showers tomorrow so I need to get my rain gear sorted. 😁

Edited by Lurker

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

yup but obviously they will make place for morelli and hopefully hes what they need...though the whole thing was handled in a weird way...at the pro level you dont tell a player go have surgery in your country and call us back in a year if you still wanna play...specially when still under contract and its one of your best players...but whatever moving forward

Sorry what I meant was I thought while he was under contract that meant he was one of the bodies counting on our roster.

EDIT: Just reread the article and caught the last paragraph. For some reason I thought he was still listed in our 23.

Edited by Copes

There’s a mention of the Wanderers’ field as a possible cfl expansion site.  That would be hard on the grass, plus seating would need to expand.

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/09/they-have-to-pull-us-in-randy-ambrosie-willing-to-explore-other-options-for-cfl-expansion-if-atlantic-canada-cant-deliver/

Edited by cornerkick

1 hour ago, cornerkick said:

There’s a mention of the Wanderers’ field as a possible cfl expansion site.  That would be hard on the grass, plus seating would need to expand.

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/09/they-have-to-pull-us-in-randy-ambrosie-willing-to-explore-other-options-for-cfl-expansion-if-atlantic-canada-cant-deliver/

Better to have a cozy 6000 to 8000 seat expandable SSS.

9 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Better to have a cozy 6000 to 8000 seat expandable SSS.

Oh great another oversized stadium is just what the CPL needs , going to a game with 6000 people in it but staring at 14000 empty seats . Hopefully it doesn’t happen and Halifax keeps it’s stadium at what it is now , has to be one of the better places to watch a game in the country when it’s packed which it usually is .

18 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Oh great another oversized stadium is just what the CPL needs , going to a game with 6000 people in it but staring at 14000 empty seats . Hopefully it doesn’t happen and Halifax keeps it’s stadium at what it is now , has to be one of the better places to watch a game in the country when it’s packed which it usually is .

I agree with you that the stadium should be practical for soccer. Not sure where the 14,000 empty seats comes from. How many fans does the Halifax stadium hold? Could it be "fixed up"? Does it need to be?

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

I agree with you that the stadium should be practical for soccer. Not sure where the 14,000 empty seats comes from. How many fans does the Halifax stadium hold? Could it be "fixed up"? Does it need to be?

If they get a CFL team there and expand it to say 20000 and their attendance stays at the 6000 is what I was getting at .

I was watching the Concacaf Champions league final and the stadium was packed, it was rocking, the announcers were drooling over the environment, talking about how LAFC is such a success and its the hottest ticket in town. Then later in the game the announced it was obviously a sellout. 21k people with easy over a thousand Leon fans.

Huh?

If there were 21k people at BC Place for a Champions League final with over a thousand away fans it would be considered a huge embarrassment 

The point being, we don't need to build giant stadiums. Just friggin build something and don't cheap out. If the CFL was smart they'd get tighter with the CPL and build 15 - 20 k stadiums and make them mint. Tight, state of the art, all the bells and whistles. Get creative with the design. You don't need to look like the NFL because it ain't gonna happen. You could open up multiple markets. If you did that in just say Vancouver Island or the Okanagan it would kill. But of course it's impossible to get anything done in Canada so there's that

Edited by SpursFlu